PDA

View Full Version : OT - What's your mobile music setup?

wortgefecht
2014-11-03, 08:46
Ever since I got my first Sony Walkman as a kid in the 1980ies, one would almost never see me in public without headphones. I went through the whole evolution of mobile music players: several Walkmen, later Discmen, I even had a Minidisc once. In the late 1990ies I got myself a Rio PMP 300 and got introduced to the lossy world of MP3s. After several MP3 players I started using my mobile phones for that purpose, first Nokia, later Android phones. Finally, streaming services. But a few years ago, I stopped with the casual listening of music everywhere and started a more 'serious' habit of dedicated listening at home (unearthed my vinyl collection and ripped all my CDs to FLAC).

For some time now my work life requires extensive travel by train (1+ hours trips) and frequent overnight stays at hotels. Unhappy with the sound quality of my mobile, I first bought a Fiio Alpen E17 DAC and started using my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro from home. This was fine, but a bit unhandy, since disk space is very limited (FLAC, remember?). Also, always starting up my laptop seems unpractical. So I did some digging and decided, that I am unwilling to pay fantasy prices for one of these fancy new lossless players out there (Fiio, Astell & Kern). Luckily, I stumbled upon Rockbox, an open source alternative firmware for MP3 players. I still have an old Philips GoGear HDD6320 player, which I didn't use anymore, because it only supports MP3 and WMA and only works with Windows Media Player (moved to Linux ages ago). So I installed Rockbox on it, which supports FLAC, and filled the 30 GB storage with some of my music. Now I hook the Fiio DAC with my Beyerdynamic to it and am completely happy while travelling and staying in hotels :)

Long story short: What is your mobile setup and what are your experiences with it?

matka
2014-11-03, 12:27
Unhappy with the sound quality of my mobile...Now I hook the Fiio DAC with my Beyerdynamic to it and am completely happy while travelling and staying in hotels :)

Long story short: What is your mobile setup and what are your experiences with it?
Were you dissatisfied with flac from your phone ? Is DAC a must ?

In case the above is not true, very happy with subsonic server streaming from home to where I happen to be, flac or ogg or mp3, from cache or real streaming, easy to set up especially if you like to tinker.

wortgefecht
2014-11-03, 12:41
Were you dissatisfied with flac from your phone ? Is DAC a must ?

No, not really. As a matter of fact--low disk space aside--I felt like untangling the music listening from my phone and move it back to a dedicated device. That's why.

In case the above is not true, very happy with subsonic server streaming from home to where I happen to be, flac or ogg or mp3, from cache or real streaming, easy to set up especially if you like to tinker.

I thought of a streaming solution, too. But since I use my phone for internet access most of the time while travelling, I decided not to do so.

JJZolx
2014-11-03, 13:21
This isn't a traveling setup, more of a gym/workout system.

I have a SanDisk Sansa Fuze v2, and also a Sansa Clip Zip, with some 32GB μSD cards. But I only use the Clip these days. I've always used Rockbox on them and I doubt that I'd consider a DAP that couldn't run Rockbox. I use several different pairs of inexpensive to moderately priced IEMs.

My music collection is all in FLAC, but I also maintain a duplicate library mirrored in Mp3 (using LAME -V2). I only load and listen to Mp3s on the Clip. I wrote a script some years ago that syncs music from the Mp3 library to the Clip's internal and card storage by going through a couple of text files that list albums and playlists to be loaded to the player. That's worked well, as I can't deal with the tedium of using Explorer to load up many gigabytes of files.

wortgefecht
2014-11-03, 13:44
This isn't a traveling setup, more of a gym/workout system.

Well, as mentioned before, I stopped listening to music 'on the go' some years ago, i.e. while walking, running, or being outdoors in general. So my setup is for being on the train or in the hotel.

I have a SanDisk Sansa Fuze v2, and also a Sansa Clip Zip, with some 32GB μSD cards. But I only use the Clip these days. I've always used Rockbox on them and I doubt that I'd consider a DAP that couldn't run Rockbox. I use several different pairs of inexpensive to moderately priced IEMs.

I tried several IEMs, never got to like them. So over-ears it is. I also have a headphone bag in which both the Fiio DAC and the GoGear fit into.

JJZolx
2014-11-03, 14:07
Well, as mentioned before, I stopped listening to music 'on the go' some years ago, i.e. while walking, running, or being outdoors in general.

I don't either. Never did, in fact. Only when working out and even then, usually just when stretching and doing cardio.

get.amped
2014-11-03, 16:46
As soon as I made the leap from flip-phone to smartphone, I bought a 64GB SD card for it (Samsung SIII) and loaded it up with FLACs. I pair that with a variety of output devices depending on the situation: Koss Porta-Pros for quiet environments, in-helmet speakers for skiing, JVC active noise-cancelling for loud environments and a rechargeable Bluetooth portable speaker for outdoor gatherings. I used the JVCs this weekend while running a gas-powered, handheld brushcutter to clear trails at the local ski area.

matka
2014-11-03, 17:47
I thought of a streaming solution, too. But since I use my phone for internet access most of the time while travelling, I decided not to do so.
Sorry but I don't see the conflict here. If you need to preserve the bandwith (either becasue you use it or don't want to pay for it) then cache permanently when at home with wifi, it is fabously fast and beats manual download.

An offer, if you want to try streaming from subsonic, pm me and I will give you an url/user id/password. I usually use ogg -q6 but I can stream in any configuration including flac which is really an overkill.

Pascal Hibon
2014-11-04, 00:40

At first I used a Wandboard with CSOS in a small enclosure that holds a hard drive. I called it msqueeze (http://www.msqueeze.co.nf/index.html). The drive is sync'd with my NAS when at home and so it holds my complete music library. I used iPeng with playback enabled as the streamer device. This works very well but I found a smaller solution.

The hart of my smaller solution is a WD Mypassport Wireless (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330) 2TB drive. I initially bought this for my photography needs; it is able to backup an SD card as soon as you plug an SD in it. But I now also use it to hold a copy of my entire music collection. It has an dlna server on board and I still use my phone as a streamer (with a dlna client installed). The WD drive is also sync'd with my NAS (music folder) so it is always up to date. Works great.

probedb
2014-11-04, 04:20

Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, Westone UM3x with custom molds. No need for anything else. Expandable storage and the Clip has excellent sound quality.

cliveb
2014-11-04, 05:09
Rockboxed 8GB Sansa Clip+ with 32GB SD card.
Shure e2c IEMs with Comply foam tips.
Lame MP3s.

Still have an old Rio Karma (now there was a classic in its time) with 32GB CF card (installed after hard disk died), but its battery life has deteriorated so isn't really very useful on the go.

RonM
2014-11-04, 13:32
I don't often listen to music on the go, except in my cars and occasionally in the commuter train. For the latter I use my smartphone with good quality earbuds (Klipsch).

We have two cars. One is a Hyundai Sonata which has a very nice sound system, but had mediocre speakers (woofers in the door, tweaters in the dash aimed up at the windshield). I upgraded the speakers and am very pleased with the sound. For my other car, which didn't have a USB input for flash drives, I upgraded the sound system and the speakers. Speaker placement is not as perfect as in the Hyundai, but still sounds acceptably good. I feel no need to go to big woofers, my hearing is attenuated enough as it is.

My library is maintained as two parallel sets, one largely lossless except when I only have a lossy version, and another which is lossy MP3s. When I rip a CD using dBpoweramp, it is set to automatically rip a flac version to my master archive and also to my online server, and a 320 MP3 to my lossy archive. When I download flac files, I put them in the archive and the server, and convert to 320 MP3 for the lossy archive. I use the lossy archive to populate my smartphone, and to build flash drives for playing in the cars. I routinely make up flash drives with all my newer music, and often get first listens in the car. I also make playlists of various sorts (e.g. alternate takes of the same song by different artists, male/female duets, etc) and play those.

I fly a lot for business, and use Bose noise-cancelling headphones. I sometimes play from the smartphone, but more often from a tablet. Again, lossy files. I don't think anyone can tell the difference between flacs and 320s even with the best equipment, much less while mobile.

R.

banned for life
2014-11-04, 19:33
memphis audio in the enclosures (it has boxes with passive radiators on all four corners.)

jl audio 6W3 in sealed enclosure per jl specs .(75in MDF. (hey, I didn't try to shop)

250 jl bass amp

pioneer premium head unit.

Less than 1K for "can't stand it"

BFL

Julf
2014-11-05, 04:33
Still happy with my Empeg cars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car)

wortgefecht
2014-11-06, 13:24
An offer, if you want to try streaming from subsonic, pm me and I will give you an url/user id/password. I usually use ogg -q6 but I can stream in any configuration including flac which is really an overkill.

Thanks, but I keep a mp3 backup of my FLAC files in Google Play Music and do some streaming with that service--if necessary.

BTW: is it possible to stream with LMS outside the own home network? I don't think so.

get.amped
2014-11-07, 10:00
BTW: is it possible to stream with LMS outside the own home network? I don't think so.

Definitely possible, particularly if you are only accessing MP3 quality tracks; bandwidth required for FLACs could be a problem depending on your home ISP's upload speed and whether you can get 4G on your mobile device. But not necessarily easy for non-IT folks: most people would need a dynamic DNS hostname service and either a VPN endpoint (recommended!) or port forwarding through their firewall. I set this up for some friends with FiOS (home upload speed is 40MBps) so they can access LMS from various remote locations using their Surface devices.

pippin
2014-11-07, 10:06
Yea, definitely. I do this a lot, too.
There's a setup guide on penguinlovesmusic.de although I definitely would recommend to use a VPN instead

wortgefecht
2014-11-07, 10:53
Nice, thanks, I will look into it. I have 100 mbit/s up- and downstream ;)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

pippin
2014-11-07, 10:59
Oh, Kabel Deutschland? They technically don't allow the use of VPNs...

wortgefecht
2014-11-07, 11:12
Oh, Kabel Deutschland? They technically don't allow the use of VPNs...

No, Switzerland ;) Fibre optic provided by our local energy provider. VPN should work.

pablolie
2014-11-11, 12:30
FLACs (for jazz and classical) and MP3s on Samsung S5, and Shure SE530 that provide complete isolation even in loud environments. I fly and travel a fair amount, and need good music to relax during travel or before going to sleep. An important combo for me, hence the relatively pricey in ear monitors... I find the music quality on the S5 surprisingly good, and supposedly the Apple IPhone6 measure up to true audiophile standards.

aubuti
2014-11-12, 13:08
I'll reciprocate and cut my long story short, thus sparing you the step-by-step details of the full evolution from my 128MB Creative MuVo (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-NOMAD-MuVo-Player/dp/B00006JHWQ) and crappy earbuds to the present day. My current modus operandi is convergence (fewer devices) and traveling light. I use my iPhone 5s and Shure SE315 in-ear monitors with MP3 copies from my at-home FLAC library. I use it on planes more than anything else, and even with the IEMs the background noise is enough that I don't mind the MP3s.

Oh, and in the car I currently use the iPhone and one of those ancient adapters that pipes the iPhone's headphone output through the car's cassette player. It's a 19 year-old car, and the speakers sound like it.

Dogberry2
2014-11-14, 09:07
I always rip CDs for my home LMS system to both FLAC and MP3 (using dbPowerAmp's multi-encoder), so I have both formats available. My carry-around music is about 400+ albums in MP3 on my Android phone, with a pair of Sennheiser PX 200 II headphones, which are nice because I don't like in-ear phones. These are collapsible and fold up small, but have a very good sound. I use those mainly in airports and planes and hotels.

My car is a Ford with their Sync system, and I plug a 64GB USB stick into it containing about 900 MP3 albums (Sync seems to have an unofficial limit of about 10,000 tracks, and gets flaky if I try to feed it more). I like the Sync system a lot, for the convenience of being able to just speak the name of the album (or artist, or genre) I want to play. I spend a lot of time in the car, and having such easy access to a wide variety of music (augmented by Sirius radio) is great. Sure beats the days of tapes (I go back to 8-track days) and even CDs. Pawing through boxes of tapes or books of CDs looking for a specific album while trying to drive was never fun, and it always seemed like the album I was most in the mood for couldn't be found when I wanted it.