PDA

View Full Version : SB Duet as an expansion plan?

mgraves
2014-11-03, 08:30
Hello All,

I've had Squeezebox since the original Slim Devices SB3. In fact, my first SB3 remains in service, although we now have four SB3/Classics. We had a SB-Touch but it failed outright while still quite young.

Halloween is a big event around our home, requiring the use of two SB to deliver outside music/effects and inside background music. Historically I've moved gear around to meet these needs, but I'm thinking that I'd like to have the gear in place permanently. That implies buying a couple more SB devices.

This potential raises some questions. Would I be better off to buy SD Duet and plan on controlling the from the web I/F? Since they are a newer model would the6y be less likely to suffer problems with electrolytic capacitors that SB3/Classics? I presume that they would fit seamlessly into the installation.

Or...would I be better off to abandon Logitech hardware and use a small embedded computer (Fit-PC, of cheap nettop) running a software player like SoftSqueeze?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Michael Graves

jimbobvfr400
2014-11-03, 09:03
What streaming services if any do you use?

Personally I'd suggest something like a Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry or similar. If you use a Cheap PC then either Squeezeplay or Squreezelite are much better software players to use.

mgraves
2014-11-03, 11:18
What streaming services if any do you use?

Personally I'd suggest something like a Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry or similar. If you use a Cheap PC then either Squeezeplay or Squreezelite are much better software players to use.

I use Pandora on occasion, also streams from a couple of local radio stations. Most typically I play our local music from the SqueezeCenter server.

My impression is that RaspberryPi is more of a DIY hardware project. That's something that I wish to avoid.

I'd rather use a net-top like the little Acer Aspire Revo that I'm currently using as a SqueezeCenter Server. I also have a Fit-PC2 on-hand that I could use. However, anything with a hard drive is more maintenance prone. I could use cheap SSDs to make such devices more appliance-like, but that's still something of a compromise.

I still think that another SB3 or two would be most ideal. However, I worry about parts failures with older devices.

wortgefecht
2014-11-03, 11:29
I agree with jimbobvfr400 on the Raspberry Pi. Nevertheless, if you want to avoid DIY, why not buy one or two used last generation high-end Android mobile phones, install the app SqueezePlayer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer), plug the phone to the power line, connect it to a DAC or amp, and hide it somewhere in a drawer or behind a shelf or whatever. The phones now act like a Squeezebox, they show up in your player list, and you can use any remote app on whatever phone/tablet you use.

mgraves
2014-11-03, 15:45
I agree with jimbobvfr400 on the Raspberry Pi. Nevertheless, if you want to avoid DIY, why not buy one or two used last generation high-end Android mobile phones, install the app SqueezePlayer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer), plug the phone to the power line, connect it to a DAC or amp, and hide it somewhere in a drawer or behind a shelf or whatever. The phones now act like a Squeezebox, they show up in your player list, and you can use any remote app on whatever phone/tablet you use.

I'm thinking of something similar, but instead of an Android phone I'd use a nettop or thin client as the hardware platform. I've made a lot of use of HP thin clients in the past. I think that I can even add a decent D/A inside the expansion chassis. They're dirt cheap on Ebay these days.