PDA

View Full Version : radio stream not disconnecting squeeze 3 classic

swet
2014-11-01, 03:55
I have recently retired a buffalo linkstation, running since early 2006, with a zyxel 325v2 running media server 7.1.1.
I have just noticed that when listening to a radio stream when switching off the squeezebox with the remote the stream does not stop. The modem is polling and the network indicators do not stop or change. The only way to disconnect the stream is either to switch the squeezebox back on and select a track from the library OR go into the server web interface and remove the station from the playlist.

does anybody know if this is standard behavior, or how to get around this.

I have a cap on my internet connection and my ISP will charge if over the limit. This behaviour may push me over the limit if I leave the stream connected by mistake.

bpa
2014-11-01, 05:46
This is standard behaviour and is known as "direct streaming". It happens if you are playing a stream which is "native" to the player such as http/MP3 and http/WMA. This will not happen when the streamis transcoded by server such as a http/AAC stream. This behaviour means stream goes direct from station to player so no server involvement and no double hops in local network.

If you enable LMS proxy so the stream goes through the server (i.e. small server load and double LAN network traffic) - try WebUI Settings/ Player/Audio/MP3 Streaming set to "proxied streaming" - AFAIK although it says MP3 - it will also apply proxy to WMA streams.

swet
2014-11-01, 08:37
thanks bpa

I have tried connecting an AAC stream but it doesn't seem to like it(It was radio paradise that alerted me to the problem). I'm now listening to the OGG stream at 192k which sounds very nice but still doesn't disconnect so that must be direct streaming as well.

It seems a bit odd that if it's direct streaming to the squeeze box then you might expect the stream to stop when the squeezebox is switched off....ah well!

I'll just have to remember to switch source to the music library and start playing something before I switch off.

bpa
2014-11-01, 09:43
AAC will not work if your server does not have transcoding enabled and necessary app (i.e. faad). SB3 can play OGG direct but not many stream that use OGG.

It seems a bit odd that if it's direct streaming to the squeeze box then you might expect the stream to stop when the squeezebox is switched off....ah well!

When the squeezebox is switched off the stream does stop with both direct and streams that go thro server - the stream just cannot continue into nowhere but it may take a few minutes server OS will buffer TCP stream. The problem is when playing direct stream and the LMS server is stopped without stopping the stream. An alternative would be to tell SB3 to connect to mysqueezebox.com and make sure the SB3 cannot connect.

swet
2014-11-02, 04:10
When the squeezebox is switched off the stream does stop with both direct and streams that go thro server - the stream just cannot continue into nowhere but it may take a few minutes server OS will buffer TCP stream.

got it, thanks bpa

the significant part was 'a few minutes'. I was too impatient, the stream does indeed stop after a few minutes, which I hadn't realised because I didn't wait long enough...

problem solved!

I'll stick with the OGG stream, it's very good and in addition it gives the artist in the info which the old mp3 didn't do.