PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC and Live365 problems



Slim
2004-12-04, 16:18
I am having trouble accessing Internet Radio using AlienBBC (v0.11) and
Live365. I use a proxy to connect to the Internet, and have the following
two scenarios;

1) Proxy set in Slimserver
No playback from either AlienBBC or Live365. Both of these connect and
present the list of program choices. But I am not able to actually listen
to anything :(

2) No proxy set in Slimserver
AlienBBC playback works but Live365 will not connect, I get a 'Website
error' message.

All the other Internet Radio options seem to work (Shoutcast, Radioio, etc)

I have installed the SlimServer_v2004-12-03 nightly to see if this helps,
but still no joy. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

-- Stuart


Random Thought:
---------------
Yeah. Wait a minute. It's the guy from TV. My kid's
hero...Cruddy...Crummy...Krusty the Clown!

-- Homer Simpson
Krusty Gets Busted

Jim
2004-12-04, 16:55
Slim wrote:
> I am having trouble accessing Internet Radio using AlienBBC (v0.11) and
> Live365. I use a proxy to connect to the Internet, and have the following
> two scenarios;
>
> 1) Proxy set in Slimserver
> No playback from either AlienBBC or Live365. Both of these connect and
> present the list of program choices. But I am not able to actually listen
> to anything :(

If you run the server with --d_plugins, I'd wager you'll see the
message: "Live365.protocolHandler failed to connect to live365.com" and
some additional detail.

It looks like some code gnomes (gotta' love open source) made the common
Live365 site calls aware of the proxy setting, but hadn't noticed that
the protocol handler does its own socket work. It would also fail to get
the playlist for the current station.

I was always a little uncomfortable with the protocol handler doing its
own socket work, but that discomfort was offset by me not wanting to
tweak the API code to manage the kind of data the protocol handler gets.
Live365 doesn't send HTTP headers when one requests a playlist, which is
"wrong" and won't work with the API code, which only returns content.

Doing it right so that it's globally proxy aware will take some
redesign, but I'll work that up and get it to Vidur. Could take a week
or two, I'm a little swamped with the holidays.

Jim

Jim
2004-12-04, 17:54
Jim wrote:
> Slim wrote:
>> I am having trouble accessing Internet Radio using AlienBBC (v0.11) and
>> Live365.

> Doing it right so that it's globally proxy aware will take some
> redesign, but I'll work that up and get it to Vidur. Could take a week
> or two, I'm a little swamped with the holidays.

....or, I could pull a Scotty and have "a week or two" mean "an hour or two."

I just sent the patch to Vidur that should solve your problems. I don't
have a proxy myself, so if you could please keep an eye on the nightlies
and let me know if it starts working once the patch gets checked in.

Cheers,
Jim

Jules Taplin
2004-12-05, 04:12
Jim... you're going to show me up, matey.

I haven't even begun to work out what's not right with AlienBBC in the
same circumstances. My guess is that it's something to do with the
transcoder_proxy :(


-- Jules

Jim wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
>> Slim wrote:
>>
>>> I am having trouble accessing Internet Radio using AlienBBC (v0.11) and
>>> Live365.
>>
>
>> Doing it right so that it's globally proxy aware will take some
>> redesign, but I'll work that up and get it to Vidur. Could take a
>> week or two, I'm a little swamped with the holidays.
>
>
> ...or, I could pull a Scotty and have "a week or two" mean "an hour or
> two."
>
> I just sent the patch to Vidur that should solve your problems. I
> don't have a proxy myself, so if you could please keep an eye on the
> nightlies and let me know if it starts working once the patch gets
> checked in.
>
> Cheers,
> Jim
>
>

Jim
2004-12-05, 10:33
Jules Taplin wrote:
> Jim... you're going to show me up, matey.
>
> I haven't even begun to work out what's not right with AlienBBC in the
> same circumstances. My guess is that it's something to do with the
> transcoder_proxy :(

You've got a considerably more complex plugin than I do. I make some API
calls of an XML web service, the heavy lifting is done by stock
libraries. ;-)

Jim

Slim
2004-12-08, 15:00
> Jim wrote:
>> Slim wrote:
>>> I am having trouble accessing Internet Radio using AlienBBC (v0.11) and
>>> Live365.
>
>> Doing it right so that it's globally proxy aware will take some
>> redesign, but I'll work that up and get it to Vidur. Could take a week
>> or two, I'm a little swamped with the holidays.
>
> ...or, I could pull a Scotty and have "a week or two" mean "an hour or
> two."
>
> I just sent the patch to Vidur that should solve your problems. I don't
> have a proxy myself, so if you could please keep an eye on the nightlies
> and let me know if it starts working once the patch gets checked in.
>
> Cheers,
> Jim
>
>

Jim
2004-12-08, 17:50
Slim wrote:
>>Jim wrote:
>>
>>>Slim wrote:
>>>
>>>>I am having trouble accessing Internet Radio using AlienBBC (v0.11) and
>>>>Live365.
>>
>>>Doing it right so that it's globally proxy aware will take some
>>>redesign, but I'll work that up and get it to Vidur. Could take a week
>>>or two, I'm a little swamped with the holidays.
>>
>>...or, I could pull a Scotty and have "a week or two" mean "an hour or
>>two."
>>
>>I just sent the patch to Vidur that should solve your problems. I don't
>>have a proxy myself, so if you could please keep an eye on the nightlies
>>and let me know if it starts working once the patch gets checked in.
>>
>>Cheers,
>> Jim
>>
>>

Daniel Cohen
2005-01-02, 00:54
Happy New Year, all.

It's time for another try to solve my AlienBBC problem. I've asked
before but no useful replies. I'm hoping for some generic things to
try that might reveal the issue, rather than specific answers which I
know I won't get.

AlienBBC works fine when SlimServer is run from the command-line. But
it doesn't load properly when SlimServer is run normally.

So Qurstion 1 is: why should there be any difference at all in the
two procedures?

I've tried turning on the plugins debugging option, but that doesn't
help. With command-line use it tells me (as it should) all the
details of the plugin loafing ok, with normal use it just says that
the plugin was not recognised.

So Question 2 is: whether there's any other useful debugging option
that I should switch on?

The specific problem with normal use of the SlimServer is that the
Web interface reveals a plugin called Alien. The Squeezebox menu
shows an entry that is completely blank.

"Alien" is the name of the folder containing all the AlienBBC stuff,
and this folder is inside the Plugins folder. There seems to be
nothing else in the actual plugin text that could give that word.

This suggests to me that there is a path issue somewhere, presumably
with the plugin.pm script. I've compared the script with that for
DateTime (the only other one that has the plugin inside a folder)
which works ok, but couldn't spot any differences that were obvious.

Question 3: can anyone spot such an issue?

All this is running on a Mac. I have set SlimServer to run for one
user only, but someone else has the same problem with it set for all
users. Unfortunately, Jules is unfamiliar with Macs, and I have no
real familiarity with perl, though I can disentangle the meaning of
the script to some extent.

AlienBBC 0.11, SlimServer 5.4.
--
Daniel Cohen

Neil Sleightholm
2005-01-02, 09:27
I think I can help with question 1. When working to get AlienBBC
working on Windows I found something similar and the problem was that
the HTML libraries for perl are not complete when running from the exe.
To fix this copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\HTML" to ".\server\CPAN\auto"
(you need to create the directory 'auto'). Copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\HTML"
to ".\server\CPAN" (the HTML directory already exists and I overwrote 2
older files with the newer ones from my Perl install). I'm not a MAC
expert so this might not apply!

Neil

Daniel Cohen wrote:

> Happy New Year, all.
>
> It's time for another try to solve my AlienBBC problem. I've asked
> before but no useful replies. I'm hoping for some generic things to
> try that might reveal the issue, rather than specific answers which I
> know I won't get.
>
> AlienBBC works fine when SlimServer is run from the command-line. But
> it doesn't load properly when SlimServer is run normally.
>
> So Qurstion 1 is: why should there be any difference at all in the
> two procedures?
>
> I've tried turning on the plugins debugging option, but that doesn't
> help. With command-line use it tells me (as it should) all the
> details of the plugin loafing ok, with normal use it just says that
> the plugin was not recognised.
>
> So Question 2 is: whether there's any other useful debugging option
> that I should switch on?
>
> The specific problem with normal use of the SlimServer is that the
> Web interface reveals a plugin called Alien. The Squeezebox menu
> shows an entry that is completely blank.
>
> "Alien" is the name of the folder containing all the AlienBBC stuff,
> and this folder is inside the Plugins folder. There seems to be
> nothing else in the actual plugin text that could give that word.
>
> This suggests to me that there is a path issue somewhere, presumably
> with the plugin.pm script. I've compared the script with that for
> DateTime (the only other one that has the plugin inside a folder)
> which works ok, but couldn't spot any differences that were obvious.
>
> Question 3: can anyone spot such an issue?
>
> All this is running on a Mac. I have set SlimServer to run for one
> user only, but someone else has the same problem with it set for all
> users. Unfortunately, Jules is unfamiliar with Macs, and I have no
> real familiarity with perl, though I can disentangle the meaning of
> the script to some extent.
>
> AlienBBC 0.11, SlimServer 5.4.

Jules Taplin
2005-01-02, 10:03
Ah. Interesting, Neil. That might also explain why Triode's most recent
AlienBBC-on-windows builds need proper perl, too.

Triode - does that make sense to you, or are we barking up the wrong tree?


-- Jules

Neil Sleightholm wrote:

>I think I can help with question 1. When working to get AlienBBC
>working on Windows I found something similar and the problem was that
>the HTML libraries for perl are not complete when running from the exe.
>To fix this copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\HTML" to ".\server\CPAN\auto"
>(you need to create the directory 'auto'). Copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\HTML"
>to ".\server\CPAN" (the HTML directory already exists and I overwrote 2
>older files with the newer ones from my Perl install). I'm not a MAC
>expert so this might not apply!
>
>Neil
>
>Daniel Cohen wrote:
>
>
>
>>Happy New Year, all.
>>
>>It's time for another try to solve my AlienBBC problem. I've asked
>>before but no useful replies. I'm hoping for some generic things to
>>try that might reveal the issue, rather than specific answers which I
>>know I won't get.
>>
>>AlienBBC works fine when SlimServer is run from the command-line. But
>>it doesn't load properly when SlimServer is run normally.
>>
>>So Qurstion 1 is: why should there be any difference at all in the
>>two procedures?
>>
>>I've tried turning on the plugins debugging option, but that doesn't
>>help. With command-line use it tells me (as it should) all the
>>details of the plugin loafing ok, with normal use it just says that
>>the plugin was not recognised.
>>
>>So Question 2 is: whether there's any other useful debugging option
>>that I should switch on?
>>
>>The specific problem with normal use of the SlimServer is that the
>>Web interface reveals a plugin called Alien. The Squeezebox menu
>>shows an entry that is completely blank.
>>
>>"Alien" is the name of the folder containing all the AlienBBC stuff,
>>and this folder is inside the Plugins folder. There seems to be
>>nothing else in the actual plugin text that could give that word.
>>
>>This suggests to me that there is a path issue somewhere, presumably
>>with the plugin.pm script. I've compared the script with that for
>>DateTime (the only other one that has the plugin inside a folder)
>>which works ok, but couldn't spot any differences that were obvious.
>>
>>Question 3: can anyone spot such an issue?
>>
>>All this is running on a Mac. I have set SlimServer to run for one
>>user only, but someone else has the same problem with it set for all
>>users. Unfortunately, Jules is unfamiliar with Macs, and I have no
>>real familiarity with perl, though I can disentangle the meaning of
>>the script to some extent.
>>
>>AlienBBC 0.11, SlimServer 5.4.
>>
>>
>
>

Neil Sleightholm
2005-01-02, 11:20
Jules

In the Entities.pm supplied with the SlimServer there is this comment:
"# XXX - SlimServer mod, until HTML::Parser is included for all the
platforms."
(which I found after I got it working!).

Neil

Jules Taplin wrote:

> Ah. Interesting, Neil. That might also explain why Triode's most
> recent AlienBBC-on-windows builds need proper perl, too.
>
> Triode - does that make sense to you, or are we barking up the wrong
> tree?
>
>
> -- Jules
>
> Neil Sleightholm wrote:
>
> > I think I can help with question 1. When working to get AlienBBC
> > working on Windows I found something similar and the problem was
> > that the HTML libraries for perl are not complete when running from
> > the exe. To fix this copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\HTML" to
> > ".\server\CPAN\auto" (you need to create the directory 'auto').
> > Copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\HTML" to ".\server\CPAN" (the HTML directory
> > already exists and I overwrote 2 older files with the newer ones
> > from my Perl install). I'm not a MAC expert so this might not apply!
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > Daniel Cohen wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > > Happy New Year, all.
> > >
> > > It's time for another try to solve my AlienBBC problem. I've asked
> > > before but no useful replies. I'm hoping for some generic things
> > > to try that might reveal the issue, rather than specific answers
> > > which I know I won't get.
> > >
> > > AlienBBC works fine when SlimServer is run from the command-line.
> > > But it doesn't load properly when SlimServer is run normally.
> > >
> > > So Qurstion 1 is: why should there be any difference at all in the
> > > two procedures?
> > >
> > > I've tried turning on the plugins debugging option, but that
> > > doesn't help. With command-line use it tells me (as it should)
> > > all the details of the plugin loafing ok, with normal use it just
> > > says that the plugin was not recognised.
> > >
> > > So Question 2 is: whether there's any other useful debugging
> > > option that I should switch on?
> > >
> > > The specific problem with normal use of the SlimServer is that the
> > > Web interface reveals a plugin called Alien. The Squeezebox menu
> > > shows an entry that is completely blank.
> > >
> > > "Alien" is the name of the folder containing all the AlienBBC
> > > stuff, and this folder is inside the Plugins folder. There seems
> > > to be nothing else in the actual plugin text that could give that
> > > word.
> > >
> > > This suggests to me that there is a path issue somewhere,
> > > presumably with the plugin.pm script. I've compared the script
> > > with that for DateTime (the only other one that has the plugin
> > > inside a folder) which works ok, but couldn't spot any
> > > differences that were obvious.
> > >
> > > Question 3: can anyone spot such an issue?
> > >
> > > All this is running on a Mac. I have set SlimServer to run for one
> > > user only, but someone else has the same problem with it set for
> > > all users. Unfortunately, Jules is unfamiliar with Macs, and I
> > > have no real familiarity with perl, though I can disentangle the
> > > meaning of the script to some extent.
> > >
> > > AlienBBC 0.11, SlimServer 5.4.
> >>
> > >
> >
> >

Daniel Cohen
2005-01-02, 15:05
On 2/1/05 at 4:27 pm +0000, Neil Sleightholm wrote
>I think I can help with question 1. When working to get AlienBBC
>working on Windows I found something similar and the problem was that
>the HTML libraries for perl are not complete when running from the exe.
>To fix this copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\HTML" to ".\server\CPAN\auto"
>(you need to create the directory 'auto'). Copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\HTML"
>to ".\server\CPAN" (the HTML directory already exists and I overwrote 2
>older files with the newer ones from my Perl install). I'm not a MAC
>expert so this might not apply!
>
>Neil



Many thanks. That seems to have solved it!!


For the record, on my installation (others may differ slightly), the
relevant 'auto' and 'html' folders are in
/sw/lib/perl5/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level

>
>Daniel Cohen wrote:
>
>> Happy New Year, all.
>>
>> It's time for another try to solve my AlienBBC problem. I've asked
>> before but no useful replies. I'm hoping for some generic things to
>> try that might reveal the issue, rather than specific answers which I
>> know I won't get.
>>
>> AlienBBC works fine when SlimServer is run from the command-line. But
>> it doesn't load properly when SlimServer is run normally.
>>
> > So Question 1 is: why should there be any difference at all in the
> > two procedures?

--
Daniel Cohen

Jules Taplin
2005-01-02, 15:46
Aha. Mystery solved.

Right. So... we need to get HTML::Parser into the core distributions
properly. There must have been a reason why this wasn't the case before,
I suspect. With luck, it doesn't apply any more.


-- Jules


Daniel Cohen wrote:

>
> On 2/1/05 at 4:27 pm +0000, Neil Sleightholm wrote
>
>> I think I can help with question 1. When working to get AlienBBC
>> working on Windows I found something similar and the problem was that
>> the HTML libraries for perl are not complete when running from the exe.
>> To fix this copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\HTML" to ".\server\CPAN\auto"
>> (you need to create the directory 'auto'). Copy "C:\Perl\site\lib\HTML"
>> to ".\server\CPAN" (the HTML directory already exists and I overwrote 2
>> older files with the newer ones from my Perl install). I'm not a MAC
>> expert so this might not apply!
>>
>> Neil
>
>
>
>
> Many thanks. That seems to have solved it!!
>
>
> For the record, on my installation (others may differ slightly), the
> relevant 'auto' and 'html' folders are in
> /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
>
>>
>> Daniel Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Happy New Year, all.
>>>
>>> It's time for another try to solve my AlienBBC problem. I've asked
>>> before but no useful replies. I'm hoping for some generic things to
>>> try that might reveal the issue, rather than specific answers which I
>>> know I won't get.
>>>
>>> AlienBBC works fine when SlimServer is run from the command-line. But
>>> it doesn't load properly when SlimServer is run normally.
>>>
>> > So Question 1 is: why should there be any difference at all in the
>> > two procedures?
>
>

Daniel Cohen
2005-01-08, 11:59
What's the best way to get to an item on (for instance) Radio 4 A-Z
in AlienBBC?

It comes up with a list of nearly 200 items. I couldn't see how to
use the number keys to enter a number like 137.

I suppose the same issue could occur in other situations.

Jules, this is one reason why on occasions I prefer the Web interface
for navigating AlienBBC rather than the Squeezebox itself, and so why
I think AlienBBC's Web interface needs an item to navigate back to
the SlimServer Home and not just to Alien BBC home.
--
Daniel Cohen

Jules Taplin
2005-01-08, 17:19
Hi Daniel.

Hey... just because I don't use it, don't take that to mean I don't
think it should be fixed ;)

Erm. Right. This is less than ideal, currently. Really, I reckon it
should work like the Browse Music menus, and jump to first-letters, when
you press them.

But... what we've got instead is a slightly modified version of the same
logic that the Shoutcast browser uses - If you want to get to item
'137', then you enter '137' on the keypad. When you press '1', it goes
to item '1'. Press '3' and you'll go to item 13. Press '7' and you'll
get 137. Enter a number higher than the number of streams, and you get
another chance.

I just tested it... and it looks to be working just fine.


-- Jules


Daniel Cohen wrote:

> What's the best way to get to an item on (for instance) Radio 4 A-Z in
> AlienBBC?
>
> It comes up with a list of nearly 200 items. I couldn't see how to use
> the number keys to enter a number like 137.
>
> I suppose the same issue could occur in other situations.
>
> Jules, this is one reason why on occasions I prefer the Web interface
> for navigating AlienBBC rather than the Squeezebox itself, and so why
> I think AlienBBC's Web interface needs an item to navigate back to the
> SlimServer Home and not just to Alien BBC home.

Daniel Cohen
2005-01-09, 02:15
On 9/1/05 at 12:19 am +0000, Jules Taplin wrote
>But... what we've got instead is a slightly modified version of the
>same logic that the Shoutcast browser uses - If you want to get to
>item '137', then you enter '137' on the keypad. When you press '1',
>it goes to item '1'. Press '3' and you'll go to item 13. Press '7'
>and you'll get 137. Enter a number higher than the number of
>streams, and you get another chance.
>
>I just tested it... and it looks to be working just fine.

You're right, of course. Why I didn't see that when I tried it at
first is a mystery

One of my remotes has a button that one presses to indicate a
multi-digit choice is going to be made, and I think I was expecting
something of the sort.

By the way, there are some oddities in the AlienBBC listings. I
assume that these come from the design of the original BBC Web pages,
and that dealing with them would be a major effort and not worth the
time. But no harm in mentioning them.

I'm looking at Listen Again, Folk and Country. I can see both

Bob Harris Country

and

Bob Harris Country :


I can also see items that just say

Tues
Wed
--
Daniel Cohen

Jules Taplin
2005-01-09, 05:33
Hi Daniel.

Without spending too much time looking at this - yes... it'll be to do
with the BBC page layout. Anybody would think it wasn't designed with
page scraping in mind ;)

The 'Tue' and 'Wed' items are things that have become divorced from
their context - they would have been listed under another item, and
refer to other days worth of programming. Sadly - it's not obvious by
the time I've scraped the page which item they belong to :(


-- Jules

Daniel Cohen wrote:

> On 9/1/05 at 12:19 am +0000, Jules Taplin wrote
>
>> But... what we've got instead is a slightly modified version of the
>> same logic that the Shoutcast browser uses - If you want to get to
>> item '137', then you enter '137' on the keypad. When you press '1',
>> it goes to item '1'. Press '3' and you'll go to item 13. Press '7'
>> and you'll get 137. Enter a number higher than the number of streams,
>> and you get another chance.
>>
>> I just tested it... and it looks to be working just fine.
>
>
> You're right, of course. Why I didn't see that when I tried it at
> first is a mystery
>
> One of my remotes has a button that one presses to indicate a
> multi-digit choice is going to be made, and I think I was expecting
> something of the sort.
>
> By the way, there are some oddities in the AlienBBC listings. I assume
> that these come from the design of the original BBC Web pages, and
> that dealing with them would be a major effort and not worth the time.
> But no harm in mentioning them.
>
> I'm looking at Listen Again, Folk and Country. I can see both
>
> Bob Harris Country
>
> and
>
> Bob Harris Country :
>
>
> I can also see items that just say
>
> Tues
> Wed

Daniel Cohen
2005-01-09, 07:19
On 9/1/05 at 12:33 pm +0000, Jules Taplin wrote
>Without spending too much time looking at this - yes... it'll be to
>do with the BBC page layout. Anybody would think it wasn't designed
>with page scraping in mind ;)
>
>The 'Tue' and 'Wed' items are things that have become divorced from
>their context - they would have been listed under another item, and
>refer to other days worth of programming. Sadly - it's not obvious
>by the time I've scraped the page which item they belong to :(

That's about what I expected!
--
Daniel Cohen