PDA

View Full Version : Adding Duet to New Logitech Home Hub

BlueWombat
2014-10-21, 19:04
I bought the new Logitech Home Hub (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-home-hub?crid=60) (IR/BT/Wifi remote control via smartphone), but (of course), I can't seem to find any way to link my formerly Logitech Duet. This is a bit ironic since it supposedly can connect to the Sonos. Anybody have any experience connecting the Duet or any ideas to resolve this?

Mnyb
2014-10-21, 22:29
I bought the new Logitech Home Hub (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-home-hub?crid=60) (IR/BT/Wifi remote control via smartphone), but (of course), I can't seem to find any way to link my formerly Logitech Duet. This is a bit ironic since it supposedly can connect to the Sonos. Anybody have any experience connecting the Duet or any ideas to resolve this?

Well the receiver part of duet has no infra red so a remote controll emulator would not give you anything here .

Mnyb
2014-10-21, 22:33
But you can have several apps to controll the receiver on the same smartphone

BlueWombat
2014-10-22, 13:26
Well the receiver part of duet has no infra red so a remote control emulator would not give you anything here .
Well, if you look at the details of the Home Hub (and read my note), you'll see it can connect with systems using infra red AND Wi-Fi, so the lack on IR in the receiver should NOT be a problem. To quote Logitech's site: "Home Hub sends commands from the mobile app to your devices using IR, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® wireless signals."

The system will even scan your wi-fi network, but it doesn't seem to find the the Duet - I assume because it isn't included in their IR-focused database - maybe they'll update it, but it's a shame they don't even cover one of their own former products. I was hoping someone had an idea how to manually add a wi-fi item just to turn it on along with the receiver, then use iPeng for the rest.

d6jg
2014-10-22, 15:06
There is a searchable knowledge base on the Logitech Home Hub web site that reports "Harmony is unable to control this device." when you search against Logitech Duet. Why aren't we surprised?

Mnyb
2014-10-22, 19:48
Different kind of products different departements I use a similar product called iRule with iTach modules ( you don't just have one kind of base unit you can have as many as you like ) , there there some work against building natively squeezeserver controll by some entusiast ( doubt that it get far beyond basic control ) it can do network controls to ( never tried ). It can BTW send squeezebox ir codes so i can make My Touch skip tracks play and pause etc . Then I use iPeng for finer controll of my 4 squeezeboxes . IRule have serial control modules so I use the rs232 connector on my Ht processor and by that I'm able to control my complete meridian HT.

Controlling a squeezebox is not just a device , what you really do with any controll in the squeezebox universe is talking to LMS server who in turn controll all the players and this goes far beyond pause and play etc . What you can do on the controller for example save and rearange create and edit playlists controll some server settings view artwork etc use online apps from internet and this on multiple players and also change which player to control. it's much more than sending some remote codes to a device even if they are trough wifi Or Bluetooth .

What they probably mean by wifi are network codes , some devices accept commands trough your home network the device is connected to the network and it can take some simple commands aimed at its IP adress , but it's practically the same as ir that's the kind of codes you can send , it's still remote controll emulation .

Recreating a squeezebox UI on a harmony remote would take some work. Don't underestimate your humble duet controller it is actually a complete Linux mini computer running SqueezePlay talking to your server and the internet ( mysqueezebox.com ).

So,I guess making this kind of work towards a niche product don't make sense to the harmony developers their app would probably get very complex fast with just as much code for the LMS server as just about the rest of the thing ? All to make <<0,5% of thier custommers happy ?

Some home automation systems do some simple squeezebox control but that's more money and probably some additional devices to do it .

So I would actually not expect this ( or any other programable remote ) to work beyond sending actuall squeezebox ir commands to squeezeboxes that have ir , ( FYI the squeezebox actually relays those ir codes to the server , who in turn control the player .. )

It so happens that the same company that makes harmony remotes also made squeezeboxes 3 years ago , I would not expect much from that .

Or are we expecting logitech to integrate thier products in a way that Apple does it ? ( that would be the day )

Was not harmony a separate company bought by logitech ? Same as UE and Slimdevices ( squeezebox ) .
I think they actually managed to blow all 3 companies if you ask thier custommer base .

Good luck with the remote I was looking at this and similar products before settling with iRule/iTach the deciding factor was that the iRule system has more base units IR Ethernet serial wifi and relays .

jfo
2014-10-22, 20:50
[QUOTE=Mnyb;793942
Was not harmony a separate company bought by logitech ? Same as UE and Slimdevices ( squeezebox ) .
I think they actually managed to blow all 3 companies if you ask thier custommer base .

Good luck with the remote I was looking at this and similar products before settling with iRule/iTach the deciding factor was that the iRule system has more base units IR Ethernet serial wifi and relays .[/QUOTE]

Harmony was a Canadian company acquired by Logitech in 2004. I bought my first Harmony remote prior to the acquisition and was very impressed with the hands on tech support. They would make changes to my profile to deal with a new or problem piece of hardware while I was on the phone with them, upload it to my remote and stay on the line while I checked it!
That all changed of course after the acquisition. Sound familiar?

pippin
2014-10-23, 04:49
What they probably mean by wifi are network codes , some devices accept commands trough your home network the device is connected to the network and it can take some simple commands aimed at its IP adress , but it's practically the same as ir that's the kind of codes you can send , it's still remote controll emulation .

They do have support for Sonos and UPnP renderers so it's probably more than just a few "IR codes", for UPnP you need to use a pretty complicated discovery and SOAP protocol so they clearly have these capabilities.
The problem will rather be how you unify UIs. Beyond simple buttons that rarely ever makes sense because the use cases are so different.

What would make more sense, IMHO, is something like you can do with iRule which is to provide basic control and then be able to remotely call another App. After all, both iPeng and SqueezePad support that :)

Mnyb
2014-10-23, 06:19
They do have support for Sonos and UPnP renderers so it's probably more than just a few "IR codes", for UPnP you need to use a pretty complicated discovery and SOAP protocol so they clearly have these capabilities.
The problem will rather be how you unify UIs. Beyond simple buttons that rarely ever makes sense because the use cases are so different.

What would make more sense, IMHO, is something like you can do with iRule which is to provide basic control and then be able to remotely call another App. After all, both iPeng and SqueezePad support that :)

OK then I have to fire up iRule builder and do that , but its not to hard to just swipe to another app :) and actually once you set the listening volume on the hifi you never need any other controll so its ipeng anyway adn the other zones are squeezebox only for me so volume via iPeng