PDA

View Full Version : Squeezeplay in Ubuntu shows content metadata and play time, but produces no sound.

cantankerousoldyankee
2014-10-19, 16:25
I see what's playing (genre, artist, title etc. on local, internet radio, etc) but I hear nothing. Not sure if this is related but I also see

net.thread - NetworkThread.lua:146 network thread timeout

warnings galore. I also keep seeing references to also.conf files and commenting something out, but nothing specific.

cantankerousoldyankee
2014-10-21, 19:04
Could really use some help here. I've tried several versions of Ubuntu all the way back to 10.04. None produce audio even though I see the time elapsing, the track info, etc. Everything but actual sound. The sound system on Ubuntu itself is not the issue as I can play music on several other apps.

SlimChances
2014-10-21, 20:03
I was able to install and use Squeezeplay on Ubuntu 14.04 through WINE and installing the exe version of Squeezeplay... not elegant but works

Julf
2014-10-22, 03:31
Sounds like an ALSA-pulseaudio routing issue, but is there any reason for not usin squeezelite?

ralphy
2014-10-22, 04:21
Could really use some help here. I've tried several versions of Ubuntu all the way back to 10.04. None produce audio even though I see the time elapsing, the track info, etc. Everything but actual sound. The sound system on Ubuntu itself is not the issue as I can play music on several other apps.
I suspect it's a permissions problem.

Make sure squeezeplay is not running and try changing the permissions on the jive_alsa binary as a test.

From a terminal windows type these two commands. The path to jive_alsa could be different.

sudo chown root:root /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive_alsa
sudo chmod u+s /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive_alsa

See if you get audio now, if not, quit squeezeplay again and rename or delete

${HOME}/.squeezeplay

You'll need to reconfigure squeezeplay before testing the audio again.