PDA

View Full Version : OT: looking for iPhone music player with some LMS-like features

aubuti
2014-10-13, 06:52
Over the summer I got an iPhone 5s and am constantly appalled by how limited the stock music player is. I've looked at a couple alternatives and still haven't found the perfect solution. I have a 3rd generation iPod Touch that is still back on iOS 5 or something and the interface on its music player is better than the one in iOS 8.

There are two very simple things that LMS does that I would like to see in an iOS player. Does anyone know of apps that can:

1) easily add tracks or albums to the current playlist on the fly (as opposed to the Apple standard of make a playlist then play it)

2) sort collection by artist/album (or albumartist/album) and easily allow playing a single album or track (the stock player wants to continue playing all albums by the artist)

Bonus points if the player also has a good car mode, with good use of icons and/or gestures. Thanks!

pippin
2014-10-13, 07:12
And all of this for an ARM6 device for which Apple made it really, really hard to submit Apps to the store since two years ago and it's now almost impossible (unless you like to submit untested Apps).

You are looking for an App that is at least three years old, probably four years. I would not be too optimistic.

aubuti
2014-10-13, 08:42
But I don't want the old app. I want a new app, that works in iOS 8, with a couple different features from the stock app.

I understand that all the momentum is toward streaming apps, social media integration, smart playlists, etc. But I keep thinking someone out there must appreciate the desire for those two simple features I mentioned. For the first, think of a jukebox. For the second, think of shelves of CDs or vinyl arranged by artist/year or artist/album and choosing one disc from that shelf. I know that's a dinosaur paradigm now, but we dinosaurs aren't extinct yet.

pippin
2014-10-13, 08:52
Ah. Ok.

Yea, I think most users are happy with the stock App and the people store less and less music on the device (heck, on a 16 GB device you probably can't update to iOS 8 with any music stored) so developers don't look to interested...
I'll have to finally do that download mode for iPeng...

tfec
2014-10-13, 10:13
This one? http://cartunesapp.com/

musictappy
2014-10-13, 12:01
I feel your pain! I have started using an app called Picky. I don't remember if it is free or not, but it is on the app store. My understanding is that the developer created this app when people started complaining about the changes Apple made to the music app in IOS7. Picky is pretty similar to the old Apple music app - you can choose just one album to play, and when you select an artist you see just a list of albums, not the complete song list on each album. Using a function called a Picklist, you can easily add songs or an entire album to play once the current album has finished. The app is not perfect, but it is much better than the stock Apple music app. Picky is also actively being developed and the developer is very receptive to suggestions for future versions.

Pat

aubuti
2014-10-13, 20:37
Thanks for the pointer to Picky. It ticks both of the two boxes I set out. It only lacks the car feature I listed as a bonus, but Cartunes and several others can cover that.

The Picky app is $1.99 and seems worth it. Thanks.

Mnyb
2014-10-13, 21:08
Great topic ! Does anyone of those players override the original music player in iOS7 especially in a car .

I suffer the ( insufferable ) well known iOS7 bug that makes the music player automagically start playing music if my car media player is on , no and the music player does not even have to be on..... And it can start doing this in the middle of phone conversations to... And it always picks the first album/playlist in the cue

Well I try in the weekend , if any of these are good I simply erase all music in the normal player and the above problem would be gone :)

Never understood the apple paradigm of making playlist of everything I to just want to pick an album

garym
2014-10-14, 04:14
I suffer the ( insufferable ) well known iOS7 bug that makes the music player automagically start playing music if my car media player is on , no and the music player does not even have to be on..... And it can start doing this in the middle of phone conversations to... And it always picks the first album/playlist in the cue

Aha! I was wondering why simply tapping the bluetooth source button in my new car would start playing the same song off my iphone. That's definitely a bug. I'll have to test that with my phone now that it has i0S8.