Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff_G
    • Oct 2014

What else is out there?

As much as I like the SB3, I will need to replace it because it will not play 96/24 files.
    However, I’m having a real problem finding a network player that would have such a good interface as the Squeezebox has on my android. I do not use the remote or my laptop, only my android phone.

Artwork, I need artwork for albums otherwise I will never find the albums I’m looking for.
    The fact that the albums are in release order is also a plus, I can easily choose whether I want earlier or later albums without thinking about it.

The SB3 also supports .cue flac files which I need from my future network player.

Radio, I listen to internet radio a lot and the SB is great. In most cases there is an icon next to the station name, which is great because I do not need to read the station names.
    When the radio is playing, in a lot of cases, I will see the artwork for the album, artist name and album name, hence no need to use Shazam to find out the artist.

The big display is great because I can read across the room what is currently playing, but I do realize that this is something I will not have with a network player, a great android app would be good enough.

I am certain that there is no way that I will get a network player for £200 which the SB3 cost me years ago so I am looking for a player up to £1000 but failing to find a good one.
    I had the Stream Magic 6 for testing and I didn’t like it. The app may be good for someone who never used a network player before or never had a good app like the SB. And it didn’t play .cue flac files.

Any suggestions?
  • jeremy
    • Dec 2005

Stay with LMS and get either a Squeezebox Touch (some new still to be found and plenty second hand) or a s/h Transporter

Either will leave you with plenty of change from a £1000 budget

Third option but without integral display - build a player Raspberry Pi for c£120 and spend the rest on a tablet to use as controller & display
    RaspberryPi4 server running Raspbian & LMS 8.3, USB hard drive
    Lounge - Pi4 running piCoreplayer 8 connected via USB to Naim DAC-V1, Linn LP12/Ekos/Troika, Naim NAC102, Linn Tunebox crossover, 4 x Naim NAP250 power amps with Avondale Audio 2018 mods, Linn Keltik active isobarik speakers. Cotrolled by 2 Jogglers or phone
    Office - Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio x2
    Sunroom - Squeezebox Boom
    Bedroom - Squeezebox Radio x2 plus another in en-suite
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Radio

Comment

• garym
      • May 2008

agree. best bet it to acquire a used SB TOUCH. 24/96 is standard (and with the EDO plugin can even handle 24/192) and works with the LMS system you already have. Squeezeboxes and what is now called LMS were way ahead of their time. I follow this issue and I haven't seen a commercial replacement for squeezeboxes available AT ANY PRICE.
      Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
      Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
      Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
      The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
      Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
      Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Jeff_G
        • Oct 2014

I've looked at the prices in the UK, a new one £500+, second hand, not sure, there are some on eBay and they all close on Sunday.
        I just came across Simple Audio:

Although I'm not sure whether they have an app for android, I'll have to have a look into it and read some reviews when I get home.

Comment

• RonM
          • Apr 2008

There's a new never-used original Transporter (with the knob) on ebay right now at http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Logitech...item54112a6ff0.

US$1200, strikes me as a better deal than the $700 Touches out there.

Ships worldwide.

R.
          LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
          Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
          Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
          Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
          Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
          Radio (WiFi) - home office
          Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
          Touch x 1 - spare
          UE Radio x 1 - spare
          Boom x 1 - spare
          Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• RonM
            • Apr 2008

Also a Transporter SE (without the knob) for $999.99, also will ship internationally.

LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
            Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
            Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
            Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
            Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
            Radio (WiFi) - home office
            Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
            Touch x 1 - spare
            UE Radio x 1 - spare
            Boom x 1 - spare
            Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• jeremy
              • Dec 2005

+1 for Transporter. Been very happy with mine. Knob unimportant in my view, mine has one but don't use it much and could happily do without.
              Lounge - Pi4 running piCoreplayer 8 connected via USB to Naim DAC-V1, Linn LP12/Ekos/Troika, Naim NAC102, Linn Tunebox crossover, 4 x Naim NAP250 power amps with Avondale Audio 2018 mods, Linn Keltik active isobarik speakers. Cotrolled by 2 Jogglers or phone
              Office - Squeezebox Boom

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

Originally posted by jeremy
                +1 for Transporter. Been very happy with mine. Knob unimportant in my view, mine has one but don't use it much and could happily do without.
                Love my transporter. It has a knob, but I've probably used the knob 3 times in 6 years. Maybe not even that much.
                Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Jeff_G
                  • Oct 2014

I think I might just go for the Transporter!
                  Although I do have a few questions before I go for it.

1. I will only use my phone, so I'm guessing the one without the knob will do just fine. Same unit, same internals etc.?
                  2. Does it sound much better than the SB3?
                  3. What is the highest resolution it will play? 192/24?
                  4. I'm using Synology DiskStation because that has LMS and I do not have to have my computer switched on. I'm guessing LMS is the same for all SlimDevices/Logitech units and it should work straight out of the box?
                  5. If I remember correctly, I had to register and enter my email and password when I was setting the SB3 up. Is there anything like this? Because the email no longer exists and I don't remember the password either.

Comment

• jeremy
                    • Dec 2005

1 yes
                    2 very yes
                    3 24/96
                    4 yes
                    5 you can register new email
                    Office - Squeezebox Boom

Comment

• garym
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by Jeff_G
                      I think I might just go for the Transporter!
                      Although I do have a few questions before I go for it.

1. I will only use my phone, so I'm guessing the one without the knob will do just fine. Same unit, same internals etc.?
                      2. Does it sound much better than the SB3?
                      3. What is the highest resolution it will play? 192/24?
                      4. I'm using Synology DiskStation because that has LMS and I do not have to have my computer switched on. I'm guessing LMS is the same for all SlimDevices/Logitech units and it should work straight out of the box?
                      5. If I remember correctly, I had to register and enter my email and password when I was setting the SB3 up. Is there anything like this? Because the email no longer exists and I don't remember the password either.
                      1. yes, same unit, same internals. I control with my iphone, ipad, or laptop computer. I don't ever touch the transporter at all.
                      2. hard to say, it has higher quality internal components, a very good DAC, and has balanced analog outputs in addition to unbalanced analog outs. Whether it sounds better. Not sure, I haven't done a double blind test.
                      3. 24/96 only. And the EDO applet for the TOUCH won't work on the Transporter. So max 24/96.
                      4. Yes, LMS works for any SB players, including transporter
                      5. you can skip the userid/pw if you don't want to be integrated with mysqueezebox.com (you won't be able to use pandora or siriusXM, etc.)

Comment

• Jeff_G
                        • Oct 2014

Shame that it won't play higher than 96Khz. Although, I don't think I have anything that is above 96. The touch would be more future proof.
                        I'm very tempted, but the import charges USD 224 are putting me off.

Comment

• kesey
                          • Mar 2007

Shame that it won't play higher than 96Khz. Although, I don't think I have anything that is above 96. The touch would be more future proof.
                          Why not buy a Wandboard and a decent USB DAC? Not necessarily an expensive one. You'll then be set up to play up to 24 bit/192 kHz using Squeezelite and LMS.
                          Last edited by kesey; 2014-10-06, 23:21.

Comment

• garym
                            • May 2008

I rarely buy Hires tracks, but when I do, I only buy the 24/96. It's overkill to begin with and 24/192 is definitely overkill. It's never about the bitrate on lossless files. It's about the mastering of the recording (and that is something that can be improved-- see loudness wars....!)

Comment

• Jeff_G
                              • Oct 2014

Wanboard? I googled it but as I am not so technically minded it doesn't mean much to me. I need to use my phone to select the music and radios from the Synology DiskStation.

I'm not so fussed about 192/24. I think 98/24 is more than enough. It would be nice to have it if people decide to use it in future but I can live without it.
                              I've found this upgrade: http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/upgra...x-classic-sb3/
                              Again, it doesn't mean much to me. I'll call the guy tomorrow and see if the SB3 would play 96/24

Comment

Working...