PDA

View Full Version : Howto install/Setup Local-Player-plugin under Linux (debian/ubunto etc.)

DJanGo
2014-09-26, 05:15
The Main Reason for this Thread is that the Main Thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97766-Announce-Local-Player-plugin-and-Squeezelite-for-Linux-Windows-OSX) isnt readable for "beginner" questions anymore.

It would be helpful to use this thread for startup/Setup questions on linux based LMS Systems and the "original" thread for further/deeper questions.

What do you need?

* The User that starts LMS must be in the group audio to use audiohardware.

sudo groups squeezeboxserver |grep "audio" || sudo useradd -G audio squeezeboxserver

* Make shure that these librarys are installed:

apt-get install libmad0 libflac8 libvorbisfile3

* Open your Webfrontend and got to Settings:
http://lms:9000/settings/index.html

* Make sure to expand "show third party plugins" in the list.
Activate [x] Local Player and apply changes

* click Save, you will be prompted to reboot.
* Open the Advanced Tab in the Settings and activate under "Software Updates" automatically check for Software updates"

Now everything should be fine if not go to the plugins Site / Localplayer again and set
* debugging to ALL
* activate [X] Log and post the output from the logfile.

PasTim
2014-09-26, 08:47
* The User that starts LMS must be in the group audio to use audiohardware.

sudo groups squeezeboxserver |grep "audio" || sudo useradd -G audio squeezeboxserver

Can I just ask whether this has been proven? I used to recommend it to people, but I'm not 100% sure it is necessary. If it was, wouldn't Triode found this when testing and stated this himself?

DJanGo
2014-09-26, 10:56
Can I just ask whether this has been proven? I used to recommend it to people, but I'm not 100% sure it is necessary. If it was, wouldn't Triode found this when testing and stated this himself?

Its proven and its necessary :D

In some cases linux users will need to add the server user to the audio group to allow squeezeplay access to the audio output device. (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97766-Announce-Local-Player-plugin-and-Squeezelite-for-Linux-Windows-OSX&highlight=audio+group)

Remember:
"Howto install/Setup Local-Player-plugin under Linux (debian/ubunto" (wrong spelled ubuntu)

Debian / Ubuntu is a GNU Linux System that has some specialy like the "you must be in a group audio to access the audio Hardware/drivers"

Thanks (this time no ironic taste) for proven the fact that this Thread is necessary otherwise you have read Triodes #1 in the main Announce Thread.

PasTim
2014-09-26, 12:00
Thanks (this time no ironic taste) for proven the fact that this Thread is necessary otherwise you have read Triodes #1 in the main Announce Thread.
I did read it over a year ago. Strangely enough I don't remember everything I've read. A failing I know. My excuse is age and missing bits of brain, but I will give myself 5 lashes just in case it helps me, and to satisfy the dismaying number of people I know who seem to remember almost everything :)

chancenvergeber
2015-10-08, 13:26
Hi,

I am running Debian Wheezy with openmediavault.
In addition, I installed LMS and I can stream from it without problems.

Now I wanted to install the local player to get the music to the attached DAC, but it does not work.
If I try to add the user to the group audio (sudo groups squeezeboxserver |grep "audio" || sudo useradd -G audio squeezeboxserver), I get the message that the user already exists.

I have to admit that I am not very familiar with Linux.
If somebody could help me to figure out what is wrong I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

chancenvergeber

UPDATE:
I found out that I need GLIBC 2.14 or 2.15, but I only have 2.13
Can I upgrade this without causing problems to openmediavault?