PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Fire TV

d6jg
2014-09-18, 10:30
I am in UK and the Fire TV isn't released yet. Anyone in the USA got one and if so has anyone managed to add SqueezePlayer app to it? The hardware looks impressive so thinking if it is possible it could make a good SB player.

fuzzyT
2014-09-19, 08:03
This raises a very good general question of implementing SB players for
the major set-top boxes: Fire, Roku, AppleTV, etc.

Apesbrain
2014-09-19, 08:41
Amazon doesn't make it easy to install "non-official" apps on the Kindle Fire TV but ADB can be used to sideload XBMC so I figure it's possible to do the same with your favorite SB player app. If you also install the Autorun app you can set your SB player to start upon device boot. The Kindle Fire TV is plenty powerful to support this application but there may be some codec limitations (e.g. 24/48 max on FLAC if that matters to you). See the links below.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fit009c.autorun&hl=en
https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/media-specifications

d6jg
2014-09-19, 11:36
Roku has Mainsqueeze which is OK
Apple TV has no user add channels / apps unless jailbroken but is an excellent player when combined with iPeng
Amazon Fire TV looks the best hardware though

fuzzyT
2014-09-19, 12:11
> Apple TV has no user add channels / apps unless jailbroken but is an
> excellent player when combined with iPeng

Do you mean iPeng, using it's on-device player, then streamed out to
AppleTV over AirPlay?

d6jg
2014-09-19, 13:03
Yes. Exactly

fuzzyT
2014-09-19, 15:46
That does work, although it's a bit convoluted and requires double
streaming over wireless.

I look forward to the opening of an AppStore for AppleTV, and a native
iPeng player for that device.

Keep hope alive.

NFLnut
2014-09-22, 16:28
Roku has Mainsqueeze which is OK
Apple TV has no user add channels / apps unless jailbroken but is an excellent player when combined with iPeng
Amazon Fire TV looks the best hardware though

Has anyone been successful at getting Mainsqueeze to work properly on Roku? I've installed it at least three times only to uninstall it three times.

Apesbrain
2014-09-23, 07:09
Has anyone been successful at getting Mainsqueeze to work properly on Roku?
Like you I also uninstalled it. Its UI was very slow on my older Roku XS and the device only able to play MP3 which is the minority of my library. According to its Forum it may be able to play FLAC on newer Rokus (firmware 5+):
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31915

Someone there asked about a Squeezelite-like headless version which could be useful but the developer has since moved on to other projects.

atrocity
2014-09-23, 07:33
Like you I also uninstalled it. Its UI was very slow on my older Roku XS and the device only able to play MP3 which is the minority of my library.

I experimented with it over the weekend and also found the MP3-only capability pointless.

Even odder, although it connected to my server without any issues at all, it never showed in the web interface or any other controller as a connected player. This makes it impossible to control without having the TV on and makes it impossible to configure for transcoding to MP3.

It's a real shame, too. The Roku is inexpensive and seems to be stable.

bpa
2014-09-23, 07:48
IIRc MainSqueeze emulated an SB1 whic mean only MP3, AIFF and WAV played natively - all other formats were transcoded.

The developer TheEndless posted the following last year on a Roku forum

For what it's worth, MainSqueeze is the severely crippled port (due to both hardware and software limitations) of my original SlimRoku app from the old Roku PhotoBridge HD1000.

I think the Roku platform has "channel" orientated implementation and so prevents the WebUI or remote control facilities getting through.

d6jg
2014-09-23, 14:25
I bought a Roku believing it had an Amazon Prime app which it does in US but not in UK due to Sky / Now TV tie up so I am after a device that has all UK catch up TV channels, Netflix, Amazon prime, xbmc and will if required act as a squeezebox. Android TV boxes look the best bet with Amazon Fire TV the best hardware of the genre but looks a little locked down at this stage. I have got one on advance order.

castalla
2014-09-23, 14:57
It can probably be done - but you'll have a complete mish-mash of apps which will be a pain to navigate! The best on-demand offerings I've found are on Samsung smart devices. The only one missing is Dave Ondemand.

d6jg
2014-09-23, 15:21
Yes. I have got a Samsung Smart TV and it's got everything except XBMC & Squeezebox. Instead I get a DLNA player which presents my libraries as a folder list. XBMC presents a nice library of films with images and genres etc. and on my Samsung Tab the XBMC install allows launching of other apps from within as favourites if you want. So from within xbmc on my tablet I can launch BBC iPlayer official android app for example

d6jg
2014-09-23, 15:23
PS I also have a Pi

castalla
2014-09-23, 15:33
Yes. I have got a Samsung Smart TV and it's got everything except XBMC & Squeezebox. Instead I get a DLNA player which presents my libraries as a folder list. XBMC presents a nice library of films with images and genres etc. and on my Samsung Tab the XBMC install allows launching of other apps from within as favourites if you want. So from within xbmc on my tablet I can launch BBC iPlayer official android app for example

I'm not too keen on listening to audio on a TV - just doesn't feel right!. I've experimented with xbmc with airplay enabled on a Pi and using the cast option in Filmon which which works quite well - but that's live TV. the only missing component is Dave Ondemand

bpa
2014-09-23, 15:40
Yes. I have got a Samsung Smart TV and it's got everything except XBMC & Squeezebox.

I don't have a Smasung SmartTV and I'm not sure if you're a developer or not but the TV Apps seem to be Google Chrome Native Client apps (see http://www.samsungdforum.com/Guide/d17/index.html ).
As a test/learning experience for a Chromebook I built Squeezelite as a Chrome Portable Native Client. This step proves it is possible to build an App - not sure how good it would be running on a possibly low spec ARM processor in the TV so more work is needed. It also probably needs some sort of GUI.

So if you're a developer, I can give you some pointers.