PDA

View Full Version : spotify

ezekieldas
2014-09-07, 22:10
I've received what may be an honest and actual commitment from Spotify that they will be fixing the 'official' app. I'd like to get an idea of how many of you would find this useful and/or would consider a new premium subscription, or reactive a previous premium if this were fixed. I'm also curious if anyone remembers it working: was it reliable, could you do most spotify things with it, did it rely on LMS?

Yes I'm aware of the Triode app and I use it. I'd like to see Spotify back up their official app though.

Backstory: I was really disappointed to find the app didn't work after signing up for premium. I exchanged nearly a dozen emails with support before someone actually listened to the details of the problem. I emphasized the fact that their ads still say this works with Squeezebox (see below), also noted Logitech doesn't support the official spotify app, noted the app ships with the device, finally got someone who would listen and seemed to have a technical role. I took a guess that the core issue is failure with transcoding and it's possible minimal effort would be required to fix it (given the proper resource). So anyway, they said they'd look into it but didn't give a specific timeframe.

Please give a show of hands if you'd like to see this work. Thanks.

https://news.spotify.com/us/2011/01/24/spotify-on-squeezebox-now-available/

adamdea
2014-09-07, 23:54
I would support any move which enhanced the support of features on LMS. The only thing is- I'm slightly puzzled by the implicit assumption of your post that the app doesn't work.
It seems to work for me. I'm running LMS 7.90 on a QNAP NAS. Is it not supposed to work?

Mnyb
2014-09-08, 13:33
The oficial has some bugs but it does work and it works without LMS ?

But it only supports new players like Touch or Radio none of the older players would work .
Due to technical limitations of the old players the necessary software would never fit inside an SB3 or Boom or receiver or transporter .And spotify can't fix that unless they abandon their encryption scheme.

And I don't think logitech will do any kind of fw work for ip3k players anymore , even if spotify did some dramatic changes and this becomes feasible .

adamdea
2014-09-09, 00:43
The oficial has some bugs but it does work and it works without LMS ?

But it only supports new players like Touch or Radio none of the older players would work .
Due to technical limitations of the old players the necessary software would never fit inside an SB3 or Boom or receiver or transporter .And spotify can't fix that unless they abandon their encryption scheme.

And I don't think logitech will do any kind of fw work for ip3k players anymore , even if spotify did some dramatic changes and this becomes feasible .
Yes. It does work without lms. I used to use it a lot that way when I had lms set up on a pc which I did not switch on all the time. It's pretty basic but it does work. it might be helpful for it to work without needing mysqueezebox.com. One use I could see for it would be for people who wanted to use devices running squeezelite (eg a pi) without LMS. As a matter of interest is there any progress in establishing a post mysqueezebox.com source for running without lms?