PDA

View Full Version : OK. It's finally happened. My SB3 can barely play a single song without rebooting.

bongo23
2014-08-28, 07:19
I've been dealing with this for about 6 months, but the last week the problem has become exponentially worse.
The SB3 is streaming wirelessly from a D-Link DIR-655 router.
The SB3 will spontaneously reboot, and not resume play.
The reboot only seems to happen when music is streaming. I haven't seen it reboot when it's idle.
I've opened it up and looked at all the capacitors and can see nothing out of the ordinary.
Nothing appears in the logs. Although, I haven't set everything to DEBUG.
I guess I should try to see if a wired connection experiences the same issue, but that's not really an attractive solution to my setup.

My questions are:
Does anyone have any other fix suggestions?
Has anyone found a comparable replacement player? I really love the SB3. Nothing else out there, that I've seen, comes close to replacing its features and functions.

Mnyb
2014-08-28, 07:23
The usual suspect are the power supply a loose connector to the power supply or the wifi card .

The wifi card can be removed and then you can run it as wired only .

get.amped
2014-08-28, 07:53
If it's the wifi card, sometimes simply reseating it is enough to correct the problem.

bpa
2014-08-28, 08:13
Check for interference from neighbouring wifi networks, mobile hotspots or perhaps new wireless devices such as controllers.

tcutting
2014-08-28, 09:13
It might be worthwhile to try a XILINX reset on the SB3. I haven't done in a while, so I searched to WIKI for the procedure:

"Some system operations that require you to point your remote control on the Squeezebox while starting the Squeezebox. To be sure you're doing it right, pull the power from the unit, press and hold the appropriate button on the remote while keeping it pointed at the unit, and give the unit power again, while all the time keeping the remote button pressed and the remote pointed at the unit. "

ADD - Factory reset
1 - Program Xilinx
2 - Factory test mode
3 - Audio sine test

bongo23
2014-08-28, 10:07
It might be worthwhile to try a XILINX reset on the SB3. I haven't done in a while, so I searched to WIKI for the procedure:

"Some system operations that require you to point your remote control on the Squeezebox while starting the Squeezebox. To be sure you're doing it right, pull the power from the unit, press and hold the appropriate button on the remote while keeping it pointed at the unit, and give the unit power again, while all the time keeping the remote button pressed and the remote pointed at the unit. "

ADD - Factory reset
1 - Program Xilinx
2 - Factory test mode
3 - Audio sine test

I'd tried the factory reset, but not the XILINX Programming. Currently playing track 6 of the playlist without crashing. Fingers crossed.

bongo23
2014-08-28, 10:07
Check for interference from neighbouring wifi networks, mobile hotspots or perhaps new wireless devices such as controllers.

I played around with that before but without any success. The distance is minimal.

bongo23
2014-08-28, 10:15
I played around with that before but without any success. The distance is minimal.

Crap! Song 8 just died.

toby10
2014-08-28, 10:23
Try connecting it to MySB.com (no local server) and play a station, see if it still reboots during play.

bongo23
2014-08-28, 11:55
Try connecting it to MySB.com (no local server) and play a station, see if it still reboots during play.

Fairly interesting. It stopped playing after about 5 minutes, but I didn't have time to get to the unit to see if it was a reboot or rebuffer problem. So I hit play and waited again.

I've had it playing off mysb.com for about one hour now with no reboots. Not sure what this means. Server-related error? But I'd have expected that to show up in the logs, no?

bongo23
2014-08-28, 12:46
Fairly interesting. It stopped playing after about 5 minutes, but I didn't have time to get to the unit to see if it was a reboot or rebuffer problem. So I hit play and waited again.

I've had it playing off mysb.com for about one hour now with no reboots. Not sure what this means. Server-related error? But I'd have expected that to show up in the logs, no?

...and after 2.5 hours it rebooted.

bongo23
2014-08-28, 14:59
This may be all down to broken power connector on the circuit board, which I found to be loose/damaged. Anyone know what the Digikey part number for the board mounted DC socket is?

toby10
2014-08-29, 00:45
Yeah, was a long shot that it could be server related. A quick test connected to MySB.com indicates it is indeed the player.

bongo23
2014-09-13, 08:31
I've replaced the power barrel jack on the circuit board.
I've replaced the ac adapter, from a rather good site that was selling them for $1 +s/h
I've tried a direct ethernet connection.

I can access the menu system, for ages, but as soon as I select a song to play, within 5 to 10 seconds (on average), the unit will freeze and restart.

Any suggestions?

toby10
2014-09-13, 09:34
Remove the WiFi card?

bongo23
2014-09-13, 10:38
Remove the WiFi card?

Unseated WiFi card, and it ran successfully for an hour (I stopped it).

Cleaned contacts with an eraser (old trick), a quick spritz of air all round and re-seated WiFi card. Currently running OK (ethernet connection). Will test with WiFi in about an hour, if nothing happens in between.

bongo23
2014-09-13, 10:49
Nope. Lasted about 12 minutes with the WiFi card reseated.
Will run a longer test with the WiFi card unseated.

bongo23
2014-09-13, 11:03
Nope. Had high hopes on this one, but it restarted after about 15 minutes.

GeeJay
2014-09-13, 11:18
I assume you cleared the cache? I experienced similar behavior about a month ago. After trying a number of other 'fixes', I finally got around to that step and it has been working fine ever since.

bongo23
2014-09-13, 11:38
I assume you cleared the cache? I experienced similar behavior about a month ago. After trying a number of other 'fixes', I finally got around to that step and it has been working fine ever since.

Hadn't tried that. Cleared it through the control panel. Re-scanned. Re-started. Played for about 8 minutes before rebooting.

toby10
2014-09-14, 02:27
I think it's time to call that unit dead and buy another. :(

bongo23
2014-09-14, 09:00
I think it's time to call that unit dead and buy another. :(

I think you might be right. And if Ebay hadn't hiccuped this morning, I would be the proud owner of a replacement.

MrC
2014-09-14, 11:06
I can't tell from the thread - did you tried wired yet? The DIR-xx5 series products were not Dlink's finest products.

What part of the world are you in, and what are you looking to spend for a replacement?

bongo23
2014-09-14, 13:39
I can't tell from the thread - did you tried wired yet? The DIR-xx5 series products were not Dlink's finest products.

What part of the world are you in, and what are you looking to spend for a replacement?

Yes, I tried it wired, both with the WiFi board seated and unseated. I've had very few problems with the DIR-655.
I'm in the North East USA. I guess I'd like to spend about $100 for a used SB3 or the Logitech equivalent. That's what they seem to go for on EBay.