PDA

View Full Version : Alternative To Multiple Genre

ntom
2014-08-03, 06:12
Bit rusty on SB set up now as my system has been running sweetly & smoothly for so long, I haven't had to play with it & I just tag and add new music as and when.

However with the (gradual) increase in hi-res downloads, my issue has started to get a bit irritating at times. Not sure if there is a simple solution.

I listen to minimal classical so most of myslistening is to mainstream / jazz. I use the genre tag effectively for album genre. Close enough for me. However with an increasing number of DD / DTS rips, & HiRes downloads i've added a 2nd genre.

I play a lot of stuff via the random song option. The rub comes with the fact that I have 6 squeezeboxes.... a mix of SB2 (1) / SB3 (3) / Touch (2).

One touch is in my serious system... with seperate DAC & facility to take DTS passthru etc, so all is good. The second touch will handle 24/96, but not DTS or DD. The SB2 / SB3s obviously won't play any DD / DTS or 24/96.

If I could skip these tracks it would be great. However if I use the select genre option & include a track with say a "24/96" genre tag & a "rock" genre tag, then exclude "24/96" from the genre list, it still obviouly plays because the "rock" tag is included... i.e. silence or worse...loud white noise.

Is there any simple way of dealing with this that I am missing....? I have my underlying directory structure set up to reflect these differences so could easily seperate.

Suggestions appreciated.

SlimChances
2014-08-03, 06:42
If I could skip these tracks it would be great. However if I use the select genre option & include a track with say a "24/96" genre tag & a "rock" genre tag, then exclude "24/96" from the genre list, it still obviouly plays because the "rock" tag is included... i.e. silence or worse...loud white noise.

Is there any simple way of dealing with this that I am missing....? I have my underlying directory structure set up to reflect these differences so could easily seperate.

Suggestions appreciated.

I think Erland's Dynamic Playlist might be what you need. It will allow you to customize playlist directories based on tags. Take a look at this thread and see if it would work for youhttp://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?49483-Announce-New-versions-of-erlands-plugins

JJZolx
2014-08-03, 20:54
How about combining the format with the genre, rather than using it for creating a 2nd genre?

Instead of tagging something with

GENRE=Jazz
GENRE=24/96

you could use

GENRE=24/96 Jazz

or

Jazz [24/96]

or similar.