PDA

View Full Version : Johann Sebastian Bach - RIP

garym
2014-07-28, 17:27
Johann Sebastian Bach - RIP. It was today in 1750, but I guess worth remembering!

GeeJay
2014-07-28, 17:29
I was always a bigger fan of PDQ Bach.

garym
2014-07-28, 17:31
I was always a bigger fan of PDQ Bach.

I have a vague recollection that almost 30 years ago my future wife took me to a PDQ Bach concert in Ft. Worth or Dallas. I married her anyhow.

I was a bigger fan of Willie Nelson and Freddie King. She was a bigger fan of Van Cliburn. My first opera was with her and she took me to a really, really long Wagner Ring Cycle....

dasmueller
2014-07-28, 20:01
Classical yes, but I am sorry I must skip the opera. That's just how it is. I need to understand the lyrics I am hearing.

garym
2014-07-29, 03:47
Classical yes, but I am sorry I must skip the opera. That's just how it is. I need to understand the lyrics I am hearing.

which is why we take trips to NYC and there are some evenings she goes to the opera and I go to CityWinery to see Dave Alvin! Then we meet for a late night dinner afterwards, both happy....

tfec
2014-07-29, 08:08
Classical yes, but I am sorry I must skip the opera.
seems, JSB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach) didn't like opera too. He never wrote one. :cool:

RonM
2014-07-29, 08:27
which is why we take trips to NYC and there are some evenings she goes to the opera and I go to CityWinery to see Dave Alvin! Then we meet for a late night dinner afterwards, both happy....

I saw the Alvin brothers recently in Toronto. Outstanding concert. I think they were just at City Winery, supporting their new release, is that the one you were at?

I remember being at an opera in Toronto, and every once in a while the audience would laugh or otherwise respond to lyrics. My wife asked me, filled with puzzlement, why they were laughing. I said to the jokes. She said, how do they know the jokes, the opera is in (Italian, German, whatever, I don't remember). I said the translation was in the surtitles. Surtitles? she said. Where?

She got glasses shortly thereafter.

R.

garym
2014-07-29, 11:27
I saw the Alvin brothers recently in Toronto. Outstanding concert. I think they were just at City Winery, supporting their new release, is that the one you were at?

I remember being at an opera in Toronto, and every once in a while the audience would laugh or otherwise respond to lyrics. My wife asked me, filled with puzzlement, why they were laughing. I said to the jokes. She said, how do they know the jokes, the opera is in (Italian, German, whatever, I don't remember). I said the translation was in the surtitles. Surtitles? she said. Where?

She got glasses shortly thereafter.

R.

Unfortunately missed that show; I would have loved to have seen them together. I may yet get the chance this year if they continue the tour they're doing. I've seen Dave (without his brother) there before and also at the Birchmere outside D.C.

p.s. love the wife/glasses story. Perfect!

JohnB
2014-07-30, 04:44
seems, JSB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach) didn't like opera too. He never wrote one. :cool:

It might well be true that, unlike his exact contemporay Handel, he wasn't attracted to opera but he composed in a deeply Lutheran society where frivolities such as opera were frowned upon, and where the music composed for the church (e.g. Bach's amazing treasure trove of cantatas) in some respects served a dual purpose of "entertainment" and devotional music.