alfiesty
2014-07-21, 17:48
I have a 500Gb disk full of classical music . It is structured as follows

Composer--|work1|part1
| |part2
|
|work2|part1
| |part2
and so forth. I can't see how to access things, none of the options seem to allow that
Jim

aubuti
2014-07-22, 08:02
Browsing "Music Folder" gives you direct access to your directory tree. If you can't see things under "Music Folder" perhaps you have not specified the right folder in the LMS settings, or you don't have the right folder/file permissions on your music files.

The other options (Artist, Album, Genre, Year, etc) depend on the music files being tagged, and then successfully completing the scan of the library that populates the database with the metadata in the tags. What type of files do you have (FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc) and how are they tagged?

alfiesty
2014-07-22, 18:10
Browsing "Music Folder" gives you direct access to your directory tree. If you can't see things under "Music Folder" perhaps you have not specified the right folder in the LMS settings, or you don't have the right folder/file permissions on your music files.

Files were mostly burned in windows WAV, but some mp3.

The other options (Artist, Album, Genre, Year, etc) depend on the music files being tagged, and then successfully completing the scan of the library that populates the database with the metadata in the tags. What type of files do you have (FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc) and how are they tagged?

Some top level directories are shown in strange order with Music Folder, but not all. I can't drop down to subdirectories.

Jim

garym
2014-07-22, 18:44
Some top level directories are shown in strange order with Music Folder, but not all. I can't drop down to subdirectories.

Jim

I don't typically use browse music folder, but in checking this out in my collection across a number of folders, I see the same thing. Folders are in alphabetical order. And if I click on an artist folder, I see all the album subfolders underneath the artist folder. And if I have albums with separate disk folders (disk 1, disk 2, etc.) I can browse to those subfolders too. So something is wrong on your end. But I can't think what it might be, unless there are unusual characters, etc. in your folder names. Please provide more info about your setup. Where is your music located. On the computer running LMS? on a separate NAS? etc. What format (linux, windows, OSX, eetc.)

In my case, I see the same thing browsing music folders whether I look at LMS running on my fedora linux server or on a windows 7(64) machine.

JohnB
2014-07-23, 01:49
If you have your music collection on a NAS or on a Linux box and you can't drop down to subdirectories that sounds like a permissions issue.

JohnB
2014-07-23, 02:21
By the way, if you are new to Squeezebox/LMS, as aubuti has said the system is really designed to use tags (album, artist, title, etc, etc), with the folder browse as a secondary option.

If you haven't already tagged your files (or even if you have) and you are intending to use LMS regularly it is worth giving quite a bit of thought to how you want to tag them - this is especially true with classical music. (My music collection is also mainly classical.) I don't think it is overstating matters to say that the tagging system you chose is critical to getting the most out of LMS.

Assuming you are fairly new to LMS (forgive me if that isn't the case) - various people have their own pet classical tagging systems and now (with LMS 7.9) there are additional browse modes for Composer and Conductor so those tags need to be thrown into the mix. If it would be helpful, I am happy to outline my own classical tagging system and doubtless others would do the same - then you can select the best ideas.

garym
2014-07-23, 04:55
some useful tagging info for classical on squeezeboxes (and other players)

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_To_Classical

JohnB
2014-07-23, 06:31
Thank link (from garym) is a good starting basis. However, I differ in certain aspects.

I mainly tag an album as a work (not a CD) and use the following format:

<composer> - <work> - <main performer(s)>
e.g. Shostakovich - Symphony No 10 - Petrenko, RLPO

This, in the past, has enabled me to search for a composer's name in albums and the results show all the works by that composer in alphabetical order.

I do not put the composer into the Artist tag as this goes against the grain with me. I put the performers in the Artist tag and separate each performer with ";" (e.g. Petrenko;RLPO). The LMS scanner then separates out Petrenko and RLPO as separate artists, which makes it easier to search for, say, Petrenko on his own.

I put the composer in the Composer tag. If I want the composer to come up in artist searches I enable that in Setting/My Music.

For the Title tag the webpage suggestion is good, though I usually just use the movement number and movement name, to cut down on scrolling in iPeng (which I use as a controller on my iPad).

For CDs of very short pieces, e.g. a song collection, I tag the whole CD as an Album (e.g. Barbara Bonney's "Diamonds in the Snow" - a collection of nordic songs).

Composer browsing is now enabled in LMS 7.9, which is very useful indeed. Bear in mind you can set that to browse artists (which gives a list of composers to drill down from), or albums

LMS 7.9 also has Conductor browsing - though that depends on having the Conductor tag populated and I have the conductor in the Artist tag anyway, so ...

(Sorry to have rambled on with a post that is probably not needed anyway!)

matka
2014-07-23, 08:59
Thank link (from garym) is a good starting basis. However, I differ in certain aspects.

I mainly tag an album as a work (not a CD) and use the following format:

<composer> - <work> - <main performer(s)>
e.g. Shostakovich - Symphony No 10 - Petrenko, RLPO

This, in the past, has enabled me to search for a composer's name in albums and the results show all the works by that composer in alphabetical order.

I do not put the composer into the Artist tag as this goes against the grain with me. I put the performers in the Artist tag and separate each performer with ";" (e.g. Petrenko;RLPO). The LMS scanner then separates out Petrenko and RLPO as separate artists, which makes it easier to search for, say, Petrenko on his own.

I put the composer in the Composer tag. If I want the composer to come up in artist searches I enable that in Setting/My Music.

For the Title tag the webpage suggestion is good, though I usually just use the movement number and movement name, to cut down on scrolling in iPeng (which I use as a controller on my iPad).

For CDs of very short pieces, e.g. a song collection, I tag the whole CD as an Album (e.g. Barbara Bonney's "Diamonds in the Snow" - a collection of nordic songs).

Composer browsing is now enabled in LMS 7.9, which is very useful indeed. Bear in mind you can set that to browse artists (which gives a list of composers to drill down from), or albums

LMS 7.9 also has Conductor browsing - though that depends on having the Conductor tag populated and I have the conductor in the Artist tag anyway, so ...

(Sorry to have rambled on with a post that is probably not needed anyway!)
I also browse classical by folders only and it it serves me very well.
If I had issues with browsing, then it was usually down to 2 issues: permissions on Linux or trailing space in the directory name (the last one might have been fixed by now).
Try to eliminate those 2 issues and see if it helps.

alfiesty
2014-07-23, 20:07
I don't typically use browse music folder, but in checking this out in my collection across a number of folders, I see the same thing. Folders are in alphabetical order. And if I click on an artist folder, I see all the album subfolders underneath the artist folder. And if I have albums with separate disk folders (disk 1, disk 2, etc.) I can browse to those subfolders too. So something is wrong on your end. But I can't think what it might be, unless there are unusual characters, etc. in your folder names. Please provide more info about your setup. Where is your music located. On the computer running LMS? on a separate NAS? etc. What format (linux, windows, OSX, eetc.)

In my case, I see the same thing browsing music folders whether I look at LMS running on my fedora linux server or on a windows 7(64) machine.
I don't know what I was doing wrong, but all is working now. I'll follow that tagging url and try that.
Just for info,my setup:
raspberry pi, download of squeezeplug, 500Gb local harddisc mounted /mnt/hd2, formatted ntfs, all files written in windows