PDA

View Full Version : Please request Beats Music support, if you are interested in a Beats plugin

scolley
2014-07-20, 06:55
Hey folks,

Like it or not, Beat Music is here, and only going to get bigger with the Apple aquisition. As an AT&T user and a head of household of music listeners, I'm particulary attracted to their $15/mo. for 5 users offer. You may have other reasons (or not ;) ). But if you DO want access to the service over your LMS device, it stands to reason that they are not going to create a plugin unless they perceive a demand. Releasing an API would be nice too. But them doing the heavy lifting to create the plugin for us is ideal IMO.

So if you are interested in a Beats Music plugin, I would encourage you to send them an email and request one. Their address is feedback@beatsmusic.com. Or you can request it on their website (https://support.beatsmusic.com/hc/en-us). I've already done so, and would like the thank members aubuti and paulster (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100477-Beats-Music-to-replace-MOG-Where-does-that-leave-Squeezebox&p=770199&viewfull=1#post770199) who have already started this process. If there are more of you that have done so, but my forum search for "Beats" missed it, apologies for the omission, and thanks for sending Beats Music an email.

If you DO email Beats, please consider posting that you did so in this thread. That would keep the thread active, thus improving the chances of this message getting out to the community.

Thanks. :)

OldMojo
2014-07-23, 15:51
Been down that road already. A modest campaign was waged to get Beats to do right by their legacy MOG users in this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100974-Beats-Music-Support-Maybe-Possible-VOTE!&highlight=Beats

I'm unaware of anyone getting a reply of any kind beyond the original "sounds cool, maybe eventually" reply that established the suggestion thread on the Beats website.

I think the bottom line is: Beats sells headphones. They're not interested in providing a music service to folks who aren't into headphones. So it's currently Spotify or nothing.

I'd really like to see Amazon step up with a Prime Music app, and I'd consider that possibility to be at least as likely as Beats ever going anywhere. Prime music may be small now, but I'm fairly certain that they'll be a serious contender in short order. All roads point to stream-on-demand, and Amazon will be there with bells on.

garym
2014-07-23, 16:29
done....

scolley
2014-07-28, 06:59
Been down that road already. A modest campaign was waged to get Beats to do right by their legacy MOG users in this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100974-Beats-Music-Support-Maybe-Possible-VOTE!&highlight=Beats

I'm unaware of anyone getting a reply of any kind beyond the original "sounds cool, maybe eventually" reply that established the suggestion thread on the Beats website.

I think the bottom line is: Beats sells headphones. They're not interested in providing a music service to folks who aren't into headphones. So it's currently Spotify or nothing.

I'd really like to see Amazon step up with a Prime Music app, and I'd consider that possibility to be at least as likely as Beats ever going anywhere. Prime music may be small now, but I'm fairly certain that they'll be a serious contender in short order. All roads point to stream-on-demand, and Amazon will be there with bells on.

Thanks for the feedback. I saw that prior campaign. And it was modest. And Beats was a different animal then too. With Apple ownership, it could explode now, and we have the chance to influence that. That said, my hope was to keep this thread simple. Where people that ARE interested, and DON'Tt think it's a waste of time, will send them a note. And post it here (Thanks garym!).

Other related discussion does not help that goal, but it IS beneificial, because such posts will keep this thread high up in the list. :D

Thanks.

JJZolx
2014-07-28, 15:10
What's the status with MOG support and accounts? I saw a while back where Beats extended MOG service for existing account-holders. Is it still going or have they killed it off completely?

pippin
2014-07-28, 15:41
MOG is shut down.

mherger
2014-07-28, 21:59
> MOG is shut down.

Is it? Heh... need to test. They didn't signal the real end to us...

--

Michael

paulster
2014-07-28, 23:14
Yep, it's gone. Had to switch over to Spotify.

Mnyb
2014-07-29, 12:45
You can actually use your headphones with a squeezebox , but who would use beats headphones ?

get.amped
2014-07-29, 12:59
You can actually use your headphones with a squeezebox , but it's a who would use beats headphones ?

Over-indulged tweens sucked into conspicuous consumerism.

Mnyb
2014-07-29, 13:06
Over-indulged tweens sucked into conspicuous consumerism.

So let me get this Beats buy MOG but does not want its userbase and makes changes that alientaes many old MOG users (it's not only the missing SB support ) ?

Why ? i thougth the userbase was the beef in this ?

garym
2014-07-29, 13:22
So let me get this Beats buy MOG but does not want its userbase and makes changes that alientaes many old MOG users (it's not only the missing SB support ) ?

Why ? i thougth the userbase was the beef in this ?

And Apple buying beats is even further about the online streaming aspect (based on what I've read). Does seem odd. Then again, other companies have done acquisitions, been confused by the true value, and screwed things up. I've heard stories of this little ahead of its time network streaming company called slim devices that was acquired by Logitech...:p

aubuti
2014-07-30, 07:12
First, where do you get the idea they don't want MOG's user base? I think they may have migrated MOG users' playlists to Beats although I'm not sure about that. I am sure that they offered the first month of Beats free to MOG users. And Beats is available on Sonos and on the web. SB just didn't make the cut -- they didn't want SB users enough to invest a little bit of effort in transitioning the plugin/API to SB.

Where Beats is departing from the MOG model, which fits in completely with the Apple acquisition (as garym notes), is the emphasis on streaming over wireless phone networks, as opposed to wifi.

It's sometimes tough to figure out what the real purpose of acquisitions are. Buying music rights, obscure intellectual property rights or patents, squashing a potential competitor, positioning the company to be acquired by someone else, or sheer misunderstanding of what they're buying.

garym
2014-07-30, 07:15
It's sometimes tough to figure out what the real purpose of acquisitions are. Buying music rights, obscure intellectual property rights or patents, squashing a potential competitor, positioning the company to be acquired by someone else, or sheer misunderstanding of what they're buying.

Definitely. time warner/AOL acquisition/merger anyone? I could actually create a long list of failed acquisitions. Then again, if we all had perfect foresight, we'd all be rich.

garym
2014-07-30, 07:31
First, where do you get the idea they don't want MOG's user base? I think they may have migrated MOG users' playlists to Beats although I'm not sure about that. I am sure that they offered the first month of Beats free to MOG users. And Beats is available on Sonos and on the web. SB just didn't make the cut -- they didn't want SB users enough to invest a little bit of effort in transitioning the plugin/API to SB.

Where Beats is departing from the MOG model, which fits in completely with the Apple acquisition (as garym notes), is the emphasis on streaming over wireless phone networks, as opposed to wifi.

Although I have nothing but anecdotal evidence, I'm convinced that the entire market of "networked music streaming devices" is a tiny minority of the market and basically ignored. The big players think of streaming music via smart phone, tablets, and computers themselves (and *maybe* an "app" on a smart TV for pandora or spotify). The person like many of us, with dedicated "network music players" (e.g., squeezeboxes) is the exception rather than the rule. The little bit of thought given to us (with apps, plugins, APIs, etc.) is minimal. Even Sonos, which seems to be the remaining big player in network streaming devices, can't seem to get the attention of the big players in a good way. The sonos forums are full of complaints about their Spotify app not having all the bells and whistles, being abandoned, etc. I see the same thing in contacting radio stations that stream. They are focused on a web-embedded player on a webpage but totally clueless about a streamable URL for the rest of us. The best they can say is, "oh, if you're away from your computer we have an smart phone app that will let you stream to your phone."

p.s. somewhat off topic, but thinking of an ignored group: A friend's CD player died. He went to the local Best Buy (which is a large full service Best Buy) to buy a replacement CD player (deck) for his system. They reported that they had NO CD players in the store. One 20 year old sales person actually said, "why would you need a CD player" (not that I disagree, but mine is a different reason....he was thinking about spotify, beats, google music, grooveshark, etc.). But the 40-something manager said to my friend, hey wait a second we might have something. He appeared from the back storage area with a Sony CD player in a box and said, "hey we had this one left back in the back, do you want to buy it? We'll sell it cheap".

jimmypowder
2014-07-30, 09:57
And Apple buying beats is even further about the online streaming aspect (based on what I've read). Does seem odd. Then again, other companies have done acquisitions, been confused by the true value, and screwed things up. I've heard stories of this little ahead of its time network streaming company called slim devices that was acquired by Logitech...:p

I also read that Apple bought Beats primarily for the streaming subscription service but if that's the case they could have
bought MOG for 15 million or less .They paid,what ,2 billion or so for Beats!!???!!!