PDA

View Full Version : OT - Best Android phone music player

TheLastMan
2014-07-11, 04:51
I am looking for a music player with music selection and playlist logic as close as possible to Squeezebox - particularly Orange Squeeze. In fact, if Orange Squeeze could index and play the music on my 64GB microSD card then I would be a happy bunny.

I currently use Poweramp but get very frustrated with the way it works. I just want to choose a track or album and either play it, add it to the end of my current list or play it next. I never seem to get Poweramp to do that. I choose an album, select "play" and it plays just the first track before choosing some random track from my library! Not logical at all captain...

Any suggestions?

bakker_be
2014-07-11, 10:05
Mediamonkey maybe? It works quite well, syncs wirelessly with the windows version, supports replaygain ...

Dogberry2
2014-07-11, 10:43
I use MixZing, and it works well. However, I don't think it has a "play next" feature, just an "add to current playlist". And I do occasionally wish for a "play next". If you find your dream player, please let us know!

Stig Nygaard
2014-07-13, 00:43
I choose an album, select "play" and it plays just the first track before choosing some random track from my library! Not logical at all captain...

I once used Poweramp, and don't recognize this part. Have you checked if some settings can change the app's behavior? As I recall it has a lot of configuration options.

But otherwise try GoneMAD Music Player (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp). With this you can choose either Play, Play Next or Enqueue on a track/album. It is my current player of choice.

The killer feature of this player-app for me, was proper organizing of "album artist" tagged music (proper = the way I want it to be, and the way I have LMS set up to do...).

Only annoying thing (for me) is that it "scrobbles" in "radio-mode" (not permanently storing played tracks on your last.fm profile). It's on my to-do to make an error-report or comment to the author about this.

dafiend
2014-07-14, 08:39
Any suggestions?
Currently in the same boat as you. I'm using Poweramp, but I don't think its UI is particularly logical or appealing. I'm putting my hopes (and a few $$$) into mobile foobar2000 (http://mobile.foobar2000.com/).

IMO, foobar2000 is the best player on the desktop by far. So I'm hoping they will deliver on iOS and Android as well.

<rant>I've tried various alternatives to Poweramp (e.g., Winamp, Rocket Music Player) and none of them make me happy. Besides, I think Poweramp is a cash cow at this point. I've reported a number of bugs and they don't do anything to squash them.</rant>

TheLastMan
2014-07-15, 03:01
Currently in the same boat as you. I'm using Poweramp, but I don't think its UI is particularly logical or appealing. I'm putting my hopes (and a few $$$) into mobile foobar2000 (http://mobile.foobar2000.com/).

IMO, foobar2000 is the best player on the desktop by far. So I'm hoping they will deliver on iOS and Android as well.

<rant>I've tried various alternatives to Poweramp (e.g., Winamp, Rocket Music Player) and none of them make me happy. Besides, I think Poweramp is a cash cow at this point. I've reported a number of bugs and they don't do anything to squash them.</rant>
Thanks all for the suggestions folks. Dafiend, glad I am not the only one! Agree with you on Poweramp and its lack of UI logic. It has too many options and takes too much work to set up a play list and I cannot see an easy way to do it on the fly. There is the "enqueue" option, but it only adds to the end, you cannot "play next". And whatever I do it always ends up playing random tracks from my library at some point - very disconcerting!

Currently trying Rocket Music Player which has recently undergone a major update I understand. It does nearly all I want and has much better UI logic, but I am finding it very laggy, settings don't stick through a reboot and it keeps losing my playlists. If it were slicker in use and had fewer bugs I would probably stay with it, but until then, still looking.

Foobar is good on a PC, but I am not sure how well the UI will work when you don't have a full time keyboard and mouse to work with.