PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing LMS / Squeezebox using the Wave Input Plugin

Otto-Wilhelm
2014-07-05, 14:24
I recently discovered the Wave Input Plugin and its power to enhance LMS.

Using two usb sound cards connected with my main server PC hosting LMS and the software virtual audio cable (VAC) the following additional music sources are now available in my LMS / Squeezebox system:

Any windows software or browser application running on the pc hosting LMS, such as the Qobuz application, the Wimp application, Aupeo! (Browser) etc.

A virtual cable of VAC is the standard output device of the pc and can be selected in the favorites menu of LMS by a wavin entry (wavin:3).

Apple AirPlay using an Apple TV device connected via TOS link (optical SPDIF) with the first of the usb sound card having a TOS link input, which can be selected in the favorites menu of LMS by another wavin entry (wavin:0). Accordingly, music from any OSX or IOS device can be streamed via LMS.

Being curious I bought a SONOS CONNECT, which is to be used for making music services available over LMS. Currently it is connected analogously with the analog input of the second ubs sound card (presumably having a better quality than the first) and can be selected in the favorites menu of LMS by a further wavin entry (wavin:4).l

I am trying to avoid the DA-AD-conversion for connecting the SONOS. However, both the coaxial and the optical digital output of the SONOS were not recognized by the available koaxial and optical digital sound card inputs. Perhaps the SONOS sets the copy protection bit in the digital outputs. I am working on this and ordered a Hucht copyprocessor. I will report whether this will work.

Generally, the SONOS clearly has its advantages with respect to the very easy set up. For me it is no alternative in view of my large music collection which is too large for the SONOS. However, some of the music services are quite nice or have a nicer and more powerful UI than the corresponding LMS plugin. For example, the SONOS Qobuz app is much better than the Qobuz plugin for LMS, and there is a SONOS Aupeo! app. However, if someone considers to follow my approach: The corresponding windows applications made available over LMS according to above option 1. are even better and more powerful, but of course can only be controlled via a remote desktop application. The SONOS can be controlled conveniently via remotes such as IPhone and IPad.

A small disadvantage: There is a noticeable delay between "sending" the music according to one of the three options above and "hearing" over a respective squeezebox device. I think that is no big disadvantage and can be taken into account.

pratt733
2016-06-09, 06:56
I'm interested in the same exact thing. I've had both and I prefer LMS for my music library, but I'd rather not resort to Airplay for music services. While I do have it running on all of my Raspberry Pis and it works fine (and even have Airfoil running on a Windows box for multi-room), I'd prefer to keep it inside the LMS interface.

Any luck in outputting the Sonos Connect via digital into your LMS server?

Otto-Wilhelm
2016-06-11, 13:08
I'm interested in the same exact thing. I've had both and I prefer LMS for my music library, but I'd rather not resort to Airplay for music services. While I do have it running on all of my Raspberry Pis and it works fine (and even have Airfoil running on a Windows box for multi-room), I'd prefer to keep it inside the LMS interface.

Any luck in outputting the Sonos Connect via digital into your LMS server?

There is nothing new from my side. I didīt use this set up for a long time. What I occasionally use is Sharetunes 2 plugin for LMS of Max2Play on Odroid -XU3 which works fine for streaming fron Apple Device via Airplay, LMS to Squeezebox client. I do not use the Sonos anymore.

pratt733
2016-06-12, 14:48
Thanks. Sounds similar to what I'm doing.

pratt733
2016-06-14, 03:19
In case anyone's watching this thread, I got this to work (Windows only, I'm afraid) using the following sound card and waveinput:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183ELUTY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best of both worlds now. Using a single SONOS Connect and this gives me access to all the music services SONOS has to offer, with the LMS flexibility of local media playback. And I get to keep my speakers!

d6jg
2016-06-14, 04:01
In case anyone's watching this thread, I got this to work (Windows only, I'm afraid) using the following sound card and waveinput:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183ELUTY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best of both worlds now. Using a single SONOS Connect and this gives me access to all the music services SONOS has to offer, with the LMS flexibility of local media playback. And I get to keep my speakers!

Also have a look at - www.streamwhatyouhear.com - will take anything that hits your sound card and convert it to a stream (PCM or MP3) which LMS can play via "Tune in URL" - the drawback remains that it can only be controlled via RDP or similar.