PDA

View Full Version : Rebuffering problem with wireless network....

morthan
2014-06-27, 22:21
I am running 6 synchronized squeezeboxes (3 Touch, 3 Radio) on a wireless network through LMS on a current (fast) Readynas NAS. I am getting constant rebuffering ( can range from a few seconds to a minute) to the point that its completely unusable. This occurs irrespective of whether I am using my local library or internet radio streaming. Signal strength ranges 100% to 20% (strangely the 20% is second closest to the router). I have tried a complete power cycle of the router and squeezeboxes but that hasn't helped. I am also running 7 Logitech Alert security cameras but my limited understanding is that they should not be causing interference. I have tried to eliminate other issues such as microwave etc but still have the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions as I need to get it working for a important function next week. Thank you in advance.

w3wilkes
2014-06-27, 22:59
Are all the Squeeze devices wireless? What music format is going over your network, FLAC, WAV, MP3? I think WAV would be most taxing and MP3 would be the least. What about the 7 cameras, are they live video and wireless? If the answer is yes, I'd start shutting off cameras. If you get to where all the cameras are shut down and still have the rebuffering then you know your cameras aren't overloading the network causing the squeezes to be rebuffering. I'm sure others will chime in here too.

Mnyb
2014-06-27, 23:12
Is the NAS wired to the network if not do that you cut the load in half .

20% is not good , as you see when syncing the player with worst wifi would ruin it .

There are countless treads on this forum on how to trace wifi problems , read them a lot of good hints .
Having many neighbours with wifi ?

But my 0.02$:

*Squeezeboxes wifi is not the best .

*wifi itself is problematic and in some enviroments with disturbances and competing networks it just won't do .

Therefore instead of wasting to much time fighting wifi issues just wire up as much as possible of the system .
IMO things that don't move should have Ethernet , leave wifi to the portable stuff .

bpa
2014-06-28, 01:29
With such long delay and all the players are synced , I would guess that one player may be the cause (the alternatives could be a server / network overload or dying router) and so you may need only to "fix" one player.

I suggest try to get a scenario where rebuffering happens predictably and then run a series of tests, repeating the scenario but taking one player out of the sync group for each test.

If rebuffering goes away on one of your tests when a specific player is not in the sync group then check he player to see what is the problem.
If rebuffering does not go away - look for some more systemic such as server or network overload.

toby10
2014-06-28, 01:53
..... This occurs irrespective of whether I am using my local library or internet radio streaming.....

..... while still connected to the NAS? This could still be a NAS issue. Are the cameras recording to the NAS also?

Tried connecting players directly to MySB.com (no NAS)? Same symptoms?

morthan
2014-06-28, 02:05
Thank you for your suggestions. Before I read them I was thinking how odd it was that the second closest player to the router had a signal strength of only 20% and others further away were much stronger. So I did a little test and turned it off. Voila....everything else worked as it should. I then realised that this Touch player was also connected wirelessly to its speakers. Clearly that was interfering with the router signal. I moved the player from its position to see if I could get a stronger signal. Got it to 75% strength by moving it marginally. That made the difference and I've now had no buffering for about an hour. I might well have fixed the problem.

Another issue you might be able to help me with is with settings. I have one player that is named 'unnamed controller'. When I choose 'settings' in LMS and choose the 'player' tab I get this message '404 Not Found: playerid=00:04:20:27:0a:d3' and nothing else. I used to be able to change the name of the player by going into this tab. Any suggestions?

jimbobvfr400
2014-06-28, 04:02
What browser. I know there was an issue with certain settings pages and certain versions on Internet Explorer, just wondering if that might possibly be your issue with setting the name?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

morthan
2014-06-28, 04:28
What browser. I know there was an issue with certain settings pages and certain versions on Internet Explorer, just wondering if that might possibly be your issue with setting the name?

I'm running IE 11 with Windows 8.1

jimbobvfr400
2014-06-28, 04:41
Well IE11 was certainly the browser with the issue, give Chrome or Firefox a go.

jimbobvfr400
2014-06-28, 04:42
Found a thread about this http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99826-LMS-really-doesn-t-like-IE11-(Windows-8-1)