PDA

View Full Version : Problem to synchronize different devices

ryuks
2014-06-26, 02:15
Hi all,

I have a mixed squeezelite configurations at home. One is an odroid (similar to raspberry but most powerful) device where I have installed squeezelite from squeezeplug and the other one is a windows pc with an squeezelite emulator downloaded from this webpage: http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/ (windows version). I use a Synology Nas as a LMS server and I manage all of them with orange squeeze (android mobile)

Working alone they work perfect but when I have to synchronize both, seems that there are a few delay between them. To be honest is just a few delay (maybe 0.5 seconds +-) but if both devices are closed you can hear that there are a few delay between them.

Is that normal?? Could be caused by different squeezelite versions??(windows and linux) Would be help if all devices used the same squeezelite version?? (all windows version, all linux version…)

Or simply that synchronize not works fine in emulator versions??

Thanks in advance.

toby10
2014-06-26, 07:13
Or simply that synchronize not works fine in emulator versions??......

That is likely your culprit. Software players don't Sync well where hardware players Sync extremely well.

pippin
2014-06-26, 07:49
My experience is that recentlySqueezeLite on Linux syncs pretty well, too.
On Windows, I'm sure you'll needs to use an ASIO driver to ever get decent sync, I believe there's a SqueezePlay build that supports it.

With Android sync quality depends on the device on iOS it works on all devices newer than 4 years or so (anything that supports iOS 5)

Overall, sync quality for software players is improving with Windows generally being the element with it's non-deterministic driver timing.

GeeJay
2014-06-26, 18:06
My experience is that recentlySqueezeLite on Linux syncs pretty well, too.
On Windows, I'm sure you'll needs to use an ASIO driver to ever get decent sync, I believe there's a SqueezePlay build that supports it.

With Android sync quality depends on the device on iOS it works on all devices newer than 4 years or so (anything that supports iOS 5)

Overall, sync quality for software players is improving with Windows generally being the element with it's non-deterministic driver timing.

It's been awhile since I tried to sync any of my iOS devices. I need to try again. That could fill a temporary need for me, if it works.

pippin
2014-06-26, 18:12
It's been awhile since I tried to sync any of my iOS devices. I need to try again. That could fill a temporary need for me, if it works.

Oh, iOS really works well starting with ARM7. Both iPeng and SqueezePad, I believe, although I obviously didn't test SqueezePad too much.
With iPeng and under iOS 7 even connecting devices through AirPlay will give you pretty good sync, at least if the AirPlay device doesn't add a delay of it's own (iPeng compensates for the AirPlay delay but can't compensate for what the device itself or amps/DACs/... behind it add). Not sure about how exact the AirPlay sync is under iOS 6.
What's difficult, at least for the devices I've tested is adding a Bluetooth hop. If you connect Bluetooth devices they will drift back and forth quite significantly. No idea how Bluetooth handles this but it's probably one of the reasons Bluetooth audio generally sounds so bad.

Mnyb
2014-06-26, 23:36
Oh, iOS really works well starting with ARM7. Both iPeng and SqueezePad, I believe, although I obviously didn't test SqueezePad too much.
With iPeng and under iOS 7 even connecting devices through AirPlay will give you pretty good sync, at least if the AirPlay device doesn't add a delay of it's own (iPeng compensates for the AirPlay delay but can't compensate for what the device itself or amps/DACs/... behind it add). Not sure about how exact the AirPlay sync is under iOS 6.
What's difficult, at least for the devices I've tested is adding a Bluetooth hop. If you connect Bluetooth devices they will drift back and forth quite significantly. No idea how Bluetooth handles this but it's probably one of the reasons Bluetooth audio generally sounds so bad.

In general delay added by DAC or processor is constant you can tweak some synk parameter for that

pippin
2014-06-27, 02:52
In general delay added by DAC or processor is constant you can tweak some synk parameter for that

Usually not. iPeng adjusts the sync timing by itself to adapt to known latencies in the various output devices iOS can use (which can differ significantly, AirPlay is 2s off even the analog output in different iOS devices can differ by up to 20ms and good docks or USB DACs will report their latency) so you can't use the server-side latency setting. And it doesn't have an additional tweak setting.
You could tweak the timing for your other players as long as you only us one device with iPeng.
Nobody needed that so far and it's generally also very, very hard to get the timing set correctly through manual setup, I believe that would be too confusing for most users

Mnyb
2014-06-27, 03:01
Usually not. iPeng adjusts the sync timing by itself to adapt to known latencies in the various output devices iOS can use (which can differ significantly, AirPlay is 2s off even the analog output in different iOS devices can differ by up to 20ms and good docks or USB DACs will report their latency) so you can't use the server-side latency setting. And it doesn't have an additional tweak setting.
You could tweak the timing for your other players as long as you only us one device with iPeng.
Nobody needed that so far and it's generally also very, very hard to get the timing set correctly through manual setup, I believe that would be too confusing for most users

Yea I simply meaned the timing settings in LMS I have to add some 100 ms for my processor and digital speakers

pippin
2014-06-27, 03:31
Yea I simply meaned the timing settings in LMS I have to add some 100 ms for my processor and digital speakers

I know. And that doesn't work with iPeng as a player if you have a delay _behind_ the last device iOS "sees".