PDA

View Full Version : Controller playing up, continuous rebooting and wifii problems

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 10:26
I have a Duet. The Receiver is fine and most of the time I control it from iPeng HD. But I do still have a Controller and I use it occasionally. But over the last few months it's been losing the wireless network and needing reconnecting, or getting stuck in an endless loop of continually rebooting (I leave it and after a few hours it recovers) and so on. Some days I can't get it to work at all, then it will go a week working flawlessly.

I've now upgraded to LMS 7.8.0 (I was on 7.7.3 since it came out) and the Controller was upgraded. Since it rebooted at the end of the upgrade it's not been able to see the network, and has now forgotten the name of the player. If I go into Diagnostics -> Wireless Info it shows no data. Diagnostics -> Networking won't enter the meny, when I click on Networking I get the right/left screen wobble which says this can't be done.

Is there are hope for this Controller? Is this a known fault that I can do something about? I'm happy to have a go at opening it up and unplugging/replugging a wifi card and cleaning contacts etc. if that is what it needs.

I'm about to try a "Restore Factory Settings" and see if that does any good.

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 10:34
Doesn't look good. I had to remove the battery to get it to restart and display the screen saying factory settings had been restored. When it rebooted again from there and displayed the Choose Language menu, I clicked English and it rebooted. I'm back at Choose Language again, this time selecting English says "Loading English" but after it's done that I'm back at the Choose Language menu. Scrolling up and down the Choose Language menu is also very slow.

w3wilkes
2014-06-07, 11:09
The 7.8.0 is working fine on both my controllers so I doubt it is a controller firmware problem. What's the signal strength for your wifi when trying to set up the controller? If you're far away and have a weak signal or signal interference you could have problems. I guess it's also possible that the firmware update itself had some type issue. You could reload the firmware using the method of inserting a SD card into the controller to remove the possibility of your network connection being a problem. I believe the SD card upgrade method is documented in one of the wiki pages.

w3wilkes
2014-06-07, 11:15
Found the wiki page on methods of updating controller...
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeOS_Upgrades

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 11:29
The 7.8.0 is working fine on both my controllers so I doubt it is a controller firmware problem. What's the signal strength for your wifi when trying to set up the controller? If you're far away and have a weak signal or signal interference you could have problems. I guess it's also possible that the firmware update itself had some type issue. You could reload the firmware using the method of inserting a SD card into the controller to remove the possibility of your network connection being a problem. I believe the SD card upgrade method is documented in one of the wiki pages.

Signal strength is around 80% so I doubt that's the issue.

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 11:38
Found the wiki page on methods of updating controller...
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeOS_Upgrades

The SD Card methods looks like my best chance. But the jive.bin file the wiki links to does not exist, nor can I find one in any of the current nightly builds. I've looked in my 7.7.2, 7.7.3 and 7.8.0 downloaded binaries directories (I grab everything for all platforms for official releases) and there isn't one there either. Nor is there one in the installed LMS 7.8.0 directory in C:\Program Files on my server, which is rather strange since the network download process found the file from somewhere. Maybe it has a different filename?

w3wilkes
2014-06-07, 11:55
You are in luck. You can find every firmware version for every squeeze device here...
http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 12:37
You are in luck. You can find every firmware version for every squeeze device here...
http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/

Thanks for that. But surely it must be somewhere within my installed LMS 7.8.0? Or are we still reliant on Logitech for the web site? I thought 7.8.0 got rid of any reliance on Logitech servers.

w3wilkes
2014-06-07, 13:18
Don't know about WHSv1, but on WHS2011 and Win7 the updates are here;
C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\updates
You might find them somewhere like here on WHSv1;
C:\Users\All Users\Squeezebox\Cache\updates

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 13:41
Don't know about WHSv1, but on WHS2011 and Win7 the updates are here;
C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\updates
You might find them somewhere like here on WHSv1;
C:\Users\All Users\Squeezebox\Cache\updates

Ah, seems to be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\updates

but this only contains jive_7.8.0_r16739.bin and jive.version so it looks to me as if LMS downloads the player updates on demand from the Logitech web sites.

I say again, I thought 7.8.0 was supposed to remove all dependencies on Logitech servers? That to me should mean it comes with all the updates for all players bundled into the server installation. Otherwise if I install it in 10 years time or whatever, it won't necessarily work.

get.amped
2014-06-07, 14:02
Ah, seems to be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\updates

but this only contains jive_7.8.0_r16739.bin and jive.version so it looks to me as if LMS downloads the player updates on demand from the Logitech web sites.

I say again, I thought 7.8.0 was supposed to remove all dependencies on Logitech servers? That to me should mean it comes with all the updates for all players bundled into the server installation. Otherwise if I install it in 10 years time or whatever, it won't necessarily work.

That updates directory is for new versions of LMS I believe.

Firmware versions for the installed version of LMS are in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Firmware

On my system (7.9) it includes .bin files for boom_30, boom_57, receiver_77, squeezebox_10, squeezebox_40, squeezebox2_137 and transporter_87.

w3wilkes
2014-06-07, 14:13
You will also find out that 7.8 didn't really remove all dependency on MySB.com. I believe that the setup process for the controller will still prompt you for your MySB.com login credentials. Just for grins you could disconnect your network from the Big-I and see if you can complete the controller setup without access to the internet. They say it can be done, but I wasn't able to do it so I just gave up and completed the setup with full internet access.

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 15:26
That directory on WHS v1 is:

C:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\Firmware

but this only contains firmware for IP3K based players. It doesn't contain any SqueezePlay based devices like the Controller.

Owen Smith
2014-06-07, 15:29
You will also find out that 7.8 didn't really remove all dependency on MySB.com. I believe that the setup process for the controller will still prompt you for your MySB.com login credentials. Just for grins you could disconnect your network from the Big-I and see if you can complete the controller setup without access to the internet. They say it can be done, but I wasn't able to do it so I just gave up and completed the setup with full internet access.

I don't use my MySB.com account any more.You can bypass it on the Controller setup by pressing and holding back arrow at the relevant point. Neither my LMS installation nor my player or iPengHD know what my account is any more, I got fed up with accidentally selecting MySB.com and having players change firmware version. I've never found MySB.com to be useful, I can't see what purpose it serves. I have a perfectly good LMS at home.

Owen Smith
2014-06-08, 04:55
Well I left it overnight, it said "Please Wait" with the rotating circle for at least twelve hours (I don't know how it got into that state). Then I removed and reinserted the battery, and it came up and went through initial setup with no problems at all. Already had 7.8.0 on so I didn't need to upgrade it again, looks like the first one worked. Went through the massive pain of entering the wifi password again, sigh.

I can confirm that if you press and hold <- left arrow button you can skip entering a MySB.com account.

So I'll see how well it behaves now. I do have two more complete Duets in storage so if this Controller is dying it's not the end of the world. This is after all why I bought spares.

mherger
2014-06-10, 00:51
>> but this only contains jive_7.8.0_r16739.bin and jive.version so it
>> looks to me as if LMS downloads the player updates on demand from the
>> Logitech web sites.

That's correct. Because you most likely don't want the overhead of an
additional 60-65MB in every LMS installation package.

>> I say again, I thought 7.8.0 was supposed to remove all dependencies on
>> Logitech servers?

That's not correct. There are vital dependencies (without which LMS
would not be functional), like eg. the Radios menus, or the image proxy.
And then there are nice to haves. Firmware updates nowadays are mostly
in this category, as there haven't been many in a long time.

And it can only be repeated: there's no reason to panic. Devices are
still in the stores. mysb.com therefore has to run a little longer than
you might expect. There are no plans to shut it down.

> That updates directory is for new versions of LMS I believe.

New LMS and new SP firmwares. Some vendors distribute LMS without the
ip3k firmwares, too. In that case it would be used for them as well.

> C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Firmware
>
> On my system (7.9) it includes .bin files for boom_30, boom_57,
> receiver_77, squeezebox_10, squeezebox_40, squeezebox2_137 and
> transporter_87.

The old ip3k firmwares are distributed with LMS.

--

Michael

Owen Smith
2014-06-10, 06:22
Thanks for the clarifications Michael.

I didn't realise there are still SqueezeBoxes in stores. In the UK they've all been gone for well over a year, and all the online sellers appear not to have any new stock. All you can get in the UK is second hand stuff.

I realise the mysb.com servers will need to run for at least a couple of years (maybe more) after the last device is sold, but I thought we were already about a year into that time.

Returning to the topic, my Controller is behaving itself much better now. It's been misbehaving more and more for the last six months, so it will be nice if the upgrade has fixed it. I wonder if read disturbance corrupted the NAND Flash?