Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emperor Wu
    • Nov 2007

SB1 wireless problem with Ubiquiti UniFi AP

I'm a long time Squeezebox user and have both the Squeeezebox 1 and Squeezebox 2. I recently switched off my dying Linksys WRT-54G access point and replaced it with a Ubiquiti UniFi AP. This AP supports a number of protocols but I set up a wireless network with name "Switcheroo" and WEP 64-bit security. My Squeezebox 2 sees the network fine and connects, but the SB1 does not. When I get to the "Choose your wireless network (SSID):" screen when I scroll down, rather than seeing "real" network names I see things like:

zézézézézézézézézézézézézézézézé

or

DéDéDéDéDéDéDéDéDéDéDéDéDéDé

I do get the choice to enter my own network name, and I can enter "Switcheroo" and specify the password, and it goes to "Connecting to wireless network" and counts down from 20, then fails to find the network.

Has anyone seen this garbled network name issue before? Any advice?
  • Emperor Wu
    • Nov 2007

I think it's dead, Jim

OP again.
    I think the poor thing is dying.

I turned my old access point on again for testing, and I see the same issue with the old AP that I see with the new AP: the network list is garbled, and even if I type in the SSID (laboriously, letter by letter, with the remote) it won't connect. I switched it to a wired connection and completed setup. It was able to allocate an IP address from my DHCP server and connect to my LMS, ending with the "Setup is complete! Press the right button to use your Squeezebox". I press the right button, and the display goes off and doesn't come back on.

Comment

• chenrikson
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Emperor Wu
      OP again.
      I think the poor thing is dying.

I turned my old access point on again for testing, and I see the same issue with the old AP that I see with the new AP: the network list is garbled, and even if I type in the SSID (laboriously, letter by letter, with the remote) it won't connect. I switched it to a wired connection and completed setup. It was able to allocate an IP address from my DHCP server and connect to my LMS, ending with the "Setup is complete! Press the right button to use your Squeezebox". I press the right button, and the display goes off and doesn't come back on.

IIRC the 1 won't connect to WEP. I have a laptop like that (sigh) Wired is the way to go, but you still have the display problem (I assume you haven't turned it down) Is the unit usable with iPeng or similar controllers?

Comment

• Emperor Wu
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by chenrikson
        IIRC the 1 won't connect to WEP.
        You are correct -- it appears the 1 won't connect to WEP.

I have resolved two problems:
        1) the wireless PCMCIA card inside had become partially dislodged and needed to be reseated.
        2) I created another wireless network on the UniFi AP that has no security, and the SB 1 is able to connect to that. I hid the SSID on this unsecured network, and also configured it so that it has access only to the DHCP server and the SlimServer.

The machine is back up and working again -- Yay!

Comment

• JJZolx
          • Apr 2005

Why are you using WEP instead of the more secure WPA/WPA2?

The Squeezebox 1 will connect to WEP, but not WPA. See:

Comment

• Emperor Wu
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by JJZolx
            The Squeezebox 1 will connect to WEP, but not WPA. See:
            http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?14664
            Others clearly know more about this than I do, but I have been unable to get my SB1 to see a WEP wireless network using 64-bit encryption. As soon as I create a wireless network without encryption, the SB1 works again.

Comment

Working...