PDA

View Full Version : Additional speaker setup options for Squeezebox Duet for audio newbie

finkster
2014-06-03, 13:07
Man i wish i knew this forum was here 2 years ago, finally set up my squeezebox duet and looking to expand. The current set-up is through the soundbar in my living room. I don't have any [/B]other speaker/AV equipment.

I'd like to run a second line from my Duet to some yet-to-be-bought outdoor speakers as I have the coax and optical outputs free.

The problem is that I don't know if I can run direct to speakers...and if so, what are the right type of speakers to buy. Can i get away without running through an amp/receiver?

Any guidance or thoughts would be most welcome!!!

Julf
2014-06-04, 02:25
Man i wish i knew this forum was here 2 years ago, finally set up my squeezebox duet and looking to expand. The current set-up is through the soundbar in my living room. I don't have any [/B]other speaker/AV equipment.

I'd like to run a second line from my Duet to some yet-to-be-bought outdoor speakers as I have the coax and optical outputs free.

The problem is that I don't know if I can run direct to speakers...and if so, what are the right type of speakers to buy. Can i get away without running through an amp/receiver?

Any guidance or thoughts would be most welcome!!!

From a coax or optical output, you need a bunch of things in a chain - first a DAC (digital-to-analog converter), then an amplifier, and then the speaker(s). Often some of the components are packaged together - an amplifier with digital inputs has a built-in DAC for the inputs, and an active speaker has a built-in amplifier. But active speakers with digital inputs (thus packaging all 3 components) are rarer, and mostly for professional use (thus expensive).

jimbobvfr400
2014-06-04, 10:06
What soundbar is it? You may find it has a spare digital input leaving the analogue output on the SB free for your speakers.

Regarding the speakers themselves, are these to be specific outdoor speakers or simply speakers you can take outside if you want?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

finkster
2014-06-04, 18:53
jimbobvf3400- The hope is to set up a pair of dedicated, weatherproof speakers outside on the deck.

The sound bar is a Sony with only optical (used for my tv), analog and HDMI inputs.

Mnyb
2014-06-04, 20:48
Some simple DAC to convert the optical or coax to analog , then just shop any active speakers ( with built in amps ).

But as it is for outside use and maybe not the most "hifi" demands , you could get or reuse some used leftover ht reciever with built in digital inputs .

d6jg
2014-06-05, 05:17
Not advisable to use Active Speakers outdoors as you would need to have a power supply outdoors as well. Instead suggest you consider a cheap amp with a coaxial and/or optical input which you would locate near the Duet and then run some standard speaker cable to outdoors. There are plenty of suitable outdoor speakers around. As for the amp can I suggest a Topping TP31 which produces 15w per channel (about 70 in UK but less in US) has a coax input and is very good sound quality wise for its price point.

aubuti
2014-06-05, 11:10
Not advisable to use Active Speakers outdoors as you would need to have a power supply outdoors as well. Instead suggest you consider a cheap amp with a coaxial and/or optical input which you would locate near the Duet and then run some standard speaker cable to outdoors. There are plenty of suitable outdoor speakers around. As for the amp can I suggest a Topping TP31 which produces 15w per channel (about 70 in UK but less in US) has a coax input and is very good sound quality wise for its price point.
+1. Active (self-amplified) speakers and wet weather do not go well together.

And similarly I would not advise running "standard" speaker cable outdoors either. For a little bit extra cost you can get more durable speaker cable that is designed for outdoor use, including dampness and extreme temperature fluctuations.

My outdoor setup is an AudioSource AMP100 tucked in the joists in the basement (sorry, analog outputs only), and then running outdoor-grade speaker cable to a pair of Polk Audio Atrium 45 speakers on the patio. For extra convenience I have a weather-resistant gain control mounted on the deck railing so that I can quickly turn the volume up or down without having to find the remote/Controller/iPad.

finkster
2014-06-12, 09:51
+1.
My outdoor setup is an AudioSource AMP100 tucked in the joists in the basement (sorry, analog outputs only), and then running outdoor-grade speaker cable to a pair of Polk Audio Atrium 45 speakers on the patio.

thanks aubuti. out of curiosity, what is connecting the squeezebox to the AMP100 in the basement. That seems to be the piece that i just can figure out.

aubuti
2014-06-12, 11:05
thanks aubuti. out of curiosity, what is connecting the squeezebox to the AMP100 in the basement. That seems to be the piece that i just can figure out.
Just an ordinary analog cable with RCA plugs. I didn't mention that the SB is a Duet Receiver sitting on top of the amp in the basement. See photo here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?19817-A-photo-of-your-Squeezebox-setup-(please)&p=604307#post604307
From the yellow RCA plug dangling in the photo I assume the cable is an old 3-strand (red, white, yellow) cable I had leftover from an old VHS or CD player.

Pascal Hibon
2014-06-17, 23:31
Just an ordinary analog cable with RCA plugs. I didn't mention that the SB is a Duet Receiver sitting on top of the amp in the basement. See photo here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?19817-A-photo-of-your-Squeezebox-setup-(please)&p=604307#post604307
From the yellow RCA plug dangling in the photo I assume the cable is an old 3-strand (red, white, yellow) cable I had leftover from an old VHS or CD player.

Nice.
Do you leave those speakers outside all year round?

aubuti
2014-06-18, 13:16
Nice.
Do you leave those speakers outside all year round?
Yes, usually. I brought them inside a few winters ago when we had some long stretches of sub-freezing weather. And I'm beginning to worry that I should have done it this past winter as well, which was also unusually cold. The other day it sounded like one of the speakers was buzzing a little, as if the speaker surround was damaged, but it was hard to be sure with the other ambient noise at the time.

finkster
2014-06-19, 08:36
following up on my really naive questions, wondering if this receiver will serve my needs as a go between from my SB duet to outdoor passive speakers? its available from a neighbor and while probably not perfect, wondering if it is good enough for now.

http://www.cnet.com/products/pioneer-vsx-d814-k/specs/

Thanks!

jimbobvfr400
2014-06-19, 13:20
That'll certainly work, digital inputs as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mnyb
2014-06-20, 00:58
following up on my really naive questions, wondering if this receiver will serve my needs as a go between from my SB duet to outdoor passive speakers? its available from a neighbor and while probably not perfect, wondering if it is good enough for now.

http://www.cnet.com/products/pioneer-vsx-d814-k/specs/

Thanks!

Oh yes for outdoor not hifi it's more than good :) use the digital inputs .

You may take advantage of the multichannel feature if there is a 5 ch "stereo mode" or some similar soundscape then you could sprinkle your outdoor with more speakers. Or use it's second zones and conect analog and digital ?
Very versitail if you get for a decent price go with it .

aubuti
2014-06-20, 07:35
Yes, that should work just fine. Do I read the specs correctly that it has only digital inputs, no analog? Surprising (to me), but maybe that's the norm for AV receivers.

get.amped
2014-06-20, 07:49
Yes, that should work just fine. Do I read the specs correctly that it has only digital inputs, no analog? Surprising (to me), but maybe that's the norm for AV receivers.

C/Net just didn't put them in their spec sheet. The documentation shows how to connect analog stereo and multi-channel sources:

aubuti
2014-06-21, 07:35
Thanks, that makes more sense to me, as one who has many (older) amps and none of them have any digital inputs.....