PDA

View Full Version : What happened to communitysqueeze.org

kolding
2014-05-26, 16:37
A few (several) weeks ago the home page disappeared, and now the entire thing appears to have gone kaput. Looks like even the name registration has been changed. Is that project just toast now?

JJZolx
2014-05-26, 16:54
Is that project just toast now?

It's on life support.

SlimChances
2014-05-26, 16:58
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99395-Community-Squeeze-OS-F19-Release-1/page248

erland
2014-05-26, 17:05
A few (several) weeks ago the home page disappeared, and now the entire thing appears to have gone kaput. Looks like even the name registration has been changed. Is that project just toast now?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99395-Community-Squeeze-OS-F19-Release-1&p=778440&viewfull=1#post778440
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99395-Community-Squeeze-OS-F19-Release-1&p=778821&viewfull=1#post778821
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99395-Community-Squeeze-OS-F19-Release-1&p=778883&viewfull=1#post778883
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99395-Community-Squeeze-OS-F19-Release-1&p=781385&viewfull=1#post781385

GeeJay
2014-05-26, 20:41
I sure hope the disclosure in #2483 doesn't mean that litigation was being contemplated over this. It would be a shame if folks weren't allowed to fill the vacuum Logitech left, particularly if no company has plans to do so.

captain-insano
2014-06-02, 15:03
I wish we could go back and look at the threads when people where predicting the demise of the squeezebox when Logitech purchased them to hear the fanboys rant that nothing will change. Crow tastes like SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeeJay
2014-06-02, 17:34
Well, I bet they don't feel any better about the way things turned out than you do.

And do we really know how things would have worked out had Logitech not bought Slim? Who knows what their (Slim's) financial viability might have been? It's quite possible they were at the point that they couldn't have gone on without a deep-pockets partner, and might have met their demise even sooner without the capital provided by Logitech.

I'm disappointed, too, but you know what? My SBs have given me tremendous joy over the past 7 years, and I expect they still will for at least a little longer until hopefully something else comes along. That's a pretty good return on my investment, and I'm happy that I at least had a 7-year period where I enjoyed a system that perfectly met my needs.

DJanGo
2014-06-03, 02:58
Hmmmmmmm....

Whats the name of this url where the Forum is hosted?

slimdevices.com

Who ownes and pays slimdevices.com ?

Logitech

Did they "help" us to run our "old stuff"

Yupp

When slimdevices starts?
My 1st Box should be from 2004 or something..

Are there any updates since now?
For shure (the newer are from Michael Herger / private)

Is there any "software" thats nearly same "old" you get updates for free?
Just think about Windows XP - as times goes by

I wish we could go back and look at the threads when people where predicting the demise of the squeezebox when Logitech purchased them to hear the fanboys rant that nothing will change

What a bullshit nonsense (sorry)
Is LMS a bunch of perl scripts or a blackbox executable?

JohnSwenson
2014-06-03, 20:37
This project has not died! It is undergoing restructuring due to some legal issues we had not fully understood when starting this. We are working hard at trying to come up with ways to work around the legal stuff and get back up and running again.

John S.

dasmueller
2014-06-03, 21:05
Great news John !

JackOfAll
2014-06-03, 23:53
This project has not died! It is undergoing restructuring due to some legal issues we had not fully understood when starting this. We are working hard at trying to come up with ways to work around the legal stuff and get back up and running again.

Really, John? Posting in a thread titled "What happened to communitysqueeze.org", stating that "this project has not died", and telling people that it is "undergoing restructuring"? If it wasn't already clear that you couldn't care less about any of the issues that I am left with in regard to what was the Community Squeeze project, it is now!

What I suspect John meant to say, is that whilst the Community Squeeze web site is down, the Community Squeeze software repository has been taken offline, and the software image know as Community Squeeze OS has been withdrawn and is no longer being distributed, he, (and probably Adrian as well as he used "we" rather than "I"), is working hard on releasing his hardware design, but it won't be under the Community Squeeze "brand" and will not be supported by Community Squeeze software. The project known as Community Squeeze, to provide a community hardware player and the software to support it has ended! It no longer exists! Only the legal liability for the software that was released under that name remains.

ModelCitizen
2014-06-04, 01:15
It's so sad that this wholly commendable initiative appears to have fallen off the rails. I have trawled my way through the main thread but still do not really understand what is going on. Is Logitech suing JackofAll? If not, who is? Why are they attempting to sue him? And importantly, who is Clive?

JackOfAll
2014-06-04, 01:33
Is Logitech suing JackofAll? If not, who is? Why are they attempting to sue him?

I have posted as much as I can without making the situation any worse. And for the record, Logitech isn't suing anyone related to what was Community Squeeze, AFAIK! Speculation won't help anyone. That's the last thing I need.

And importantly, who is Clive?

JackOfAll == Clive == Me

JJZolx
2014-06-04, 07:36
Clive, why don't you just bow out ... gracefully ... and leave the issue alone, once and for all. If you're done, you're done.

Bye.

Corelli45
2014-06-04, 14:14
What a shame. I am presuming that the developers have different views about where they wish to go with their own individual projects?