PDA

View Full Version : another broken duet...

davemal
2014-05-25, 17:23
Hi,

I am pretty new to the Duet. I have had a SB3 and Boom for a few years and recently borrowed a Duet from a mate who bought one after seeing my setup and never installed it as he is not too techie... you know the type.

Anyway it is a few years old and had never been opened when I got it. I got the guide, installed it and got it working a few weeks ago. In that time it used it at least 10 times including once when it was running for the whole day. Am using iPeng as the remote. All was good.

I went to use it yesterday but couldnt get it to power on (in Ipeng). The LED was stuck on blue from memory... After a few hours of running around, resets, checking and double checking, I found that;

- with a factory reset on the Duet receiver, I could 'mostly' get it to connect to the wired network. It would appear as a player in iPeng and the controller and was able get it to connect to SBServer. I could also get it to 'play' though there was no audio output.
- there is activity at the ethernet port (visual, not stats)
- there is no output via the analogue terminals though I get a 'pop' if I connect it while the amp is on
- my DAC shows 'no signal' when connected via optical.
- focused on wired. Tried wireless once but was not able to get it to work either.
- sooner or later, I would lose the device from iPeng/controller and would have to reset.
- updated the controller but it did not push to the receiver so assume it was already up to date, esp as it has been running a while already.

There seems to be a general stability problem with the device from a network perspective and also perhaps audio output when it does actually work.

I am now at a loss as to whats next. As the device is a loaner, I am feeling pretty uncomfortable.

Is there a next step ?

There is another thread on the front page where the wifi card was reseated and joints resoldered. Is this something I would need to consider ? Guides ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks

Mnyb
2014-05-25, 19:38
I would sugest you let the firmware upgrade go trough to the reciever too if it's never used it has really old firmware and it needs to be changed .

Do a factory reset , hold button until it flashes red fast , you hold some seconds more than the normal,reset .

w3wilkes
2014-05-25, 20:05
Once you've done the factory reset on the receiver you should also do it on the controller and do a setup from scratch. If you want it on Ethernet, be sure you have it connected that way before you start the setup process. If it recognizes that you're Ethernet connected it will ask if you want Ethernet or wireless connection as one of the very first things, I think right after it asks about what language. Either way the controller will ask you for the wireless network key. Then if you're wireless on the receiver the controller should ask you about setting up the receiver and give you a list of receivers it sees (probably just the one) in a reset state by its MAC address. select it. At this point if you're wireless the controller will set up the receiver. You should see the light on the front go to yellow, then green (meaning it has asked for a IP), then blue (meaning the receiver got a IP from the router) then finally dull white (meaning it has hooked up to LMS). This wiki describes the front light meanings.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED
This setup is not the fastest thing so give it a couple of minutes to go through this process. One thing you didn't mention is what version of LMS are you running and is it set to download updates. If you're on a older release and switch to MySB.com you will get prompted to switch firmware and then when you switch back to LMS you'll get prompted to switch firmware again to match the LMS release. I never switch to MySB so I never run into this, but thought I'd mention it so you know what will happen if your LMS version is out of sync with MySB.

Mnyb
2014-05-25, 20:56
And is it really unused ? No old mysqueezebox.com account it is previously registered to ? If that's the case the original owner must logg in to his account and delete the player .

davemal
2014-05-25, 21:07
Thanks Guys,

Sorry for the confusion - I obviously haven't made myself clear. I have done numerous factory resets on the receiver and a couple on the controller. I am mostly able to get it to connect to the SBS after going back to default ie. once I get a white LED. When I am able to get here, I just cant get any audio out of it, despite iPeng and the controller saying that it is playing.

I would need to check my SB version. I run vortexbox and it is updated regularly. It's been a few years since I have seen that error when SB and mysb.com get out of sync. I thought that there was a fix for that some time ago, but will check.

I'm not too sure about s/w version being the issue - it was working fine for a couple of weeks with both mysb.com and SB. I havent upgrade my SBS/vortexbox for ~1 month so I dont believe that there has been a s/w change to trigger this. I tried upgrading simply as another method of starting afresh.

Another thing that I am planning on trying is to power on with the button depressed. I just found the doc that explains this. Out of curiosity I did this and noticed the cycling of LED colours but didnt know audio was sent out. I want to check this and see if audio is present...

thanks

davemal
2014-05-25, 21:09
And is it really unused ? No old mysqueezebox.com account it is previously registered to ? If that's the case the original owner must logg in to his account and delete the player .

Yep - It was all blister pack when I got it. I registered it successfully to my mySB.com account for a number of weeks.

w3wilkes
2014-05-25, 21:50
Have you booted your router? One comment is I think that all "turning off the receiver" does is turn off the light. I never shut mine off, they've now been on for 5 and 4 years with no trouble.

Have you tried connecting to MySB to see if you get sound? Are you trying to play a file type that the receiver doesn't support and the LMS does not have the codec to do the transcoding on the server to a format the receiver can play?

Sorry if your past all this... I'm kind of shooting in the dark just throwing out suggestions.

Mnyb
2014-05-25, 22:06
Ok do you get audio on any other output coax digital or analog ?

What's the volume at .

davemal
2014-05-25, 23:18
thanks Guys,

'Turning off' is simply turning off via iPeng. ie. half asleep mode. Power is/was on all the time.

Yes rebooted routers (x2) and also SBServer.

Attempted to play numerous files - my collection is 99% flac. Interestingly, at one point I was attempting to play a file on my troublesome Duet and it started playing on my SB3 ! At that point physically powered off my other SB players.

I didnt double-check the volume however it was set to 100%. Assuming it is still so.

I use the DAC with my SB3 and it works flawlessly. Plugging into the DAC using the same cable gives 'No Signal' in the DAC display.

Appreciate the effort. Thanks for sticking with me..

Mnyb
2014-05-25, 23:30
thanks Guys,

'Turning off' is simply turning off via iPeng. ie. half asleep mode. Power is/was on all the time.

Yes rebooted routers (x2) and also SBServer.

Attempted to play numerous files - my collection is 99% flac. Interestingly, at one point I was attempting to play a file on my troublesome Duet and it started playing on my SB3 ! At that point physically powered off my other SB players.

I didnt double-check the volume however it was set to 100%. Assuming it is still so.

I use the DAC with my SB3 and it works flawlessly. Plugging into the DAC using the same cable gives 'No Signal' in the DAC display.

Appreciate the effort. Thanks for sticking with me..

The optical may be broken ,that's why I sugested the other outputs . Is there any red ligth out of the optical ?

davemal
2014-05-26, 04:05
I have had another 'calmer' look at this again.

1. SB and controller version is 7.8.0. Was not able to confirm the receiver

2. Did the power on while holding the button test. The LED cycles through Red,Green,Blue & White. No audio. Get a slight hum via analogue when the volume is raised. Optical is silent. Known working DAC reports 'No signal' via optical.

3. No Red light out of optical port. Appears to be nothing inside the case when viewing. Can see whatever colour light the front LED is.

4. In iPeng, it appears as an unconnected player, blue LED and I am not able to connect it to either SB or mysb.com. Same result when attempting with the controller. If I hold the front button until it flashes red (not a full fact reset) it will connect to SB.( didnt try mysb.com). It will play tunes according to the controller(s) but again, no audio output.

5. I did also notice that it dropped off the network. Did not test enough to confirm what happened here. Only did it the once and I recall it doing it yesterday but did not make notes.

So it appears that there is def an audio out issue and possibly something with the network as well.

Any suggestions ?

Mnyb
2014-05-26, 04:56
No ligth in the optical port thats not good :(

You are aware that the volume works both digital and analog out at the same time ? ( just ask stupid Q's to be sure )

davemal
2014-05-26, 16:53
Yes, I understood that it worked as per my SB3 with both analogue and optical working simultaneously.

It appears that either;

- there is a faulty component. Not sure of the value/feasibility of repair.
- there are some bad internal connections.

Would it be feasible to open up the case, reseat and touch up the soldering around the output stage ?

Are there any guides on opening up the box ? ID of internals ?

If I am missing any other options please let me know.

thanks for all your help

david

w3wilkes
2014-05-26, 18:03
This link should at least get you inside the case to look around.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Squeezebox-Duet-Aerial-Upgrade/

davemal
2014-07-17, 18:45
As an update, I finally got the courage to pull it apart the other night. There was very little that I could run the soldering iron over in case of any dry joints so I didnt bother. I got the magnifying glass out and identified as much as was obvious and then pushed anything any everything that had any chance of giving a poor connection, even the wireless module that I wasn't using..

Not expecting much I powered it on with the button pressed to do the hardware test and with large smiles I heard the test tones !!! A quick reset of the receiver config & I was back in business. Its been running for ~12 hrs with no issue.

Fingers crossed it keeps going.

Might be useful if someone else encounters something similar.

cheers

w3wilkes
2014-07-18, 11:30
Glad it's now working! Sounds like your jiggling inside the unit must have set some connection right. Hopefully it sticks.