PDA

View Full Version : Radio: caught in network hell

ModelCitizen
2014-05-18, 00:08
Hello.

I've changed my wireless router and now can't configure my radio to connect. The new wireless network has the same name as the old one but is now password protected. The radio does not give me a chance to enter the password, it just tries to connect for ages and then gives up. How can I force it to request a password? Unlike the Boom, which enabled me to set up networking from scratch the radio doesn't appear to allow this. Help!

A related but subsidiary question: both my radios list a large number of redundant wireless networks. I'd like to clear this list. There seems no way to do it from the interface. Is there another way to do it?

Thanks for any help.

Next job: UDAP script and the receiver. Oh joy.

Mnyb
2014-05-18, 00:13
Hello.

I've changed my wireless router and now can't configure my radio to connect. The new wireless network has the same name as the old one but is now password protected. The radio does not give me a chance to enter the password, it just tries to connect for ages and then gives up. How can I force it to request a password? Unlike the Boom, which enabled me to set up networking from scratch the radio doesn't appear to allow this. Help!

A related but subsidiary question: both my radios list a large number of redundant wireless networks. I'd like to clear this list. There seems no way to do it from the interface. Is there another way to do it?

Thanks for any help.

factory reset ?

ModelCitizen
2014-05-18, 00:13
Nooooo! Anything but that. There must be another way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mherger
2014-05-18, 00:22
SSH into the box, look around /etc/ to find where the network configuration is stored (don't remember the file right now), delete it. Restart.

Michael

> Am 18.05.2014 um 09:13 schrieb ModelCitizen <ModelCitizen.6eavtb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
>
>
> Nooooo! Anything but that. There must be another way.
>
> Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
>
>
>
> Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
> Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ModelCitizen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=446
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=101567
>
>

Mnyb
2014-05-18, 00:36
SSH into the box, look around /etc/ to find where the network configuration is stored (don't remember the file right now), delete it. Restart.

Michael

> Am 18.05.2014 um 09:13 schrieb ModelCitizen <ModelCitizen.6eavtb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
>
>
> Nooooo! Anything but that. There must be another way.
>
> Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
>
>
>
> Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
> Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ModelCitizen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=446
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=101567
>
>

that works but then you got to have network already :) Boot up the old router edit the apropriate file and then boot up new router and reboot radio ?

You could also possibly establish ehternet conectivity and then do as described .

I'm not at at home sorry to not provide notes on what files to edit , been there done that .

Glaring omisson done in squeezeplay network setup routine .

1. You cant tell it to "forget a network"
2. You cant choose static setup when a dhcp is present ( like just any iPhone can for example ) .

But it will be this way now :) afiak since Ben left there is no developer for this part of the project ?

ModelCitizen
2014-05-18, 01:04
Cheers Michael and Mnyb.

Old router is dead so not an option to connect it that way I'm afraid.

I'll wire both radios and the receiver to my router and delve around in the dark and dangerous world of Unix.

Thanks.

The Boom networking stuff is much better designed. I'm perplexed as to how the touch managed the change with no problem. I thought the networking section was pretty much the same as the radios.

ModelCitizen
2014-05-18, 03:45
I deleted the file that held all the old info about the of wireless networks. It was called wpa_supplicant.conf

In one way it worked. The radios do not continue to list all the redundant wireless networks they have been connected to.
In another way it hasn't. The radios cannot detect my wireless network (even if I disable all security and add network settings manually).

It's a bog standard 11G network with SSID HalfYard and served by a Netgear DGND3300vs2.

I've tried updating the firmware to see if that jogged it, but no. So had to factory reset.

I was also wrong about the touch. It had the same problem, but this time I wrestled with the Nix editor Vi and deleted the contents of the wpa_supplicant.conf file, but not the file itself. This worked and I didn't have to factory reset the touch.

This has brought back all the nightmares with this product range. My radios now look and work like **it and I'll have to spend hours setting them back up again.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate Logitech?

:-(

05mattjax
2014-05-20, 14:45
Hello.

Thanks for any help.

Was the reason why you couldn't connect to the new router because it had the same network name and the radio linked this name to your old password? If so you could've just changed the network name in the router's settings!

ModelCitizen
2014-05-20, 14:56
Was the reason why you couldn't connect to the new router because it had the same network name and the radio linked this name to your old password? If so you could've just changed the network name in the router's settings!

Oh, if it had only been that simple. My previous network was unsecured, no password (as I ran repeaters and could not get them to work with encryption)). I don't need the repeaters now and did not want to fiddle about with mac addresses any longer. I did not want to choose yet another network name and also required to decrease the list of networks held by my squeezeboxes (not increase it still further!).

Mnyb
2014-05-20, 16:35
Oh, if it had only been that simple. My previous network was unsecured, no password (as I ran repeaters and could not get them to work with encryption)). I don't need the repeaters now and did not want to fiddle about with mac addresses any longer.

Why delete file , you could just add the correct password ? It's usually plain readable in one of those files .

ModelCitizen
2014-05-20, 23:55
Because Michael suggested it (see above). And also because I wanted to get rid of the unweildy list of networks that had built up over the years. Also not being conversant with Unix technologies I did not consider editing the file at that point.
The result was not expected.

lrossouw
2014-05-21, 00:39
Remove the password from the new router, fix the radio and then reapply password?

mark wollschlager
2014-05-21, 06:21
Remove the password from the new router, fix the radio and then reapply password?

Then none of her configured devices could connect?
If the SSID is hidden, this may be a problem with these devices.

ModelCitizen
2014-05-21, 08:25
I am grateful for the replies bit it is fixed now.

The SSID is not hidden. The main problem with the fix I attempted was that I did not expect deleting the file to result in the devices not being able to see any networks. If I new what I knew now I would have opened the file in Vi and edited out all the redundant networks and added the password to mine. At the time I thought editing with Vi was too scary to attempt. I was wrong it wasn't.