PDA

View Full Version : Gacedigital good alternative?

bobm
2014-05-12, 00:36
Are these guys a good alternative to squeezebox? I am a simple user of SB, generally play my own music and access Pandora using my touch and Radios. Looks like these guys have similar hardware with their Radio and Tuner?

http://www.gracedigital.com/internet-radio

-Bob

castalla
2014-05-12, 01:32
Are these guys a good alternative to squeezebox? I am a simple user of SB, generally play my own music and access Pandora using my touch and Radios. Looks like these guys have similar hardware with their Radio and Tuner?

http://www.gracedigital.com/internet-radio

-Bob

Uses the Reciva system - if that goes down then you are stuffed!

jimbobvfr400
2014-05-12, 02:33

True, but there's an awful lot of hardware and apps out there using Reciva so personally I don't feel that's too likely IMO.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

Ikabob
2014-05-12, 05:38
IMHO, there can be nothing to compare to the Squeezebox system. The sound quality, the diverse functionality, the community, the aesthetics of the devices, the third party capabilities....and so much more.
I think it's very unfortunate that LOGITECH has chosen to not continue the Squeezebox line. I'm glad they have continued to support mysqueezebox.com .

bklaas
2014-05-12, 08:30
FWIW, I've tested Grace and Squeezebox (and a few others) side-by-side, and while they've done an awfully good job copying the physical look of the Radio, the sound quality is nowhere near what Squeezebox Radio has in that form factor. Squeezebox and Sonos are a giant step up in audio quality from all of the other players in this market.

The UI that powers Grace is usable but not nearly as nicely thought out. Reciva is the uPnP of streaming architectures too, and I don't mean that as a compliment. I don't think the Grace supports multi-room sync either.

What I think is compelling about Grace is their price point of about $100, but you can buy a getting-rid-of-remaining-stock UE Smart Radio (which you can convert to a Squeezebox Radio through a firmware upgrade) for the same price. Since the local server is public domain, that device can run until it dies, which oddly enough gives it a slightly better long-term outlook than the Reciva-based Grace.

cheers,
#!/ben

erland
2014-05-12, 10:53

If the software isn't maintained/supported it doesn't matter if it's installed as firmware on the device, on a local computer or on a cloud server, either way your system isn't going to work. It's much easier to maintain the software in one place (the cloud) instead of maintaining custom firmware for all possible hardware revisions out there. Just look at Logitech, they have stopped updating the firmware for older Squeezebox models but they can still ensure compatibility with latest changes on the online services by updating mysqueezebox.com.

I'm fairly sure that one of the biggest reasons why my 8 years old Squeezebox Classic still works with a lot of online services is the fact that it's based on a slim design with all online service integration logic on the server side.

DrewSB
2014-05-12, 11:23
What I think is compelling about Grace is their price point of about $100, but you can buy a getting-rid-of-remaining-stock UE Smart Radio (which you can convert to a Squeezebox Radio through a firmware upgrade) for the same price.

It seems like old stock of the radios is drying up. I recently shopped for one and they are going for $150+

bklaas
2014-05-12, 11:43
It seems like old stock of the radios is drying up. I recently shopped for one and they are going for $150+

Looks like you're right. They were $100 just a few weeks ago somewhere, now $150 is about the best I see anywhere. Original Squeezebox branded Radios are all > $200 (which is a little silly, because the hardware is the same and you don't get a battery).

cheers,
#!/ben

Dogberry2
2014-05-13, 08:48
Radios are going for wildly different prices on eBay. Some crazies are setting "buy it now" prices at $400 (!!!!), but a lot of them are selling at auction in the general range around $100 - $130. If you're patient and watch the sales for awhile, you can still get one for under $100, though of course you do have to read the listing carefully to make sure you're getting one that is fully functional, and not WiFi crippled or something. I also picked up a spare Boom for one of the guest rooms recently for $125, although those often go for over $200 (and again some people seem to think they can get $500 or more). A little patience can get you some reasonable prices though.

ply3908
2014-05-13, 10:07
I just got a new sealed one for $100 from Craigslist last month.