PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate tracks - how to cope with these?

Pascal Hibon
2014-05-08, 11:30
Like a lot people, I have a ton of duplicate tracks in my library. I’m not talking about different versions of a particular track but really duplicate versions of a track. This is a phenomenon that is greatly due to compilation albums. I’m looking for a way to get rid of duplicate tracks without compromising the integrity of the albums. One way of accomplishing this would be to keep one copy of a particular track and then use some sort of “shortcut” from the different albums to that track. But then LMS is not picking up those “shortcuts”. And even if it did there would be an issue with the album tag who would refer to one album and not necessary the album of the originating shortcut.
I was wondering if duplicate tracks are bothering anyone else. And how do you cope with this issue or don’t you care about it and just keep the duplicates?

w3wilkes
2014-05-08, 12:02
I don't care about the dups. Not only is there the Album title issue you mention, but also the track #. So even though it's the same song occurring multiple times in my library, I don't actually consider them dups.

DJanGo
2014-05-08, 12:29
or don’t you care about it and just keep the duplicates?

yupp i dont care about them i even keep the original (vinylripp) Album when i got a CD or both if i got a remastered Version or the A side from a maxi single - when its just a "radio" or Album Version from a Album that i got and only the "instrumental"/ extended Version is a "special".

Cause there is no "futurecompatible" Way to solve that. And Hey a 500 GB Drive least for much dubs:cool:

Dogberry2
2014-05-09, 11:10
I don't worry about them either. In each album where the track appears, it's a unique entity, and belongs there. The only time I bother getting rid of "dupes" is when I have an MP3 track I acquired from somewhere, sometime in the past, and I then purchase the CD of the album containing that track. In those cases, I delete the old MP3 and stick with the (FLAC) copy from the album. Occasionally this means tidying up a playlist or two, but it's a sufficiently unfrequent occurrence that it isn't any real effort to handle.