PDA

View Full Version : Differences between LMS, squeezebox etc

southafricanrob
2014-05-07, 13:51
Hi,
Apart from running on some different platforms, what is the fundamental difference between Logitech Media Server, Squeezebox and Squeeze Center?
Reason I ask is I am thinking of getting a NAS and running one of the above on it, using 2 raspberry pi's as players and not sure exactly what will run on what NAS ( ie WD mycloud supports squeeze center but not sure if that has limitations over full LMS etc?)
Also would a fairly entry level NAS offer sufficient performance to stream dual streams to to raspberry pis?
Thanks,

castalla
2014-05-07, 14:03
Hi,
Apart from running on some different platforms, what is the fundamental difference between Logitech Media Server, Squeezebox and Squeeze Center?
Reason I ask is I am thinking of getting a NAS and running one of the above on it, using 2 raspberry pi's as players and not sure exactly what will run on what NAS ( ie WD mycloud supports squeeze center but not sure if that has limitations over full LMS etc?)
Also would a fairly entry level NAS offer sufficient performance to stream dual streams to to raspberry pis?
Thanks,

LMS is the current squeezecenter, etc. You'd be crazy not to use anything else ... AFAIK most NAS versions are severely underpowered. A better solution would be to use one of the Pi's to run LMS as well as being a player and use the NAS as a storage device only. Depends a lot on what you want to stream ...

southafricanrob
2014-05-07, 14:11
Thanks,
Interesting, I thought a NAS would give better performance than a raspberry pi. I will mainly stream spotify through triodes plugin and play some local files, sometimes both at same time... Will the raspberry pi be powerful enough to do this? Was wanting to get some sort of NAS for backup and remote access purposes which is when I thought perhaps use as LMS server as well...

castalla
2014-05-07, 14:23
Not sure about the Pi - the alternative which is currently favoured is the Udroid (costs more!). the other advantage over a NAS only is that you are not dependent on the NAS proprietary software being updated. I'd try the 2 Pis out before shelling out for a new NAS!

The current LMS is 7.8 - has many improvements over earlier versions, and specifically frees LMS from dependency on Logitech's mysqueezebox.com, if and or when Logitech shuts it down.

erland
2014-05-08, 09:03

As mentioned, it's the same product, they have just changed the name of it a few times:
- SlimServer (version 6.5 and earlier)
- SqueezeCenter (version 7.0 - 7.3)
- Squeezebox Server (version 7.4 - 7.6)
- Logitech Media Server (version 7.7 and later)

An overview of the release notes can be found on the wiki, at least from version 7.2: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes

Interesting, I thought a NAS would give better performance than a raspberry pi. I will mainly stream spotify through triodes plugin and play some local files, sometimes both at same time... Will the raspberry pi be powerful enough to do this? Was wanting to get some sort of NAS for backup and remote access purposes which is when I thought perhaps use as LMS server as well...

It depends on the NAS, but you would likely need an advanced professional NAS to get similar performance as a Raspberry Pi.
In my opinion, the only reason to run LMS on a NAS is if you have some argument why you can't have two boxes. If you decide to go with a NAS make sure to get one with at least 512 MB memory, preferably 1GB or more.

Raspberry Pi is significantly faster than the built-in server on the Squeezebox Touch but it's significantly slower than running LMS on an old computer.
A NAS can be faster or slower than a Raspberry Pi, it all depends on your library size and NAS product.

My advice would be:
- If you don't need an advance NAS for storage purposes: Get a cheap NAS and run LMS on a Raspberry Pi or old computer.
- If you need an advance NAS for storage purposes: Try running LMS on the NAS and if you feel it's too slow get a Raspberry Pi or an old computer to run LMS on.

satmarshall
2014-05-17, 08:05
OP mentioned a WD mycloud.... I currently use LMS on a WD MyBook Live NAS and it streams just fine to multiple devices; simultaneous flac or radio streams. I have 1 touch, and 2 duets in my system. My only issue right now is it doesn't run the Triode Spotify plugin (but does run the logitech version). My library isn't huge though (~12,000 tracks).

JohnB
2014-05-17, 11:03
Another factor to take into account is whether you want the LMS to do any transcoding. Most NAS boxes just don't have the power to do that satisfactorily.

05mattjax
2014-05-20, 14:50
Another factor to take into account is whether you want the LMS to do any transcoding. Most NAS boxes just don't have the power to do that satisfactorily.

I have absolutely no issues with transcoding on my readynas ultra2 although the duo I had before was only good for native playback.