PDA

View Full Version : Now LastFM is proper dead, Spotify or Napster?

yeomanspc
2014-05-04, 15:13
As title says, I am considering above services. Pros or cons anybody? I have at least one of every model of player ever produced from SLIMP3 through to touch and radio still in use, and seldom use MSB.com. Do either of the services have any specific current or longevity issues on Squeezeboxes. Will both work on all devices?I saw a Napster issue a while back but this seems fixed? I am UK based. Thanks for any advice.

garym
2014-05-04, 18:41
As title says, I am considering above services. Pros or cons anybody? I have at least one of every model of player ever produced from SLIMP3 through to touch and radio still in use, and seldom use MSB.com. Do either of the services have any specific current or longevity issues on Squeezeboxes. Will both work on all devices?I saw a Napster issue a while back but this seems fixed? I am UK based. Thanks for any advice.

Spotify (with triodes 3rd party plugin) is the only premium service that will work without mysb.com. You do have to use LMS however.

pippin
2014-05-05, 06:27
In the UK you can also use Deezer. It has better sound quality than Rhapsody/Napster, comparable to Spotify and it works on all SBs even without LMS running.
Quite decent catalog, too.

nathan_h
2014-05-07, 07:13
Spotify (with triodes 3rd party plugin) is the only premium service that will work without mysb.com. You do have to use LMS however.

And 'work' is a relative term. Sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't. More than once, after stopping and restarting the services (first the plug in, then the LMS) in order to get it to work with my premium account, I've given up and either used Pandora (which always works) or my own library.

garym
2014-05-07, 07:19
And 'work' is a relative term. Sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't. More than once, after stopping and restarting the services (first the plug in, then the LMS) in order to get it to work with my premium account, I've given up and either used Pandora (which always works) or my own library.

Never had a single issue with spotify, but I'm sure some do, just as some have troubles with LMS in general, which I luckily don't either. But by 'work' I'm only referring to the "theoretical" ability to connect to a service without mysb.com. For example, pandora would not work at all in squeezeboxes if mysb.com was shut down. It requires the handshake made by mysb.com.

nathan_h
2014-05-07, 07:33
Never had a single issue with spotify, but I'm sure some do, just as some have troubles with LMS in general, which I luckily don't either. But by 'work' I'm only referring to the "theoretical" ability to connect to a service without mysb.com. For example, pandora would not work at all in squeezeboxes if mysb.com was shut down. It requires the handshake made by mysb.com.

Yes, that makes me nervous about Pandora. The wife would kill me -- I mean, all the gear would need to get replaced with Sonos! -- were that to happen.

I may have been a little harsh. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew it wasn't a clear solution for all setups. Glad to hear that yours is rock solid. Sure as heck wish mine was. I fall more into the bucket of the 500+ page thread here of troubleshooting, half the time, so far, but I am beginning to learn more tricks -- what order to restart things in, etc.

Julf
2014-05-07, 08:14
Never had a single issue with spotify, but I'm sure some do, just as some have troubles with LMS in general, which I luckily don't either.

Likewise, both spotify and LMS just work for me without problems. Never used mysb.com.

yeomanspc
2014-05-08, 08:09
Thanks for the replies people. I think I'll giver Deezer and Spotify a go for 3 months and see where we get to on usability. Will post back if anything significant that I think might be of interest.