PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the Spotify app to initiate playback to my server/player?

floepie
2014-05-03, 09:09
My current setup is simply running the server and the software-based player Squeezeplayer on the same PC with output to stereo. As a potential Spotify Premium abonnee, I'm curious if I could use the Spotify app directly (iOS or Android) as a remote control to browse music, playlists, and initiate playback. Basically, I'm wondering if I could use this entirely software based squeeze system as a Spotify Connect system.

Or, do I need to use one of the Squeezebox remote control apps as the interface for all Spotify related controls.

jimbobvfr400
2014-05-03, 11:02
If you see you use the proper Spotify program on your PC you can use several different spotify remote apps to control it on your phone (android at least, I don't know about iOS)

For example https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jbl.android.spotimote

Or you could use any SB control app to control SqueezePlayer.

Personally I like using SqueezePlayer on my PC for local playback because it cooperates very nicely with the rest of my SBs and LMS. However if you're only using Spotify you might be better off with the official app as it offers extra features not available on either the official or 3rd party spotify implementations on LMS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pippin
2014-05-03, 12:14
The Squeezebox is not a Spotify Connect system, you'd have to use one of the Squeezebox control Apps to control Spotify on the Squeezebox.
And the functionality is limited to what Spotify's APIs offer which is less than what especially the desktop Apps. The difference to Spotify's smartphone Apps is less significant and especially the 3rd party Spotify App has some functionality of it's own (building a library)

floepie
2014-05-03, 14:21
If you see you use the proper Spotify program on your PC you can use several different spotify remote apps to control it on your phone (android at least, I don't know about iOS)

For example https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jbl.android.spotimote

Or you could use any SB control app to control SqueezePlayer.

Well now, that would be the simplest approach now wouldn't it, something admittedly I overlooked. I think the only thing I'd be missing out on I suppose would be the vast offering of internet streams in the LMS library.

floepie
2014-05-03, 14:30
And the functionality is limited to what Spotify's APIs offer which is less than what especially the desktop Apps. The difference to Spotify's smartphone Apps is less significant and especially the 3rd party Spotify App has some functionality of it's own (building a library)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely sure I follow. Are you saying that the Spotify PC application itself offers more features than what the APIs offered by SpotifyConnect do, which in turn offers more features than you could find with LMS remote control apps?

It seems that short of running the Spotify application on the PC and controlling it with Spotimote, the best way to control Spotify would be to airplay it if using iOS, or using Chromecast on Android (when it arrives, if ever.) Actually the latter would be the very best, as you would have the benefits of the full blown mobile app, yet you wouldn't need to tether the mobile device with the actual player.

pippin
2014-05-03, 14:47
Spotify Connect isn't an API. It's a piece of Spotify-software running on a dedicated chipset.
It works like AirPlay or ChromeCast in that it just takes the URL as sent from the Spotify App and plays it.

Spotify has a set of (older) APIs plus their semi-public "libspotify" library you can use to integrate with it. Both of these are what essentially all pre-Spotify Connect Spotify integrations like the one for the Squeezebox or Sonos are using.

These APIs don't support a lot of the functionality Spotify is offering through their own Apps, especially for the desktop client which has an App API of it's own (the prolific use of the term "App" these days makes talking about things related to software increasingly annoying).

Logitech's implementation is primarily limited by Spotify's UI guidelines (it's pretty much exactly what Spotify expected an "official" implementation to do until 9 month or so ago).
The 3rd party plugin offers some more fucntionality but you can't use things like Spotify radio or, say, playing Last.fm "loved" tracks.

You are right about AirPlay but WRT Chromecast: I don't think anything other than Spotify Connect will allow you to not tether the device. The reason is that there's a DRM concept integrated into the streaming and only Spotify Connect supports that natively.

floepie
2014-05-05, 13:42
You are right about AirPlay but WRT Chromecast: I don't think anything other than Spotify Connect will allow you to not tether the device. The reason is that there's a DRM concept integrated into the streaming and only Spotify Connect supports that natively.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm not giving up hope for the Chromecast. Rumor has it that they're working on an update. After all, if Netflix can do it, I don't see a reason Spotify can't. I'm just surprised that you can't use the Android or iOS Spotify apps as a sender or remote control for the PC or Mac application.

nathan_h
2014-05-07, 07:09
Thanks for the explanation! I'm not giving up hope for the Chromecast. Rumor has it that they're working on an update. After all, if Netflix can do it, I don't see a reason Spotify can't.

It's not that they can't do it, it's just that Spotify would rather you buy a Spotify Connect piece of hardware, where they collect a licensing fee, rather than a Chromecast stick, where they don't.

floepie
2014-05-08, 08:04
For those hoping Spotify will some day support Chromecast, there is a temp solution called Spoticast in the Play store. It's very finnicky right now, but when it works, it works quite well. The Chromecast streams directly from the internet as expected, but the device needs to be tethered so that the CC knows which title to play next. I don't think it works by simply selecting a playlist and then becomes independent from the mobile device.