PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet appears disconnected

daverich4
2014-04-21, 07:11
Searching the forum shows lots of hits for this error message but none of the suggested solutions that I've been able to find solve my problem.

I used my Transporter with a wired connection for 4 or 5 years but about 4 months ago I moved it and was using it with a wireless connection. I'm trying to get it to work with a wired connection again but am getting the error message "Ethernet appears disconnected". The first thing I did to check out the problem was plug my Squeezebox Touch in with the same cable and it functions properly. After initially using the left arrow button to get back to the Transporter Setup menu I tried a Factory Reset and a Xlinx Reset. I've reset the router several times as well as restarting my computer. I use DHCP instead of static addresses and have done so for 7 or 8 years without problems. My server is version 7.7.3 on a Mac running OS10.7.5 and the Transporter firmware is 87. Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks.

daverich4
2014-04-23, 02:50
This problem has been resolved by others before. No one has a suggestion?

garym
2014-04-23, 05:11
My only suggestions are the ones you've tried (xlinx reset or factory reset). You note that you connect a TOUCH to the same ethernet cable and it works (thus testing your cable and that particular path back the the router. To be clear on that, is the TOUCH actually connected via ethernet when you plug it in (vs wifi). You probably know that simply plugging in an ethernet cable does not switch the SB player over to wired automatically. So just questioning that test with the TOUCH to rule out that the TOUCH is connecting via WIFI and not ethernet (and thus the cable and or path may be bad after all).

Also, DHCP vs static shouldn't matter, and you're not even getting to the point in the setup where this would manner in any case.

JohnSwenson
2014-04-23, 12:30
Since you have tried the setup as you have had it before and it doesn't work, I think you need to try doing something different than what it was before.

What I would do is assign a static IP address (outside of the DHCP pool of course) and ping the TP from a computer plugged in to the same switch. So you have computer -> switch -> TP. The TP should be on the same subnet as the computer. If the TP does not respond to a ping in this configuration, something is really wrong. At this point try swapping out all the variables, try different cables, different ports on the switch, even a different switch if you have one. If none of THAT works, then assign a static address to the computer and try connecting direct to the TP without a switch, just one cable: computer -> TP. Note that this is not trying to connect to LMS, just trying to get a ping response from the TP

If THAT doesn't work you have something wrong with the TP. Since it seems like you have done all the usual software resets at this point. It it still won't talk to anything else I'm out of ideas.

John S.

daverich4
2014-04-28, 04:45
My only suggestions are the ones you've tried (xlinx reset or factory reset). You note that you connect a TOUCH to the same ethernet cable and it works (thus testing your cable and that particular path back the the router. To be clear on that, is the TOUCH actually connected via ethernet when you plug it in (vs wifi). You probably know that simply plugging in an ethernet cable does not switch the SB player over to wired automatically. So just questioning that test with the TOUCH to rule out that the TOUCH is connecting via WIFI and not ethernet (and thus the cable and or path may be bad after all).

You were right, the TOUCH was connecting via WiFi. Because it's normally connected via Ethernet I didn't check to see if that was the case in this instance. It was a new Ethernet outlet and after the electrician who put it in came back and redid the router end connection everything works as expected. Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I probably never would have double checked the Touch.

garym
2014-04-28, 10:24
You were right, the TOUCH was connecting via WiFi. Because it's normally connected via Ethernet I didn't check to see if that was the case in this instance. It was a new Ethernet outlet and after the electrician who put it in came back and redid the router end connection everything works as expected. Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I probably never would have double checked the Touch.

perfect. sometimes it really is the simple stuff!

Stratmangler
2014-04-28, 12:40
It was a new Ethernet outlet and after the electrician who put it in came back and redid the router end connection everything works as expected

Electricians are notoriously poor at terminating and testing ethernet cables.
Anything over three wires and they just go to pieces.

Glad to hear your player is working properly now :)