PDA

View Full Version : Setting up LMS Win 8 netbook server to switch on automatically ?

swayzak
2014-04-20, 00:40
Hi

I have always turned my LMS laptop manually, but it has occurred to me that maybe I can utilise sleep/wakeup function of Windows to make things a bit more sophisticated than this.

At the moment I have set up Windows power options (and LMS server) to not enter sleep mode to avoid interruption of music.

Ideally it would wakeup early morning and go back to sleep either after an hour (workday) or later in the evening at bedtime (weekends).

Any advice ?

Thanks

philly4
2014-04-20, 04:17
Hi

Ideally it would wakeup early morning and go back to sleep either after an hour (workday) or later in the evening at bedtime (weekends).

Any advice ?

Thanks

Look at the Server power control plugin. It will do exactly what you are interested in.

swayzak
2014-04-20, 04:30
Thanks

So this would be via plugin rather than configuring Windows ?

I can't see a Power server plugin, just PowerCenter and PowerSave neither of which appears to control win 8 sleep/wakeup...

kidstypike
2014-04-20, 07:48
Thanks

So this would be via plugin rather than configuring Windows ?

I can't see a Power server plugin, just PowerCenter and PowerSave neither of which appears to control win 8 sleep/wakeup...

You need to enter this in the Extension Downloader box on the plugins page: http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/svn/beta.xml

More info here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?48521-Announce-Beta-version-of-SvrPowerControl

Apesbrain
2014-04-20, 09:10
Look at the Server power control plugin. It will do exactly what you are interested in.
Exactly:
- PowerSave plugin to turn off each player after a period of inactivity
- ServerPowerControl to sleep your server after a period of all players being off.

You can also use WakeupOnStandBy (http://www.dennisbabkin.com/wosb/) to awaken your server in the middle of the night so LMS can perform a scheduled rescan. Just tell WOSB to wake up your server at 4AM and keep it awake for 15 minutes, then set LMS to do a "new/changed" rescan at 4:02AM.

swayzak
2014-04-23, 00:22
This looks very promising - already shutdown the server netbook from my mobile phone. Cool !

The settings page looks quite intimidating though.

I think to begin with I would just like to be able to Sleep/Hibernate/Shutdown the server netbook from within SqueezeCommander. Any tips as to how to do this e.g. plugin settings, Windows Power settings ?

I guess Hibernate is the least energy-consuming state - can I send netbook to Hibernate at bedtime, then reboot in the morning from my phone ? Or would I have to use Sleep for this ?

aubuti
2014-04-24, 08:00
Normally you can wake the server via Wake-on-LAN from any of the states (suspend, hibernate, shutdown). Note, however, that usually the server (ie, the computer receiving the WOL packet) has to be connected by ethernet cable. On most computers the wifi radio is powered down when entering suspend/hibernate/shutdown, so it won't be able to receive the WOL packet over wifi. In contrast, the ethernet port requires a lot less juice to stay active, and can wake up the computer when it gets the WOL packet.

There are some computers/wifi cards that support Wake-on-Wireless LAN (WoWLAN). If your laptop is one of those then you can do all of the above via wifi.

Finally, note that it is only the server computer being awakened that needs to be wired for standard WOL. The WOL magic packet may be sent by any device, wired or wifi, because it contacts the server via the router.

swayzak
2014-04-26, 10:04
Thanks, that's a very helpful explanation.