PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox on Raspberry PI for dummies

Joda
2014-04-17, 07:11
Looking for a good 3:rd party HW??

Check out GaddyGaddy.com There you find a bundled service for setting up squeezebox in a Raspberry Pi. The nice thing is that you need need not to know anything at all about how Raspberry Pi works under the hood.
The Raspberry Pi has both HDMI and 3,5 mm phono plug to connect to your audio equipment and works both with cable ethernet and wifi, though the setup with cable is most straight forward and a good first step.

By registrating your Raspberry at GaddyGaddy it becomes what they call Gaddy and you get a webbased command panel, from which you can install both Squeezebox server and player on your Raspberry Pi without one Linux command.

I myself discovered GaddyGaddy a while ago and have installed a Squeezebox server and a player on one Raspberry Pi and a player on another. GaddyGaddy offers a webbased interface to control the music, but I have installed the android Squeezebox controller by Lars Kamp on my phone, which works perfect as a remote control. I had an old android phone, on which I installed the SqueezePlayer from Stefan Hansel, and that player connects over wifi to my Raspberry Pi based Squeezebox server. Both apps are available on Google play, and are pretty cheap.

I love the synchronized mode and mostly listen to webradio or Spotify, but at GaddyGaddy they also offer a NAS service for Raspberry Pi, in which I store my own music, on an old USB disc.

GaddyGaddy are apperantly looking for beta users, so the service is for free. Very convenient.

Check it out, I myself could not think af a better low cost, low power Sqeueezebox HW.

/Jonny

bencat
2014-04-21, 08:40
Just a warning about the above advice on this site .While the Gaddy software does work after a fairly lengthy and time consuming install the Squeezebox App does not. it consistently fails to load and displays a long message which indicates why it has failed and then tries to load a fix for what it says is a known failure. This then also fails and you the user are left high and dry.

You do get a brief e-mail message from the site telling you what you already know that the App has failed and that they are looking in to it and will get back to you. So in the mean time your Raspberry Pi is US as they have loaded their software on to it and this can only function or be accessed via their site. The idea looks good the promise is that they can turn your R PI into a number of things that you might well want like a Squeezebox server but they seem to be just starting and have not yet got things working or even downloading correctly . Which does make me wonder is the original poster like me a genuine user who wants to let other know about a site that will make the setting of using a raspberry Pi in to an LMS Server an easy and almost idiot proof process ? He seems to be saying his download and App work well does it ? Did you not have the same problem I did ? (by the way for completeness sake I deleted and did a complete reinstall renaming my Gaddy three times each time (and downloading the New Gaddy config file each time) and got the same fail at the same point every time.

I would like to give the OP the benefit of the doubut but I suspect he is one of those involved in the site trying to get additional users , nothing wrong with that just be honest and say who you are what your connection is and the current state of your software. If you are just starting and testing and using the first users as trials then let us know and tell us we may have problems but that you will be on hand to fix them quickly . As it stands currently your site if free and if we know the truth then we can make our choice and accept the consequences .Just do not try and lie about it.

Apesbrain
2014-04-21, 09:04
Honestly, if a Squeezebox player is all you want from your RPi you won't find much easier than piCorePlayer:
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Joda
2014-04-21, 14:25
Hi Bencat,
You question my honesty. The truth is that I am what you could call a hang-around to the GaddyGaddy team. I am not a developer, but I discovered the site some months ago and became an early beta user. Thus I have tested many apps thoroughly, though my favorite is Squeezebox. I had some setup issues before I got the Spotify account set up correctly, but got help from the developers and now my setup works excellent.
I am running one raspberry as a server where I also have a player set up. On the other I am running a player and some other apps. I am controlling the music from my phone and I have two other old android phones connected over wifi running players. I experience some problems with the mobile phones when I run synchronized mode and the mobile phones are connected to a wifi repeater, but only then.

I also run airpi and that is even more plug ní play, though it does not support synchronized mode.

I wrote the post mainly because I think it Raspberry PI and squeezebox makes an excellent couple and I think more people should know that by using the GaddyGaddy service you need not to be a hacker.

But yes, currently I am becoming closer to the team. I want to apologize if I have fooled you. If you discover issues in your setup, I suggest you contact support@gaddygaddy.com. I did and the help I got really hooked me.

gaddy
2014-04-21, 15:14
Just a warning about the above advice on this site .While the Gaddy software does work after a fairly lengthy and time consuming install the Squeezebox App does not. it consistently fails to load and displays a long message which indicates why it has failed and then tries to load a fix for what it says is a known failure. This then also fails and you the user are left high and dry.

You do get a brief e-mail message from the site telling you what you already know that the App has failed and that they are looking in to it and will get back to you. So in the mean time your Raspberry Pi is US as they have loaded their software on to it and this can only function or be accessed via their site. The idea looks good the promise is that they can turn your R PI into a number of things that you might well want like a Squeezebox server but they seem to be just starting and have not yet got things working or even downloading correctly . Which does make me wonder is the original poster like me a genuine user who wants to let other know about a site that will make the setting of using a raspberry Pi in to an LMS Server an easy and almost idiot proof process ? He seems to be saying his download and App work well does it ? Did you not have the same problem I did ? (by the way for completeness sake I deleted and did a complete reinstall renaming my Gaddy three times each time (and downloading the New Gaddy config file each time) and got the same fail at the same point every time.

I would like to give the OP the benefit of the doubut but I suspect he is one of those involved in the site trying to get additional users , nothing wrong with that just be honest and say who you are what your connection is and the current state of your software. If you are just starting and testing and using the first users as trials then let us know and tell us we may have problems but that you will be on hand to fix them quickly . As it stands currently your site if free and if we know the truth then we can make our choice and accept the consequences .Just do not try and lie about it.

Hi bencat,

I got notified by Jonny that has been helping us to test our service about your problems.

First I am very happy that you have tested our service, but I am really sorry that you got into problems, we are still in a beta phase and have some bugs:(. We have been notified from our system about a couple of failing Squeezebox installations during the weekend and has been working to find the bug, we have found one issue that in some circumstances caused the Squeezebox server installation to fail and has fixed this now, bug so please feel free to restart your Raspberry Pi and it should be repaired automatically, you don't need to install the image again, just restart/start it.

Our goal is to provide a really easy to use service to be able to install applications on your Raspberry Pi, not only Squeezebox server but other applications as well as NAS, print servers, VPN, Minecraft server etc and also be able to run more than one application on a single Raspberry Pi. We also help with the installations and we get alerted when an installation fails for a user to be able to help the user as quick as possible.

Our goal is to provide a troublefree installation but also maintainece of a Raspberry Pi and the applications running on it.

We are very thankful to you that test it out and are really sorry that we have failed to deliver. We are also thankful to Jonny that has worked close to us to test it out.

Ulf at GaddyGaddy

bencat
2014-04-22, 09:32
Thank both for your replies and a suggestion for anyone placing a thread here be honest and tell everyone your connections up front it saves anyone putting two and two together and making five like I did . There is no need for you to say sorry that things are not working as you say the site is beta and testing so you will encounter problems .Mine has still not been cleared but I will continue to keep trying. Will now wipe the current Gaddy do a full reinstall and then try yo get the squeezeserver app working. Will let you know directly how I get on and also let people here know how it went. I have had a couple of e-mails of support from you so this is always useful for others to know there is help when you need it .

bencat
2014-04-22, 09:35
Apologies if I did not make myself clearer but I am trying to set up the Raspberry PI as a Squeezebox Server not a player. I have already tried a Squeezeplug set up which has not worked and I have not been able to get the help to fix it . This looked like an alternative and I am giving this a try to see how things go. Thanks anyway for your suggestion will keep it in mind if all this fails and I want to use the Pi as a player just to make sure it does get used.

Honestly, if a Squeezebox player is all you want from your RPi you won't find much easier than piCorePlayer:
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

castalla
2014-04-22, 09:38
Apologies if I did not make myself clearer but I am trying to set up the Raspberry PI as a Squeezebox Server not a player. I have already tried a Squeezeplug set up which has not worked and I have not been able to get the help to fix it . This looked like an alternative and I am giving this a try to see how things go. Thanks anyway for your suggestion will keep it in mind if all this fails and I want to use the Pi as a player just to make sure it does get used.

Explain how Squeezeplug didn't work for LMS setup?

bencat
2014-04-26, 07:22
Explain how Squeezeplug didn't work for LMS setup?

Hi Castalla I have put the details of the problems I have with Squeezeplug on the Squeezeplug thread and no one including the designer were able to identify why I was having the problem I did . In the end due to my lack of knowledge about both Networks and Linux I was not able to communicate enough information to get the help I needed and not having anyone I knew who could assist was left with something that for me at least just would not work properly (check the thread for details no need to repeat them here .

DJanGo
2014-04-26, 07:37
Hmmmmmmmmmm

A Raspberry is a learning Computer -> a out of the Box "dummies" Raspberry Paket is like ......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
And a User that never wrote before any kind of questions or answers that show us what cool stuff outside is aviable is something i would call SeoBullshit......
Even when another "new" User is answering asap and wanna tell us about that "cool stuff"

Hi Castalla I have put the details of the problems I have with Squeezeplug on the Squeezeplug thread and no one including the designer were able to identify why I was having the problem I did .
/snip
\snap
(check the thread for details no need to repeat them here .

hmm - may you repaet them, cause you didnt wrote (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100724-SqueezePlug-Version-7-available&p=774503&viewfull=1#post774503) anything thats useful to help without asking back...

If the Pi iws wired - can you see the leds are still blinking?
Can you ping it?
Whats connected to the pi
First of all - Change the Power Supply to one from a Apple >900mA

bencat
2014-04-26, 07:56
Here is a little up date about this which I hope will help anyone else that is interested in this site and what it does. Firstly the intial attraction for me is because I do not really understand or have any skills with regard to linux and programming .I am also not that inclined or interested to learn so this is all my problem.

What GaddyGaddy offers is a simple interface which once the downloading and set up is done just runs your LMS and lets you get on with your music. Squeezeplug offer much the same but with a little more need to get in to the details of set up . Squeezplug for me was in the end a frustrating experience in that it would not work and due to my own technical short comings I was not able to identify or communicate clearly enough the issues for anyone to help me fix it.

Tried this initial download of Gaddy and in truth had a few teething issues . The people that run the site were helpful and in a few instances they did all the work in the back ground and solved the problems. So what I am doing now is to set out my feelings (please note these are personal opinions only and have no more weight or veracity than anyone elses)

Gaddy is a newish site which is offering a number of ready made Apps that you can use to load to your Raspberry Pi including NAS set up ,Media server(LMS) or media Player. This idea behind it appears to be that those running it have lots of knowledge on both the Pi , Linus and now LMS and they will take the hard work out of it you load it connect your Pi up and then get on listening to your music .Gaddy will install and update the system as needed in the back ground .

Currently the Squeezebox App is aimed at those that use Spotify or Internet Radio for the various Squeezbox players . In its straight current download version it will not automatically identify any USB HD or Flash Drive connected to your Pi as your Library. I am told this is being worked on and will most likely be included in the future.

So as my main use of my LMS Network is to stream my music Library on a USB HD to all my players this is not a great first option now. However you can also download a NAS App from the same site on to your Pi and run this in conjunction with your LMS Server and you can aim the LMS to use this Library and then everything works fine.

From start up my advice is as follows .
1) Download the Gaddy Installer and config files for your individual Gaddy (you name the device) and load this on to your Pi SD Card (make sure this is a good quality min 8GB class 10 card) .Then put this in to your Pi make sure when you do this that your USB HD is connected to the Pi plug the Pi in and connect to the gaddygaddy.com site and the Gaddy will initialise. This takes a while 9min 15 mins) once this is done the icon of your Gaddy turns Blue and that part is completed.

2) Once the above is fully completed then go the install Apps drop down and install the NAS App again follow the instructions and check that you can access the Drive via the online address as shown in the installation instructions (in my case \\SQUEEZEPLUG\share) .Once this is working and the file share is created on the drive I would advise you to remove the HD and plug it in to a PC or Lap Top then move all your media files that you want to access in to the share file (this is the file you will direct LMS to look at)

3) Once this is complete then go back to the Gaddy site and download the Squeezeboxserver App again follow the instructions. Be warned that this can sometimes fail and state there is a problem. In may case the site owners contacted me and made a repair in the back ground I turned the Pi off then reconnected to the site and restarted the installation of Squeezeboxserver App and things were fixed. I think in many cases the download will generate its own repair and most will just need to give it time to load up and work.

Once the Squeezebox Icon , the Nas icon and the Gaddy icon are all showing as Blue then everything is up and working . Use the LMS interfacr icon and the usual LMS control panel shows up . You need to go to settings and connect the Library to the NAS Share file which will show up under Network in browse then let the LMS load up your files and your are ready to stream away .

It is also handy in this case that the NAS share file can also be found using my CD Ripping software (DbPoweramp) so I can rip music direct to the USB HD connected to my Pi and because it is now a NAS all other PC and Media Network devices can connect to and use it as well .

So far once I got through all of the above this has worked very well and my music is just streaming as I want it with nothing but the Pi on and I have acces form most rooms when I want it.

Gaddy is an alternative and the people running it are in the first start up stage so some problems are to be expected .However it works and works well so would commend anyone else interested to give it a try .

gaddy
2014-04-27, 23:26
Hmmmmmmmmmm

A Raspberry is a learning Computer -> a out of the Box "dummies" Raspberry Paket is like ......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
And a User that never wrote before any kind of questions or answers that show us what cool stuff outside is aviable is something i would call SeoBullshit......
Even when another "new" User is answering asap and wanna tell us about that "cool stuff"

We agree that Raspberry Pi is a great learning computer, but we also think Raspberry Pi as a great computer platform to run applications on at home for non-Linux(or Linux) experts, one example is the success of XBMC on Raspberry with preinstalled images where you don't need any knowledge of Linux to get it up and running.

One of our main missions is that anyone should be able to run applications under there own control and by that get privacy and also have great services at their home.

Jonny (a non-Linux user) that has helped us with a testing really like our service and would like to spread his word about it then he notified us about this thread, he is an enthusiastic user of the service that has make it able for him to run stuff at his home without Linux knowledge.

hmm - may you repaet them, cause you didnt wrote (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100724-SqueezePlug-Version-7-available&p=774503&viewfull=1#post774503) anything thats useful to help without asking back...

If the Pi iws wired - can you see the leds are still blinking?
Can you ping it?
Whats connected to the pi
First of all - Change the Power Supply to one from a Apple >900mA

This is the type of problems we help people with our service, in the web user interface the user will see if the device is connected we make it easy to configure wlan and network. They will get help with entering configuration information, they will get help when the service doesn't work by automatic repairs. There service will be automatically upgraded. When a user encounter problems we will be automatic notified and can help the user and also based on the type of problem ensure that other users in the future doesn't run into the same problem.

We help people that doesn't have the time or knowledge to get services running at their home and we think Raspberry Pi is a great platform for many services.

Ulf at GaddyGaddy

bencat
2014-04-28, 23:34
Just an update to say that after my initial teething problems with set up and getting the NAS app working having followed the set up in the order I outlined the full Pi as Squeezeserver is now working exactly as it should no issues no real need to go back to the Gaddy site everything I need to control is on my SBT ,Squeeze Radio and Squeeze player . This has been a nice simple fix for those people who like the economy and idea of having a low power headless server running their music without much of the hassle of install copying images then setting up. I would say that the set up is simple enough for anyone to do and once completed you just get your music on demand when you want it. I would aslo make note this is the Squeezebox forum not a Pi forum .I would not ask or post on any Pi forums as they are for that products follwoers who want to learn and find out all its properties which is great .However I am a music fan who just resented leaving an energy hungry PC/Laptop on all the time just to get my music .I wanted a simple and easy solution that worked and in this case that is what I got not without problems but nothing that was too difficult.