PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] VortexBox 2.3 reelased

agillis
2014-04-09, 13:33
It's been over a year since our last full release of VortexBox. There have been small incremental updates but not a big release. VortexBox 2.3 is finally ready! Thanks to the work of our community the release has a huge number of features and updates. Although the interface looks the same, most of the features are in the underlying technology.

- SqueezeBox Server 7.8.0 the latest release from Community Squeeze
- Fedora 20 with better hardware support for new DACs, motherboards, etc
- Squeezelite as a built-in player
- Full DSD support - play DSD direct to a DSD capable DAC or transcode to PCM in-line for non DSD DACs
- Backup and restore now does the LMS settings as well
- Network-based install so you can install from a USB key
- Latest PlexMedia Server to serve files to TVs and video devices
- SqueezeBox Server Google Music plug-in prebuilt for VortexBox
- SqueezeBox Server Shairport (Airplay) plug-in prebuilt for VortexBox

Thanks to the community for all your hard work on features, bug fixes, testing, etc!

http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/general/54267-vortexbox-2-3-released

pippin
2014-04-09, 17:03
One question: One of your changeant is "SqueezeLite as an integrated player".
Does this mean SqueezeLite now replaces the mpd based VortexBox player as the default player or is it just an additional option?

And another one: in the past I could only run 32 bit versions in a VM, does 2.3 also support 64 bit VMs?

agillis
2014-04-10, 12:46
Squeezelite is now installed by default. It works much better then the old mpd system.

VortexBox 2.3 is based on 32bit Fedora 20 but it should work in 64bit vmware.

Mr. Bill
2014-04-10, 13:35
I use Andrew's Vortexbox software on a daily basis and just wanted to thank him for all of his efforts for a job well done and for a great program. I performed the upgrade earlier today and less than 30 minutes later I was back in business. I had no issues with the update which ran from start to finish with no user intervention.

Again, thanks Andrew for a great program.

Bill

banned for life
2014-04-11, 05:30
I have been unable to get any recent version of VB to recognize an NFS mount.

I agree: a great distro that thrives as a VM. I am, however, stuck in the past.

Banned

pippin
2014-04-11, 05:51
Squeezelite is now installed by default. It works much better then the old mpd system.

Can you give details about what works better?

Not that I'm questioning this at all but I have a number of users - especially audiophiles - who tend to ask whenever something changes in their system and have a tendency to stick to past setups due to this and I want to understand what to answer.
I also know some people were experiencing crashes in iPeng 7 when using the old player and that's something else I'd like to understand since I'd still like to fix it for those who stick to the old version for now.

Ron Olsen
2014-04-11, 20:25
I have been unable to get any recent version of VB to recognize an NFS mount.

I agree: a great distro that thrives as a VM. I am, however, stuck in the past.

Banned

I have no problem doing an NFS mount on VB 2.3. The nfs-utils package is part of the base install, and that's what you need to do NFS mounts. If it's not on your VB, install it by

yum install nfs-utils
Here's the /etc/fstab line which I use to mount /storage from my 9 TB VortexBox Appliance (vortexbox2) onto my 2 TB VortexBox Appliance (vortexbox1):

vortexbox2:/storage /storage nfs defaults 0 0

Works just fine.

Note: Make sure your NFS server has appropriate permissions in /etc/exports for the directory you want to mount on the VB 2.3 machine.