PDA

View Full Version : Pinout of Geek Connector on Slimp3 for Remote Amp Power-up



2004-11-28, 20:57
I am planning to build a small DC powered amplifier to power a few
speakers in my kitchen. I would like this to be a built in unit that I
don't have to access to power on. Reading the archives I saw the
following post with the pinout for the squeezebox:

1 gnd
2 +5V
3 +3.3V
4 +2.5V
5 synchronous serial debug output, clock
6 synchronous serial debug output, data
7 i2c clock
8 i2c data
9 infrared input/monitor
10 general-purpose i/o (doesn't do anything yet)
11 s/pdif enable indicator (may be used to drive remote amplifier
turn-on)
12 s/pdif output 0 to 3.3V
13 ethernet activity LED (may be re-purposed later)
14 ethernet link LED ""
15 decoder reset line (not really useful)
16 mixer input: analog left
17 mixer input: analog right
18 mixer input: s/pdif (0-3.3V CMOS input)

I see that pin 11 for the s/pdif can be used to trip a remote amplifier, I
was wondering if there is a simlar feature on the Slimp3. I understand
that there is no s/pdif on the Slimp3 to use, but are there any outputs on
the Slimp3 that are at different states when powered up that could be used
to trip a relay? Are the voltages always hot no matter which state the
unit is in (playback vs. standby)?

Has anyone succesfully built a similar setup? If so any pointers would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Malsbury

kdf
2004-11-28, 23:32
http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/development.htm#io_extension

Quoting slim (AT) malsbury (DOT) net:

> I am planning to build a small DC powered amplifier to power a few
> speakers in my kitchen. I would like this to be a built in unit that I
> don't have to access to power on. Reading the archives I saw the
> following post with the pinout for the squeezebox:
>
> 1 gnd
> 2 +5V
> 3 +3.3V
> 4 +2.5V
> 5 synchronous serial debug output, clock
> 6 synchronous serial debug output, data
> 7 i2c clock
> 8 i2c data
> 9 infrared input/monitor
> 10 general-purpose i/o (doesn't do anything yet)
> 11 s/pdif enable indicator (may be used to drive remote amplifier
> turn-on)
> 12 s/pdif output 0 to 3.3V
> 13 ethernet activity LED (may be re-purposed later)
> 14 ethernet link LED ""
> 15 decoder reset line (not really useful)
> 16 mixer input: analog left
> 17 mixer input: analog right
> 18 mixer input: s/pdif (0-3.3V CMOS input)
>
> I see that pin 11 for the s/pdif can be used to trip a remote amplifier, I
> was wondering if there is a simlar feature on the Slimp3. I understand
> that there is no s/pdif on the Slimp3 to use, but are there any outputs on
> the Slimp3 that are at different states when powered up that could be used
> to trip a relay? Are the voltages always hot no matter which state the
> unit is in (playback vs. standby)?
>
> Has anyone succesfully built a similar setup? If so any pointers would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom Malsbury
>
>
>

Kevin O. Lepard
2004-11-29, 19:12
Is there a way to turn off music scanning? That is, so that pushing
the "<<" and ">>" buttons only jump to the start of a track or to the
next/previous track no matter how long they are pressed/held? On my
system (OS X 10.3.6 with SlimServer 5.4.0) this has never worked
right and has actually appeared to hang the SlimServer.

This has occurred not only on 5.4.0 but multiple earlier versions
interacting with both the SLIMP3 and the Squeezebox. I'd rather just
turn it off so it doesn't flummox the family and makes the product
more reliable.

The problem is very persistent. I get the music jumping around--not
scanning smoothly--and it will continue past power cycling either
device, stopping and restarting on a new song, and generally makes a
pest of itself. I would really like to find a way to turn this OFF.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard
kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

kdf
2004-11-29, 20:09
Quoting "Kevin O. Lepard" <kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net>:

> Is there a way to turn off music scanning? That is, so that pushing
> the "<<" and ">>" buttons only jump to the start of a track or to the
> next/previous track no matter how long they are pressed/held? On my
> system (OS X 10.3.6 with SlimServer 5.4.0) this has never worked
> right and has actually appeared to hang the SlimServer.

edit IR/Default.map and change the following lines:
rew.hold = jump_rew
fwd.hold = jump_fwd

or, create a IR/Custom.map with the following contents:

[common]
rew.hold = jump_rew
fwd.hold = jump_fwd

then go into player settings, remote and choose Custom in the Remote Button
Functions.

cheers,
kdf

Kevin O. Lepard
2004-12-01, 15:14
>Quoting "Kevin O. Lepard" <kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net>:
>
> > Is there a way to turn off music scanning?


[snip]

>edit IR/Default.map and change the following lines:
>rew.hold = jump_rew
>fwd.hold = jump_fwd
>
>or, create a IR/Custom.map with the following contents:
>
>[common]
>rew.hold = jump_rew
>fwd.hold = jump_fwd
>
>then go into player settings, remote and choose Custom in the Remote Button
>Functions.

kdf

Many, many thanks. This works _great_ and also let me fix it so the
volume buttons don't turn down the volume via the SLIMP3/Squeezebox,
just the amp.

Are all the acceptable arguments for these documented somewhere?

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard
kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

kdf
2004-12-01, 15:40
Quoting "Kevin O. Lepard" <kolepard (AT) charter (DOT) net>:

> Many, many thanks. This works _great_ and also let me fix it so the
> volume buttons don't turn down the volume via the SLIMP3/Squeezebox,
> just the amp.
>
> Are all the acceptable arguments for these documented somewhere?

help -> technical information -> Button Mapping, but its not exhaustive by a
long shot :)

The basic are that the .ir files take care of mappign a code to a button name
(name=000fABC)

the map files then map those button names to functions:
name.timing = function_parameter

the fucntions are defined in the code ad are context sensitive to the mode that
the player is in at the time. Mode modules are all located in Slim/Buttons if
you can read Perl.

Have fun with it. If you need more answers along the way, please fire those off
to the developers list (developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com)

-kdf

-kdf