PDA

View Full Version : Why SSODS?

ob_kook
2014-04-03, 11:17
I have a DS413 which is ppc based.

I installed the native LMS package for it and generally it works fine. I do miss Spotify, and I am having issues playing 24bit 96khz audio, but not sure if that is related to the NAS yet or not.

What are the primary advantages that installing SSODS would provide?

Thanks!
Peter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

soulgazer
2014-04-04, 01:03
For me, one major advantage is that I can upgrade to a newer version whenever I feel like it, and not when Synology gets time to package and release it.

j-r
2014-04-04, 04:11
For me, one major advantage is that I can upgrade to a newer version whenever I feel like it, and not when Synology gets time to package and release it.

You name it. I'm using SSODS for many years now and i always wanted to use the latest LMS/Squeezebox Server. It took weeks or month until a "official" Version was released and even longer if you are waiting for an bugfix. With SSODS you can use the official LMS released by logitech or a nightly build with latest updates.

pinkdot
2014-04-04, 09:00
Same here, and it runs as smooth as the package from Synology!

ob_kook
2014-04-04, 13:36
Ah, that makes total sense, thanks for the replies.

Is it an easy install process? I am not a Linux guy, and have not really done much with my DS besides the native tools and packages.
I browsed around a bit, but have not really seen a guide?

Also, are any of you streaming hi res music (24 bit / 96 or 192 KHz) from SSODS? Any issues?

Thanks,

Peter

ob_kook
2014-04-04, 15:05
Correction: http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods_installation

Google is my friend.
Any idea if this is up to date and relevant for all recent versions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mnyb
2014-04-05, 00:16
Ah, that makes total sense, thanks for the replies.

Is it an easy install process? I am not a Linux guy, and have not really done much with my DS besides the native tools and packages.
I browsed around a bit, but have not really seen a guide?

Also, are any of you streaming hi res music (24 bit / 96 or 192 KHz) from SSODS? Any issues?

Thanks,

Peter

The hirez thing may be more bound to the CPU and memory than anything else .

Doubt that a ppc NAS of any kind has the power to transcode .
(Examples boom can't play 24/96 so the server has to convert 24/96 to24/48. Touch does 24/96 but not 24/192 )

But users of synology NAS boxes may chime in on which models that's powerfull enough to transcode .