PDA

View Full Version : Long time user, lost

pfarrell
2014-03-30, 11:18
I have a non-graphics SB1, not a SB1-G. And a Duet, Radio, Boom, Touch, Transporter and some other stuff. I have well over 1000 albums ripped on a server in my basement. I recently moved from Virginia to Pennsylvania, and I have not got any of my Squeeze-Stuff working yet. Thought I'd drop into the forums and see what was happening. It was clear from watching Logitech's success with the Touch and GoogleTV that the "streaming media division" (aka nee SlimDevices) world was doomed. And from what I can tell, its all dead except maybe LMS. I read about 20 pages on the community squeezebox replacement, and got lost, which was about 110 pages short of reading it all.

Can someone give me a quick overview of:
1) what is happening with SlimServer, the server software?
2) what people are using for new players?

I would really like a half dozen SqueezeBox 3 equivalents.

Apesbrain
2014-03-30, 11:45
There recently was an "unofficial" release of Logitech Media Server 7.8 (nee SlimServer). It works well and you can find it here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?101237-Logitech-Media-Server-7-8-0-now-available!

Latest firmware, if needed, is available here:

http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.8.0/

The community hardware player (CSP) will hopefully be available later this year. People are using Raspberry Pi, Wandboard, Android mini-PC, and whatever Squeezebox equipment can be found on eBay. If you go with Wandboard, you may be able to eventually add the CSP DAC daughter board. RPi (plus SD card, case, wifi dongle and power supply) + HiFimeDIY DAC + piCorePlayer is a pretty elegant hardware player solution for about $100 so long as you don't mind using a smartphone, tablet or PC as a controller:

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

UPDATE: Surprised to see some UE Smart Radios are still available on Amazon.

pfarrell
2014-03-30, 17:44
What's a UE smart radio? Looks like my Squeeze Radio. I assume that Logitech "improved" the firmware.

Mnyb
2014-03-30, 18:10
What's a UE smart radio? Looks like my Squeeze Radio. I assume that Logitech "improved" the firmware.

Yep they did , it's a bit different dumbed down variant they tried to launch under the UE brand ( that they have acquired to ).
More geared towards Internet only listeners .
Luckily you can convert an UE radio to a Squeezebox Radio :) they only recently killed that one so some of them may still be in retail , that's the last squeezebox you can buy .

But you should be able to resurect your old squeezeboxes and use them with the newest server . And logitech still runs their mysqueezebox.com aka squeezenetwork ?
Maybe the SB1 would start showing its age it would not be good for online services .dont support that many file formats and has smaller buffer etc

Transporter and duet and SB3 can even be used for spotify with Triodes excellent spotify plugin ( not the official app provided by logitech , that one only works on radio or Touch ) these players still rocks if the hardware is ok .

The most versitality player is the Touch if you got one .I've got spares tucked away so I could replace my Touches if they brake .

Many of the new third party options are based on a very versitality software player called squeezelite that triode wrote its headless ( no GUI ) runs on almost every platform and plays almost every file format a hardware squeezebox can play and actually some more formats ! Much more usefull than softsqueeze or Squeezeslave you may be familiar with .

pfarrell
2014-03-30, 20:43
But you should be able to resurect your old squeezeboxes and use them with the newest server . And logitech still runs their mysqueezebox.com aka squeezenetwork

I plan to fire up the old server and upgrade it. First I'll have to do a few "apt-get update" cycles.

Maybe the SB1 would start showing its age it would not be good for online services .dont support that many file formats and has smaller buffer etc

The SB1 could only do MP3 and a naked audio, which meant that flac and other formats had to be expanded on the server. Since its only 802.11b, that doesn't really work well over WiFi, but it worked well with some Cat5. Yes, its too dumb to talk to online services. So its mostly an historical artifact.

Many of the new third party options are based on a very versitality software player called squeezelite that triode wrote its headless ( no GUI ) runs on almost every platform and plays almost every file format a hardware squeezebox can play and actually some more formats

I've got a touch, boom, duet and Transporter. Somewhere I have a Radio, and I uncovered the SB1 recently. I even had the hack installed in the Controller to let it be a player as well.

I've got a Raspberry Pi in a box somewhere, once I uncover it, I'll check if it has the proper pins. Its a very early version, so I may be forced to squander another $35 to get a current rev of the R-Pi

Thanks for the overview.

erland
2014-03-30, 21:03
Can someone give me a quick overview of:
1) what is happening with SlimServer, the server software?

The latest version of LMS (previously known as SlimServer) software which is officially supported by Logitech is 7.7.3, they might release a 7.7.4 but it will probably only happens if 7.7.3 stops working on latest OS versions or some online service used by significant amount of users breaks.

The recently released 7.8.0 version of LMS is a community supported release which Logitech doesn't officially support other than letting one of their employees help with the development now and then.

Nobody knows what will happen with LMS in the future, my personal guess is that it will likely continue to work on Linux for local music many years to come. OSX/Windows might break as soon as Logitech abandon Squeezebox completely and Apple/Microsoft release a new OS version, hard to say exactly when this becomes an issue. Online service support except for TuneIn(internet radio) is likely going to break eventually since it depends on Logitech's mysqueezebox.com servers, but the ickStream Music Platform intends to replace the current online service support with something new.

The following wiki page describes a bit about the different community efforts currently in progress:
http://wiki.slimdevices.org/index.php/Community_Projects

On top of this there are a number of individual third party developers still active who produce new third party plugins and remote control apps.

2) what people are using for new players?

In my mind you basically have the following choices:

- Get a used Squeezebox on ebay. The Touch and Radio have mostly open source firmware so they are more likely to work on longer terms than Classic, Boom, Transporter and Duet.

- Get a used UE Smart Radio on ebay and convert it to Squeezebox Radio firmware. You don't want to use the default UE Smart Radio firmware because its unusable for local music without Logitech's online servers and it's not compatible with your existing Squeezeboxes, it even requires a separate server software.

- Get a Vortexbox Appliance (which includes a player module)

- Build your own DIY solution, there are number of ways to do this, most is currently based on using the SqueezeLite software player together with hardware like RaspberryPi, Wandboard, SheevaPlug or an old computer or smart phone. Just note that the built-in DAC's in most of these DIY hardware isn't that good, so if you want decent audio quality you need to combine them with an external DAC. The Community Squeeze project is based on a Wandboard, so if you want to upgrade to their high-end DAC module as soon as it's available it might be a good idea to base a DIY setup on Wandboard.

And please remember that some online services only work with real Squeezebox hardware produced by Logitech.

w3wilkes
2014-03-30, 22:23
my personal guess is that it will likely continue to work on Linux for local music many years to come. OSX/Windows might break as soon as Logitech abandon Squeezebox completely and Apple/Microsoft release a new OS version

Non sequitur... I see no reason for this statement. There is no reason why a future Linux OS version is less likely to break LMS than a future Apple/Microsoft OS version? As is true with the Linux OS, if you don't upgrade the Apple/Microsoft OS and it works now, it will continue to work in the future.

mherger
2014-03-30, 23:04
> The SB1 could only do MP3 and a naked audio, which meant that flac and
> other formats had to be expanded on the server. Since its only 802.11b,
> that doesn't really work well over WiFi, but it worked well with some
> Cat5. Yes, its too dumb to talk to online services. So its mostly an
> historical artifact.

No, it's not. Most music services would work just fine. Less Spotify and
Rhapsody. The others still stream mp3. (and the SB1 can play PCM too ;-)).

--

Michael

erland
2014-03-30, 23:46
Non sequitur... I see no reason for this statement. There is no reason why a future Linux OS version is less likely to break LMS than a future Apple/Microsoft OS version? As is true with the Linux OS, if you don't upgrade the Apple/Microsoft OS and it works now, it will continue to work in the future.

It will of course continue to work as long as you don't upgrade. You are also correct that Linux versions can break, most likely due to newer perl versions, but I think it's more likely that the community can fix a Linux issue than issues on Windows/OSX.

Especially Windows is problematic since the Windows distribution requires a commercial perl license to be allowed to redistribute the compiled binaries and old perl versions aren't available for download from ActiveState if you want to use an older perl version and run from the source.

But let's not worry too much as long as Logitech still are willing to build and redistribute new LMS versions released by the community.

pfarrell
2014-03-31, 08:42
No, it's not. Most music services would work just fine. Less Spotify and
Rhapsody. The others still stream mp3. (and the SB1 can play PCM too ;-)).

Right the SB1 plays PCM which is how it does flac, the slimserver server converts flac to PCM.

I haven't tried, but are you sure it works with a music service? Its not smart enough to run HTTP to talk to anything. Or are my decade old memory cells getting parity errors?

Mnyb
2014-03-31, 08:44
Right the SB1 plays PCM which is how it does flac, the slimserver server converts flac to PCM.

I haven't tried, but are you sure it works with a music service? Its not smart enough to run HTTP to talk to anything. Or are my decade old memory cells getting parity errors?

With you local server you are probably alright it does all these stuff, directly to mysqueezebox.com I don't think so ?

mherger
2014-03-31, 08:53
> pfarrell wrote:
>> Right the SB1 plays PCM which is how it does flac, the slimserver server
>> converts flac to PCM.
>>
>> I haven't tried, but are you sure it works with a music service? Its not
>> smart enough to run HTTP to talk to anything. Or are my decade old
>> memory cells getting parity errors?
>
> With you local server you are probably alright it does all these stuff,
> directly to mysqueezebox.com I don't think so ?

Correct. Connected to your LMS it should work with those service, but it
can't connect to mysb.com.

--

Michael

Wombat
2014-03-31, 13:53
I remember you were pretty active a while on these forums and a member with interesting posts. Welcome back Pat!
I want to report that 7.8.0 works nicely on a lubuntu 14.04 beta. Since it will become a LTS version and 7.8.0 seems to have the right perl versions you may think about using it.

pfarrell
2014-03-31, 18:19
Welcome back Pat!

Thanks. My Squeezeserver box, or whatever the software was called last time it was running and I looked, is on a Debian system. I love Debian. The "lubuntu" is obviously a grandson of Debian.

Wombat
2014-04-01, 03:04
The "lubuntu" is obviously a grandson of Debian.
Yes, all Ubuntu derivats are debian and the "l" Ubuntu is pretty new with using well chosen tools and applications making it a light weight distro. My old Atom D330 feels pretty fast with it. For some a headless system is enough but since my music server runs often 24/7 i use it for several other simple tasks.