PDA

View Full Version : Playlist bug 7.8?

BJW
2014-03-29, 00:49
hi all,

so I have three playlists. two are sub 3k entries, while the other is about 22k. *.m3u8 files.

I scan them in and all seems well.

in the webui I go to home>my music>playlists, and if I click on the sub 3k ones, they pop right up (meaning the songs entries pop up on the left half of the screen).

but the 22k one results in a blank left half of the screen.

is this a known bug?

Mnyb
2014-03-29, 01:00
22k do you mean that the playlist is 22000 files long ?

There is a server setting for maximum playlist length default is 500 tracks have you ch aged that one ?
Large playlist is a bit demanding on the server but if you run LMS on a modern computer you could use larger playlist .

BJW
2014-03-29, 17:49
22k do you mean that the playlist is 22000 files long ?

yes, one playlist scanned in is around 22k files/songs long.

There is a server setting for maximum playlist length default is 500 tracks have you ch aged that one ?

I have not changed it but that isn't what I'm talking about. that is on the right hand side and afaik, it does load only 500.

I am talking about the lefthand side where you browse your music/playlists. the other two fully and instantly display all entries. but the 22k one results in a white blank screen.

Large playlist is a bit demanding on the server but if you run LMS on a modern computer you could use larger playlist .

I am not talking about loading it to play it. I am talking about simply looking at it, on the lefthand side.

Mnyb
2014-03-29, 21:39
The size limit applies in more places than the player side .

You can for example not create list larger than this limit in LMS so it goes that you probably cant open list larger than this limit .

I'll try it rigth now and see what happens .

Mnyb
2014-03-29, 22:08
The size limit applies in more places than the player side .

You can for example not create list larger than this limit in LMS so it goes that you probably cant open list larger than this limit .

I'll try it rigth now and see what happens .

I tested it loads 25k playlist just fine for me ?

LMS cant create them larger than the set limit , but it actually loads it own playlists created when the limit was larger even after i set the limit to a lower value .

What I did not test was the following : create a playlist larger than lms limit with another tool and then scan it ?
it will take a while to test i'm setting up another app to seem my music server rigth now...

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.1 - 1396040560 @ Sat Mar 29 03:01:28 UTC 2014
Hostname: nostromo.home.lan
IP: 192.168.1.50
HTTP Port: 9000
Platform: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.1 - i386-linux-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 4

BJW
2014-03-29, 22:29
I'm not sure I understand you, but I created my playlist files with winamp.

i think the whole "500 limit" thing is a tangent that does not apply to this situation. that's for loading songs to be played on the right hand side.

remember what i said: i have three playlists, all made by winamp, and all scanned into server. i can play ALL THREE of them.

the issue is DISPLAY, meaning when you click the playlist name to actually look at what is inside it, which is done on the lefthand side. two display fine, and they both exceed the 500 number. the third will not display on the lefthand portion of the screen.

so, imo, the problem is either server, (which i consider the more likely), or it is this playlist in that it has some kind of entry that is invalid for display for some reason, and that could be either servers' or the playlists' fault.

Mnyb
2014-03-29, 22:48
I'm not sure I understand you, but I created my playlist files with winamp.

i think the whole "500 limit" thing is a tangent that does not apply to this situation. that's for loading songs to be played on the right hand side.

remember what i said: i have three playlists, all made by winamp, and all scanned into server. i can play ALL THREE of them.

the issue is DISPLAY, meaning when you click the playlist name to actually look at what is inside it, which is done on the lefthand side. two display fine, and they both exceed the 500 number. the third will not display on the lefthand portion of the screen.

so, imo, the problem is either server, (which i consider the more likely), or it is this playlist in that it has some kind of entry that is invalid for display for some reason, and that could be either servers' or the playlists' fault.

yes that exactly what i'm trying i have a 25k playlist on my left side rigth now . even if my pl limit is 4000 tracks . and it works

So the pl limit does only apply when creating them on lms itself and loading them on the right side , just wanted to confirm that . it also apply for random list and external services

Rigth now I'm creating an playlist with another ap exaile ( I'm on Linux ) these are *.m3u files .

I'm just try to see if I can reproduce the bug .

Currently I cant it works with 25k files for me i'll report when i tried my externally made playlist .

However can another person using windows try it ?

And how long do you wait ? loading a large list can be sluggish ?

Mnyb
2014-03-29, 22:55
have you made any change to the playlist ?

You have to rescan for changes to be applied by lms .

And you can do a scan playlist only scan and maybe see something in the LMS log files when it does this scan ? you migth have to apply some more verbose log setting to see more details.

BJW
2014-03-29, 23:03
Rigth now I'm creating an playlist with another ap exaile ( I'm on Linux ) these are *.m3u files .

mine are *.m3u8 (Unicode)

how long do you wait ? loading a large list can be sluggish ?

i waited a long time, but the whole leftside save for the graphic border goes blank white. not even the breadcrumb trail.

how long does your 25k list take?

my computer is i7920 with 12gigs ram.

have you made any change to the playlist ?

no. just trying to view what was scanned in. was tested after a full "clear and rescan everything" and playlists are in their own folder.

And you can do a scan playlist only scan and maybe see something in the LMS log files when it does this scan ? you migth have to apply some more verbose log setting to see more details.

as i said, i can PLAY the playlist. it will load to be played on the righthand side. the issue is: lefthand side/display, meaning only when clicking the playlist name itself to see whats actually in the playlist.

Mnyb
2014-03-29, 23:13
my 25k list takes some 20 seconds to load on a dual atom server .

Tried different browsers I'm using firefox .

Do the show on a player interface ? or an app on iPhone or android ?

Having some other stupid problem with my external playlist rigth now :) i'll be back if manage to get them to work .

Mnyb
2014-03-30, 00:33
I made a 31k playlist work fine and made it with an external app .

Exaile sort of crocked out at 5k so used another player , and i haveto edit the paths afterwards as they are not the same on my server as on the desktop anymore (I used to have it like that maybe i should fix that ) .

So anyone with a windows server and winamp ?

can you just for a test build another >22k one from your files ?

BJW
2014-03-30, 00:52
unfortunately it'll be some time before i can do more testing as i am travelling and not at home.

kidstypike
2014-03-30, 05:16
I made a 31k playlist work fine and made it with an external app .

Exaile sort of crocked out at 5k so used another player , and i haveto edit the paths afterwards as they are not the same on my server as on the desktop anymore (I used to have it like that maybe i should fix that ) .

So anyone with a windows server and winamp ?

can you just for a test build another >22k one from your files ?

Windows 7 64bit, not using Winamp, I'm using J River 18. Just created 2 playlists of my entire library 28,000+ tracks, 1x m3u, and 1x m3u8, both display on LHS and both play no problems.

No help to OP, but just for the record.

Mnyb
2014-03-30, 06:59
Yes data points are needed ,that actually helps .

So it's not a general bug then .

A way forward .

Try another playlist of similar size

Remove the playlist do a playlist scan , and then add the playlist again do a playlist scan when it fails it should be something in the log files .

Open a working playlist and the failed one with a text editor and have a look if something is different ?

My 0.02$ there is something wrong with the playlist or the playlist points to a file which makes the scanner crash .

kidstypike
2014-03-30, 07:05
Open a working playlist and the failed one with a text editor and have a look if something is different ?

Again, just for the record: I can open an m3u playlist file in notepad (right-click > open with > Notepad). However "Open With" is not an option in the right-click context menu for m3u8 files.

BJW
2014-03-30, 13:39
Again, just for the record: I can open an m3u playlist file in notepad (right-click > open with > Notepad). However "Open With" is not an option in the right-click context menu for m3u8 files.

well, yeah, but you should still be able to do an "open" (maybe via doubleclick) and teach windows the extension. however, it seems moot anyway, b/c both work for you; i don't know why mynb seems to think one failed?

so anyway, it'll be a while before i can look at mine again, but even if we think the problem is with some entry in my 22k one that keeps it from being displayed, that doesn't mean the playlist is itself necessarily at fault. it just means that it might be. the other possibility is server is just handling some otherwise valid entry poorly.