PDA

View Full Version : Clarification regarding last.fm

Ikabob
2014-03-26, 15:04
I received notice that Last.fm will no longer be available as an audible service on Squeezebox after late April.
Am I interpreting this correctly and we will no longer have last.fm as an app?
Thank you.

yeomanspc
2014-03-26, 15:36
That's more or less right. It seems they cannot make the business model work, so they pull the plug. I figured that was in the pipeline when they stopped annual subscriptions (for non-US users anyway).

LastFM will no longer stream radio from their servers, but you can still use your LFM library to play music from Spotify or YouTube (not sure how that would work on SB/LMS nor how much effort would be required). It seems they stop streaming to all devices except IOS and PC although they hint at a developer API but I think you can forget LastFM as we know it.

But in all this, much as I liked LastFM for discovering new music and for when I am too lazy to sort out my own mix, I am grateful that my SB system will continue (with MusicIP and Sugarcube) to play generated music mixes and that I can still explore my own music collection for many years to come. It's also a reminder that the only reliable 'cloud service' is the one on my NAS, and why I should keep it that way.

mherger
2014-03-26, 22:46
> I received notice that Last.fm will no longer be available as an audible
> service on Squeezebox after late April.
> Am I interpreting this correctly and we will no longer have last.fm as
> an app?

Yes, I will be removing it from mysb.com. Scrobbling on LMS will
continue to work though.

--

Michael