PDA

View Full Version : End of Last FM streaming for Squeezebox - alternatives (for use in UK) ?

swayzak
2014-03-26, 13:02
I guess all good things come to an end end of April - LastFM has been brilliant for me, but clearly they have a business plan that does not include device support anymore.

Is Spotify any good ? Can you set it up in a similar way to LastFM e.g. random playback of various types / genres of music etc. ?

I gather there is a plugin for LMS which allows Spotify on Booms - is this correct ? Is there any way I can use it on my Booms via MySB.com for Spotify ?

garym
2014-03-26, 15:07
I guess all good things come to an end end of April - LastFM has been brilliant for me, but clearly they have a business plan that does not include device support anymore.

Is Spotify any good ? Can you set it up in a similar way to LastFM e.g. random playback of various types / genres of music etc. ?

I gather there is a plugin for LMS which allows Spotify on Booms - is this correct ? Is there any way I can use it on my Booms via MySB.com for Spotify ?

I use spotify but don't use the direct random play (that said, I use SmartMix plugin, which can use spotify tracks in any ongoing random mix, so that works brilliantly).

Yes, you need Triode's 3rd Party Spotify plugin to use Spotify for anything other than Radio or TOUCH. But this means that LMS must be running on a local computer or NAS. It won't work with mysb.com only.

MarkusE
2014-03-30, 10:04
I use spotify but don't use the direct random play (that said, I use SmartMix plugin, which can use spotify tracks in any ongoing random mix, so that works brilliantly).

Yes, you need Triode's 3rd Party Spotify plugin to use Spotify for anything other than Radio or TOUCH. But this means that LMS must be running on a local computer or NAS. It won't work with mysb.com only.

OK, this seems to be a bit frustrating. Let me repeat this in other words: there is no alternative for LastFm on mysqueezebox.com with a SB Classic? I only can install the 3rd Party plugin on my server. Am I right?

garym
2014-03-30, 10:26
OK, this seems to be a bit frustrating. Let me repeat this in other words: there is no alternative for LastFm on mysqueezebox.com with a SB Classic? I only can install the 3rd Party plugin on my server. Am I right?

Correct. You are right. (You would need to use LMS and plugin)

p.s. Sonos users seem to be upset with the decision by LastFM as well based on some threads I've seen. I suppose it is simply much harder to compete from LastFM's point of view now that there is BEATS, SPOTIFY, iTunes Radio, etc.

MarkusE
2014-03-30, 10:54
Correct. You would need to use LMS and plugin

Sorry, perhaps a silly Question: what is LMS?

garym
2014-03-30, 11:57
Sorry, perhaps a silly Question: what is LMS?

Logitech Media Server (has had several names over the years, SqueezeBox Server, etc.). This is the program one installs on one's PC, Mac, NAS (and can install plugins, etc.).

mherger
2014-03-30, 22:59
> OK, this seems to be a bit frustrating. Let me repeat this in other
> words: there is no alternative for LastFm on mysqueezebox.com with a SB
> Classic? I only can install the 3rd Party plugin on my server. Am I
> right?

Many of the music services out there provide some kind of "smart radio"
feature. And most of them would work with the Classic. Only Spotify does
not without LMS.

--

Michael

MarkusE
2014-03-31, 13:24
Many of the music services out there provide some kind of "smart radio"
feature. And most of them would work with the Classic. Only Spotify does
notlast without LMS.

LastFM has obviously got some features I'm afraid the other "smart radios" don't have. A steadily growing music library in parts with quite unknown artists, developed by recommendations, "loved songs" at other stations and shared songs in a huge network. Now I have 500 favorite tracks and 650 artists in my music collection. I don't have any clue, how I could transfer them to another station.

garym
2014-03-31, 14:21
LastFM has obviously got some features I'm afraid the other "smart radios" don't have. A steadily growing music library in parts with quite unknown artists, developed by recommendations, "loved songs" at other stations and shared songs in a huge network. Now I have 500 favorite tracks and 650 artists in my music collection. I don't have any clue, how I could transfer them to another station.

Yep, this is not good for you and others. (and I myself am quite fond of the scrobbling feature....I have fun seeing the history of what I play from almost all the different sources I play from). But this does point out that depending on cloud services for music is "dangerous" for anyone seeking any sort of permanency in their music library/collection. Services come and go, things that used to exist within a service disappear, etc.

I wouldn't bet much that *any* of the current services have any long term life in them. Yes, there will always be some sort of significant streaming services (like a Spotify, Beats, iTunes, Grooveshark, Last.FM, etc.). But there will be shakeups, mergers, buyouts, etc. And even if something survives (e.g., MOG), it may be combined with other services (BEATS) that removes some users ability to use in the same way. Something like iTunes or Google may last the longest (but I'm an old guy, and I'd never predicted the demise of Kodak for example).

For me, I love the flexibility of streaming services for travel, etc. and the ability to explore new music and test out new releases. But for my *real* music collection. I own it, rip it, and back it up to lots of locations. I know this makes me a dinosaur!

MarkusE
2014-04-01, 11:50
... But for my *real* music collection. I own it, rip it, and back it up to lots of locations. I know this makes me a dinosaur!

Fortunately I have a huge music collection (CDs!) as well (and so am I one of the dinosaurs ;)). The point is: LastFM was one important channel to discover new music. As yeomanspc says in the second thread about this topic

But in all this, much as I liked LastFM for discovering new music

garym
2014-04-01, 11:53
Fortunately I have a huge music collection (CDs!) as well (and so am I one of the dinosaurs ;)). The point is: LastFM was one important channel to discover new music. As yeomanspc says in the second thread about this topic

Yes, that will be a real loss.

norderney
2014-04-12, 01:33
Is the Scrobbling feature within LastFM continuing after end of April?

jimbobvfr400
2014-04-12, 01:46
Yes, still scrobbling and suggesting tunes for you. I believe the suggestions will have links to other (Spotify) music services, just no streaming.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk