PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a replacement.

zoula
2014-03-25, 19:18
Hi,

I'm now ready to move on to new hardware. I'm changing almost all my system and will be going full active. I will use a Najda DSP board that I want to feed with I2S signal. as I see it there is only a RaspberryPi that could do this. There is a tone of better board on the market right now but none of them have I2S out with well supported community.

I would prefer to stay in the LMS system but if nothing is available with I2S I may switch system. I don't want to use a UBS converter, adding something else in the chain is pointless...

For now it seems that nothing is available or did I miss something??? Wandboard, Beaglebone Black, Cubietruck, all don't have I2S out implemented.

I'm open for suggestions.

sbp
2014-03-29, 02:56
Hi.
As you already stated, the raspberry can output I2S-data.

There are two players build on raspberry and Triodes great Squeezelite player which might fit your needs:

The piCorePlayer - a dedicated squeezebox player that transform the raspberry to something like a Squeezebox Duet.

or

The SqueezePlug system - which both can act as a player but also a LMS server.

NB- I don't know if the I2S data is compatible with your Najda board, but both players support other boards (hifiberry DAC and Digi and ES9023 Cards) and Squeezeplug support the new Wolfson audio card for the raspberry.

Steen

JackOfAll
2014-03-31, 15:54
Wandboard, Beaglebone Black, Cubietruck, all don't have I2S out implemented.

Not strictly true. All of the above have I2S out implemented, but most are in the early stages rather than end-user stable. I'm sitting here right now, with both a Wandboard and BeagleBone playing music via I2S out to external DAC's. I've not got a CubieTruck at the moment. (Not enough hours in the day). But if you take a look over on the Cubieforums, the guys there have something working on the Cubietruck, ALSA bit-perfect output (http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php?topic=1081.0). The thing is, that none of this is given to you on a plate. You need to be able to work with Linux, compile drivers, know where the bodies are buried and have soldering skills. If you don't fit that profile, the Pi is probably your best bet for the moment.