PDA

View Full Version : UE Discontinued - clearly I missed the memo!

Sb42
2014-03-25, 06:30
Just read at http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-UE/UE-Smart-Radio-discontinued/td-p/1198987 that the UE Smartradio has been discontinued. So where does this leave the Squeezebox/UE line? If the hardware is no longer being sold then is there any life left in my player? I know this question has been posed many times; but I just hope to get an update.

I have two SB Classics and one Radio - the Classics are used primarily for Podcasts and the excellent BBC iplayer plugins. I have LMS running n a spare PC and streams my ripped CD collection when we have people in for dinner, but otherwise I no longer use my local music collection.

The Radio is used exclusively for BBC inlayer plugins but is also connected to an LMS installation with a dozen CDs ripped to that library and never used.

If Logitech pulls the plug on the complete line and my squeezebox.com will I be affected?

thanks for your thoughts..once again!

ModelCitizen
2014-03-25, 07:34
This company is a car crash.

Apesbrain
2014-03-25, 07:50
I don't think anything Logitech does would prevent you listening to your ripped CD collection. Your best bet to avoid issues with streaming that depend on mysqueezebox.com is to update to the latest LMS 7.8 when it gets a general release:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100898-Help-us-achieve-an-official-7-8-0-community-release

You may want to run a 7.8 test environment on another PC in order to check out whether your BBC plugins continue to work.

When/if the time comes for new hardware, check back here. DIY non-Logitech solutions are already available for linux (Raspberry Pi, Wandboard) and Android. An effort is well underway to offer a high-quality, turn-key player to the community:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested&p=771852&viewfull=1#post771852

Apesbrain
2014-03-25, 08:11

Thanks, your post reminded me of two of my favorite songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9WNOkVTWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo3ZnHJ0KTQ

yeomanspc
2014-03-25, 14:07
Just upgrade to 7.8 - been on various versions of that for a year or more and it works just fine - including BBC iplayer. It's a shame they stopped making the players, but you can still pick a few up either new or used if you want more, or use RPi, Ipeng, Squeeze Commander as players, or the quality community player. I'm relaxed about the current situation and confident I'll be listening to my squeeze players in 10 years still - both streamed and my own ripped collection.

slimfast
2014-03-26, 10:44
Better hurry up and revert my 'still in an unopened box' spare UE Radio over to Squeezebox Radio then.

I had a spare one which I had been leaving in the unopened original packaging in case I wanted to eBay it at some point in the future but I think I'd better get it on to Squeezebox firmware pronto, as UE relies 100% on having an internet server active.

RonM
2014-03-26, 13:15
Better hurry up and revert my 'still in an unopened box' spare UE Radio over to Squeezebox Radio then.

I had a spare one which I had been leaving in the unopened original packaging in case I wanted to eBay it at some point in the future but I think I'd better get it on to Squeezebox firmware pronto, as UE relies 100% on having an internet server active.

Moi aussi! Although I suspect Logitech won't pull THAT plug too quickly, given the number of units still in the pipeline at places like Amazon.

slimfast
2014-03-27, 09:15

Agreed - there's clearly money to be made from 'network connected' home music systems as evidenced by the fact that Sonos are currently running a TV advertising campaign in the UK for their products.

Logitech had an incredibly well designed system of top-notch hardware and open and super-flexible software and managed to do absolutely nothing of note with it except first lobotomise it to UE and then completely discontinue it.

I can see the same thing happening with their Harmony line of remotes which they had recently said they would ditch but have kept going for the time being. Recent product developments have been less than stellar and the system seems to get less flexible all the time with their so-called 'improvements'.

Why do they take absolutely brilliant products and mess them up?! Just what sort of people have risen to the top at the company, anyway .... they once really seemed to be on top of their game but ever since the fiasco of their Google TV box they seem to have embarked on a downward spiral of destruction.

aubuti
2014-03-27, 09:45
Logitech had an incredibly well designed system of top-notch hardware and open and super-flexible software and managed to do absolutely nothing of note with it except first lobotomise it to UE and then completely discontinue it.
I'm not going to get into a whole post-mortem, but lobotomizing it to UE was far from the first thing of note. The Boom and Duet came out under the Logitech flag, although it seems that those benefited from momentum that started under Slim Devices (and continued while some of the SD team was still with Logitech).

Then there's the Touch, which I think is a great product, but with a very mangled development process (including the TinyLMS travesty) and a launch so delayed that you could see Moore's Law played out in real time. IMO, that's when things took a serious downward turn. And continued from there.

JJZolx
2014-03-27, 19:56
Interesting. I wasn't aware that the very last vestige of the Squeezebox product line had become officially extinct.

So now we're in that previously theoretical situation of Logitech operating and supporting mysqueezebox.com in support of products that it no longer sells.

This should be interesting.