PDA

View Full Version : track volume levels - auto level?

MOMENTUM
2014-03-25, 05:40
Hello,
I've been using 2 Duet system for about 6 years and love them.
One thing I have always wanted to looking into is if their is a way to auto level various audio tracks.
each flac album has it own dynamic volume, and when going from older albums to newer the tracks the vol is an annoying issue to have to always adjust.
has anyone ever found a way..perhaps an app.. to auto level the volume?
thanks

- - - mo

jimbobvfr400
2014-03-25, 05:48
If your files have replay gain tags in them then LMS will do exactly what you want, with various different options in the settings relating to gain.

I believe either DBPoweramp or Foobar2000 can help with tagging the files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MOMENTUM
2014-03-25, 06:36
ok..thx
so in dbpoweramp I can select my entire library to scan and only add track gain to all files without effecting anything else?
Also all files are flac.
Thx

aspendl828
2014-03-25, 06:54
Be very careful that when you do this you are creating replay gain TAGS as opposed to changing the actual audio in the file.

I've never done this retrospectively in dbPoweramp (although all new rips are tagged appropriately) but when tagging already ripped tracks in Media Monkey you can do both.

Make sure you only add Replay Gain tags!!

garym
2014-03-25, 13:39
ok..thx
so in dbpoweramp I can select my entire library to scan and only add track gain to all files without effecting anything else?
Also all files are flac.
Thx

yes, you "convert to" the REPLAY GAIN DSP in dbpa (*not* ReplayGain (Apply)). This will not touch the FLAC files or tags and will only *add* RG tags to your FLAC files (album and track). One can also do this within foobar2000. In either case, you are not modifying the audio, only adding RG tags.

BJW
2014-03-25, 13:57
I use winamp to add RG tags, and it adds both track and album versions of the tags, and then I use smartgain on the server for playback.

there may be a better program to add RG tags tho.

garym
2014-03-25, 14:01
I use winamp to add RG tags, and it adds both track and album versions of the tags, and then I use smartgain on the server for playback.

there may be a better program to add RG tags tho.

I'm a fan of the SB LMS "smart gain" setting (this is a per player setting by the way). This uses track gain when playing a mixture of songs from different albums and Album gain when playing an entire album. Best of both worlds!

aubuti
2014-03-25, 14:15
I agree 100%. And getting back to the OP who mentioned the he/she wanted to "...only add track gain to all files without effecting anything else" I would emphasize that it's best to add track gain and album gain. Better to include album gain now when adding track grain values, rather than making another pass through the library later to add album gain.

aspendl828
2014-03-26, 07:00
+1 for Smart Gain

MOMENTUM
2014-03-28, 17:04
thanks for the info ..
just one question.
I will be using dbpoweramp and using batch converter to do my entire library.
under conver to replaygain...I have selected
write track gain
write albumgain

im not sure on the next option
EBU R128 CALCULATED GAIN ( OPEN FIELD WITH -18) LUFS

no idea what this section means

thanks

BJW
2014-03-28, 22:26
I believe r128 is a newer way to calc RG. I believe LUFS is a unit of volume measurement. but I could be wrong on both counts.

I think what it is asking tho, is what reference volume u want RG to be at?

I can tell u that with winamp, I am pretty sure reference volume is 89db, and there is a RG pre-amp (which server could use imo) that lets u adjust that amount up or down 6db (I think).

garym
2014-03-29, 04:35
thanks for the info ..
just one question.
I will be using dbpoweramp and using batch converter to do my entire library.
under conver to replaygain...I have selected
write track gain
write albumgain

im not sure on the next option
EBU R128 CALCULATED GAIN ( OPEN FIELD WITH -18) LUFS

no idea what this section means

thanks

yes, 'tick" the EBU R128 box (this is the more modern version of "ReplayGain". Leave the -18 as is.

(and one would only tick the itunes box if you *also* wanted this to write itunes "soundcheck" values to the file (for use by itunes and ithings). Otherwise leave unticked. (I use this when I create mp3 files from my flac files for a mirror library for use in ithings. And it works very well!).

MOMENTUM
2014-04-07, 03:37
just wanted to touch base as I finally added the replay gain tags (track & album) to all my tracks.
Everything works perfectly with smart gain.

The only issue sI has was with the batch converter of DBPOWERAMP.. had to keep the batch file total to 5k.

other than that all went smoothly

Thanks all for your help..so nice to not have to ride the volume knob when entertaining anymore.
Cheers!
- - - mo