PDA

View Full Version : Squeezeplug and NAS mounts

castalla
2014-03-19, 06:36
This is a break off from the Squeezeplug 7 thread.

castalla
2014-03-19, 06:37
@Wayne c

Can you post the entire contents of your fstab file?

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 06:47
@Wayne c

Can you post the entire contents of your fstab file?

Sure and thanks, obviously it isnt justified text wise when using cut and paste, justified like image below it

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

//192.168.0.12/albums/all /mnt/Samba cifs password=qqq111,sec=ntlm,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mo de=0777,dir_mode=0777

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/jazzedupandout/Capturex_zps90cbc6ef.png

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 06:48
having to pop out for a couple of hours apologies in advance

castalla
2014-03-19, 07:02
Okay ... I think I've found the problem!

You are editing the wrong file! You need to edit fstab NOT .fstab (notice the dot!)

First, delete the last line in .fstab (that's the //192.... line). Save the .fstab file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, scroll down the list of files in /etc and find the real fstab file - it's located above the fuse.conf file.

1. Open fstab in the editor:

The last line should be:

# Automatic settings from SqueezePlug scripts starts here:

Delete anything which is below this line.

2. Now add the following as the new last line:

//192.168.0.12/albums/all /mnt/Samba cifs password=qqq111,sec=ntlm,_netdev

Save the file.

3. In PuTTy do a reboot

4. Login and do ls /mnt/Samba

--------------------------------------

Here's hoping ....

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 09:45
Okay ... I think I've found the problem!

Here's hoping ....

After all you help I can now say I have a working Squeezeplug with a library on My time capsule which is being found automatically via Samba!!!.
I'm really impressed and can only thank you a hundred times for helping me sort this out, an absolute top person you are Castalla, its now uploading the music as i type this 3tb of flacs , only up to the letter B but boy am I happy.

Thank you so much.

I guess I should save a copy of this for future reference.

castalla
2014-03-19, 10:15
After all you help I can now say I have a working Squeezeplug with a library on My time capsule which is being found automatically via Samba!!!.
I'm really impressed and can only thank you a hundred times for helping me sort this out, an absolute top person you are Castalla, its now uploading the music as i type this 3tb of flacs , only up to the letter B but boy am I happy.

Thank you so much.

I guess I should save a copy of this for future reference.

Phew!

Glad it's working! I guess you can just refer back here if it all goes wrong again!

Don't forget - when you add new files to the TC you have to run an LMS scan (new & changed files) for them to show.

Enjoy!

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 10:24
I was going to ask if I decided in future to add an external USB storage drive to the Pi, ( i have one with 2tb of music on ) will that be more straightforward ie, using the squeezeplug usb set up interface on the Machine itself, or will that interfere with this set up please?.

castalla
2014-03-19, 10:36
I was going to ask if I decided in future to add an external USB storage drive to the Pi, ( i have one with 2tb of music on ) will that be more straightforward ie, using the squeezeplug usb set up interface on the Machine itself, or will that interfere with this set up please?.

Never done that before myself, but I think the squeezeplug setup should work without messing up what we've done already. I think it would have to be a powered usb disk.

The only problem you could have in the current setup is if the TC ip address changes - best to have it fixed on the static 192.168.0.12 ip address.

How many TB of music do you have??!!! Hope you're young enough to get through it all. I have only 8gb and even then I only listen to about 10% of that!

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 10:52
I have around 7tb in total , all high resolution flac and AIFF stuff around 90,000 tunes.

I was wondering also how you know all these things about Linux?, your help has led to me wanting to find out more about the understanding of the programming side of this, so I can understand what is going on.

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 10:59
The only problem you could have in the current setup is if the TC ip address changes - best to have it fixed on the static 192.168.0.12 ip address.

I've applied one, when I removed the Time Capsule Drive last evening , I did that just in case the IP changed.
Thanks

castalla
2014-03-19, 11:04
I have around 7tb in total , all high resolution flac and AIFF stuff around 90,000 tunes.

I was wondering also how you know all these things about Linux?, your help has led to me wanting to find out more about the understanding of the programming side of this, so I can understand what is going on.

I'm no linux expert .... basically, I use google to hunt down possible answers to a problem. A big problem here is that there are often 100s of answers many of which conflict with each other. Finding a solution can be time-consuming & frustrating.

A key point is that linux at the command line is utterly literal. So, a mistype can easily throw things into chaos. And most of the help feedback is as clear as mud!

Find a basic Linux for Dummies book or a webpage to get started.

-----------------

On my estimate it'll take about 20 years to listen to all your music!

Cheers

Wayne c
2014-03-19, 11:18
I know the LMS is still going through its thing as I type this!. I hope that anyone who has a Time Capsule reads this as it's really helped me , I couldn't possibly have done this without your very kind input.

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 03:49
Good Morning,

I'm sorry to say that I have encountered a problem with this once again, I populated the library last night, and shut down the squeezeplug prior to going to bed, this morning I switched the Pi on and loaded LMS to play a few tunes , but the library is completely empty. the Squeezeplug hasn't kept it in memory over night.

I did ls /mnt/Samba and nothing came back just went to the next line root@squeezeplug

On checking 9000 and looking in Samba as I expected it was completely empty also

Sorry to let you know this.

castalla
2014-03-20, 03:53
Good Morning,

I'm sorry to say that I have encountered a problem with this once again, I populated the library last night, and shut down the squeezeplug prior to going to bed, this morning I switched the Pi on and loaded LMS to play a few tunes , but the library is completely empty. the Squeezeplug hasn't kept it in memory over night.

I did ls /mnt/Samba and nothing came back just went to the next line root@squeezeplug

On checking 9000 and looking in Samba as I expected it was completely empty also

Sorry to let you know this.

Strange ....

In PuTTy:

mount -a

Report results

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 03:55
Strange ....

In PuTTy:

mount -a

Report results

Nothing happened on PuTTY just next squeezeplug line (but I'm guessing Time Capsule mounted in background).

I typed ls /mnt/Samba command on the next Line, and all music showed again in PuTTY

Went over to 9000 and the Samba is populating again ( spinning disk next to it )

I'm thinking if the library isn't staying in the Pis internal memory after power down , but your the expert.

Had an issue last evening also with the albums all being in one folder, took around 3 hours to get half a way then stopped and said scan completed ( it hadn't ) clicked look for new additions tab and it then looks through all the stuff again, took another 3 hours, added around 5000 tunes then said the same, scan completed ( it hadn't ) , I think it's due to all the files being in one massive folder, if I could split them into sub folders it would be quicker, but as you know we have gone for albums/all in program line?. Anyways that not the main thing I guess.

Would be good if I could divide into smaller folders named A B and C for example.

castalla
2014-03-20, 04:22
Nothing happened on PuTTY just next squeezeplug line (but I'm guessing Time Capsule mounted in background).

I typed ls /mnt/Samba command on the next Line, and all music showed again in PuTTY

Went over to 9000 and the Samba is populating again ( spinning disk next to it )

I'm thinking if the library isn't staying in the Pis internal memory after power down , but your the expert.

Had an issue last evening also with the albums all being in one folder, took around 3 hours to get half a way then stopped and said scan completed ( it hadn't ) clicked look for new additions tab and it then looks through all the stuff again, took another 3 hours, added around 5000 tunes then said the same, scan completed ( it hadn't ) , I think it's due to all the files being in one massive folder, if I could split them into sub folders it would be quicker, but as you know we have gone for albums/all in program line?. Anyways that not the main thing I guess.

Would be good if I could divide into smaller folders named A B and C for example.

First things first!

Can you go into LMS and stop the scan - it should be in the Information tab.

We need to test a few things.

Can I ask - what size is the sd-card? Did you expand the filesystem when you first installed Squeezeplug?

But first - abort the scan on LMS. Then reboot the Pi. Wait, do ls /mnt/Samba - files listed?

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 04:28
First things first!

Can you go into LMS and stop the scan - it should be in the Information tab.

We need to test a few things.

Can I ask - what size is the sd-card? Did you expand the filesystem when you first installed Squeezeplug?

But first - abort the scan on LMS. Then reboot the Pi. Wait, do ls /mnt/Samba - files listed?

8gb size Sandisk

File system expanded to full size

Pi rebooted

ls mnt/Samba shows all files A thru to Z ??.

castalla
2014-03-20, 05:00
8gb size Sandisk

File system expanded to full size

Pi rebooted

ls mnt/Samba shows all files A thru to Z ??.

Okay - reboot again - files there? The fstab process should detect your NAS everytime you reboot, and list the files.

If so, then it's probably an issue with the LMS scan and how the data is being stored in the LMS database. I don't know if there's a limit on the number of files in LMS - don't think there is. If it's an LMS issue then we'll need to start a new thread.

Try another total scan - then reboot the Pi - check if files in /mnt/Samba. As you said it'll take a few hours - so I'll check back later today.

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 05:11
Okay - reboot again - files there? The fstab process should detect your NAS everytime you reboot, and list the files.

If so, then it's probably an issue with the LMS scan and how the data is being stored in the LMS database. I don't know if there's a limit on the number of files in LMS - don't think there is. If it's an LMS issue then we'll need to start a new thread.

Try another total scan - then reboot the Pi - check if files in /mnt/Samba. As you said it'll take a few hours - so I'll check back later today.

Just about to do that now thanks a lot , will report back just been reading about this cubieboard thing looks impressive, saw it in your signature !

As I have a HRT Music streamer HD USB dac which may fit in with one of those!!.

castalla
2014-03-20, 05:28
Just about to do that now thanks a lot , will report back just been reading about this cubieboard thing looks impressive, saw it in your signature !

As I have a HRT Music streamer HD USB dac which may fit in with one of those!!.

Cubieboard is good BUT there is no coherent forum for help. You are pretty much on your own with linux ... the Wandboard is a better alternative these days.

castalla
2014-03-20, 06:14
Wayne!

What version of LMS did you install?

castalla
2014-03-20, 07:31
If the scan stops then don't try to restart it - check on Information tab - at the bottom are links to the scanner log file - copy and post the 100 line report.

The important thing at the moment is to sort out the scan issue.

castalla
2014-03-20, 08:34
Can you easily setup another folder under albums called test - stick a couple of hundred files in there?

If so, then edit fstab to point to /test:

//192.168.0.12/albums/test /mnt/Samba cifs password=qqq111,sec=ntlm,_netdev

Save file and reboot Pi

then

ls /mnt/Samba

If files there, then LMS and change the media folder to point to /test

Do a clear library and rescan everything

---------------------

The scan should be relatively fast. Check your files are listed in LMS Music.

Then, shutdown the Pi - halt -p

Restart the Pi - all okay?

-----------------------------

Is the TC disk always connected to network or do you switch it off too at night?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 09:27
Hi
I have followed the procedure regarding NAS mounts i this thread and tried my best to get my Dlink 320L to work but i connect.

Can someone please guide me through this process?

I'm not sure if I should use Samba or NFS connection, how can i tell.

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 10:08
Hi
I have followed the procedure regarding NAS mounts i this thread and tried my best to get my Dlink 320L to work but i connect.

Can someone please guide me through this process?

I'm not sure if I should use Samba or NFS connection, how can i tell.

holst1966

Can you see the NAS folders in Windows? Or do you know the folder structure on this model?

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 11:44
Wayne!

apologies I've been out since lunch back home now

castalla
2014-03-20, 12:28
apologies I've been out since lunch back home now

No probs - has the scan finished?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 12:30
Can you see the NAS folders in Windows? Or do you know the folder structure on this model?

Looks like this:

I dont know if its Volume_1 that is the right way to go?
There is also a NAS link showing up at the left that has its own file structure but the one you see on the pictures is from Volume_1

holst1966

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 12:30

Yes it's finished thanks I've had to turn it off as I'm re installing windows again , will back back soon when I've re installed it

castalla
2014-03-20, 12:41
I dont know if its Volume_1 that is the right way to go?
There is also a NAS link showing up at the left that has its own file structure but the one you see on the pictures is from Volume_1

holst1966

Okay.

Step 1.

Find IP address of Dlink

Login to Pi as root

type

mount -t cifs //IP address of Dlink/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba

Hit return

Any error messages?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 12:50
Okay.

Step 1.

Find IP address of Dlink

Login to Pi as root

type

mount -t cifs //IP address of Dlink/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba

Hit return

Any error messages?

Its asking for password? is the NAS pass?

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 12:57
Its asking for password? is the NAS pass?

holst1966

Yes. Enter it and see what happens.

But - do you also have a username?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:00
Yes. Enter it and see what happens.

But - do you also have a username?

Yes i have a user and pass but i usually don't need them from within my network.
Nothing happens when i add pass, just jumps back to root#

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:03
Yes i have a user and pass but i usually don't need them from within my network.

holst1966

at prompt, now type

ls /mnt/samba

Hit return

Are the files listed?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:05

holst1966

Tried again and it said it was busy, so i looked in LMS and found this, its good right?

holst1966

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:08
at prompt, now type

ls /mnt/samba

Hit return

Are the files listed?

Yes they are there.

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:08
Tried again and it said it was busy, so i looked in LMS and found this, its good right?

holst1966

Not sure, yet.

I really want confirmation via

ls /mnt/samba

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:12
Not sure, yet.

I really want confirmation via

ls /mnt/samba

12 000 songs, guess its gonna be busy for a while :)
holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:13
Okay. Files are listed - good. Don't try anything with LMS yet.

Now - let's test it again.

at prompt:

umount /mnt/samba

ls mnt/samba

to check the mount is now empty

Confirm?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:14
12 000 songs, guess its gonna be busy for a while :)
holst1966

I can see the folders when i type ls /mnt/samba

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:18
I can see the folders when i type ls /mnt/samba

holst1966

Have you done

umount /mnt/samba

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:20
Okay. Files are listed - good. Don't try anything with LMS yet.

Now - let's test it again.

at prompt:

umount /mnt/samba

ls mnt/samba

to check the mount is now empty

Confirm?

Result, is it right?

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:25
Result, is it right?

holst1966

Looks INCORRECT - it's

ls /mnt/samba

Do that to check it's empty

Now:

mount -t cifs //IP address of Dlink/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba -o password=YOURNASPASSWORD

Enter your actual pass

Hit return

Errors? Should just return to prompt ... if so, then ls /mnt/samba

Files listed?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:37
Looks correct

Now:

mount -t cifs //IP address of Dlink/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba -o password=YOURNASPASSWORD

Enter your actual pass

Hit return

Errors? Should just return to prompt ... if so, then ls /mnt/samba

Files listed?

Yes, files listed again..

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:41
Yes, files listed again..

holst1966

Okay.

umount /mnt/samba

------------------------

Step 1A

Do you have WinSCP installed? Able to open /etc/fstab in the editor?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 13:53
Okay.

umount /mnt/samba

------------------------

Step 1A

Do you have WinSCP installed? Able to open /etc/fstab in the editor?

Something strange, files still there after the commands.

I'm writing LS with lowercase, thats correct, right?

Yes i have Win SPC installed.

castalla
2014-03-20, 13:57
Something strange, files still there after the commands.

I'm writing LS with lowercase, thats correct, right?

Yes i have Win SPC installed.

Do umount /mnt/samba again

then

ls /mnt/samba

Should be empty - if not then do reboot and when restarted ls /mnt/samba

holst1966
2014-03-20, 14:01
Do umount /mnt/samba again

then

ls /mnt/samba

Should be empty - if not then do reboot and when restarted ls /mnt/samba

okay, empty after reboot, so far so good,

castalla
2014-03-20, 14:10
okay, empty after reboot, so far so good,

Okay - in WinSCP open /etc/fstab in the editor

Delete anything below the

Automatic settings line .... at bottom of file

Type in as last line:

//NASIP/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba cifs password=YOURPASS,_netdev

Save the file.

Reboot the Pi

At prompt the usual ls /mnt/samba

Files listed?

holst1966
2014-03-20, 14:28
Okay - in WinSCP open /etc/fstab in the editor

Delete anything below the

Automatic settings line .... at bottom of file

Type in as last line:

//NASIP/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba cifs password=YOURPASS,_netdev

Save the file.

Reboot the Pi

At prompt the usual ls /mnt/samba

Files listed?

Took 5 minutes before i could get a connection too the Pi and sorry,no files. shit.

castalla
2014-03-20, 14:32
Took 5 minutes before i could get a connection too the Pi and sorry,no files. shit.

Edit again with

//NASIP/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba cifs users,username=YOURNASNAME,password=YOURPASS

Instead of reboot,

mount -a

Wait

then

ls /mnt/samba

holst1966
2014-03-20, 14:39
Edit again with

//NASIP/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba cifs users,username=YOURNASNAME,password=YOURPASS

Instead of reboot,

mount -a

Wait

then

ls /mnt/samba

mount error (13): Permission denied

castalla
2014-03-20, 14:42

Edit:

//NASIP/Volume_1/MUSIC /mnt/samba cifs users,password=YOURPASS

then

mount -a

ls /mnt/samba

holst1966
2014-03-20, 14:43

I feel we are getting closer but it starts o get late here, i thank you so much for your time and i hope i can get your help again to finish this.

Take care.

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-20, 14:47
I feel we are getting closer but it starts o get late here, i thank you so much for your time and i hope i can get your help again to finish this.

Take care.

holst1966

Okay - pick it up again tomorrow late afternoon

holst1966
2014-03-20, 14:48

Take care.

holst1966

WAIT.
The last edit did the thing.
I can see the files in Putty now.

castalla
2014-03-20, 14:56
WAIT.
The last edit did the thing.
I can see the files in Putty now.

Wow!

Reboot

ls /mnt/samba

Files?

If so - then go to LMS and point it at /mnt/samba

Do a clear everything and rescan

Report back tomorrow - got to sleep now!

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 16:22
Wayne!

Apologies I have been rather busy this evening I installed 7.8.0

Thanks

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 16:26

Scan has finished , I'll check back tomorrow haven't implemented the other Test suggestion as yet, as your assisting another forum member and i don't wish for you to get bogged down when half way through helping others out , may become confusing.

All the best Wayne

castalla
2014-03-20, 16:31
Scan has finished , I'll check back tomorrow haven't implemented the other Test suggestion as yet, as your assisting another forum member and i don't wish for you to get bogged down when half way through helping others out , may become confusing.

All the best Wayne

Just about to crash ....

Scan without errors?

If so, then stop Pi - restart tomorrow.

ls /mnt/Samba

check if files listed

Will pick up the thread later this afternoon

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 16:35
I thought I was going crazy because last evening , Wednesday LMS altered the folder from Samba to /Run , I thought by mistake that I had clicked something , but this evening I have just checked back and once again the folder in Media folder settings has been altered to /Run without me touching anything, heaven knows why it would alter from Samba to run, without intervention from me???, it's really bizarre and to boot with this alternation the Samba folder gets wiped??

Leading to 4 more hours of collating ??, this is really bizarre.

And as I say I haven't altered anything .

Anyway I'll consider this tomorrow.

Thanks

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 16:39
Just about to crash ....

Scan without errors?

If so, then stop Pi - restart tomorrow.

ls /mnt/Samba

check if files listed

Will pick up the thread later this afternoon

The scan went through without errors but this bizarre behaviour of LMS is really strange.

Why it would alter from the Samba file to the run file two nights running is beyond my understanding, I'll have to shut it off as it's 11.40pm here and I would be up till 5 am watching a re Samba fill??

castalla
2014-03-20, 16:43
... still BUT must go

Bizarre indeed.

I suggest removing the _netdev option from the fstab file. Reboot - check that /mnt/Samba has files

If so, then do a new complete scan.

This is crazy!

later ......

Wayne c
2014-03-20, 16:44
This. Is really bizarre I wouldn't mind if I had altered it from Samba to something else but it did it two nights running on its own!!, anyways I'm retiring for the night , thanks again .

castalla
2014-03-20, 23:34
I have no idea what the problem may be! Maybe your LMS install has become corrupted. Don't know.

You have 2 choices:

In both, when you edit fstab - remove the ,_netdev option

1. Use squeezeplug setup to uninstall LMS. Reboot. Reinstall LMS. Run scan again.

2. Start from fresh - rewrite the squeezeplug image completely from new. Install LMS. Do a mkdir /mnt/Samba. Edit fstab. Reboot. Run a new scan.

In both do a ls /mnt/Samba to check files are listed BEFORE you go to LMS and scan.

Both will wipe all your LMS settings and you'll have to setup again from scratch.

Before you do either 1 or 2. Have a look in the scan log on Information tab in LMS - anything obviously wrong? The log may be very complicated but you might just spot something. Hope there isn't a rogue file in your 90K files causing this!!!!

Will be away until later today.

Cheers.

Wayne c
2014-03-21, 03:55
I have no idea what the problem may be! Maybe your LMS install has become corrupted. Don't know.

You have 2 choices:

In both, when you edit fstab - remove the ,_netdev option

1. Use squeezeplug setup to uninstall LMS. Reboot. Reinstall LMS. Run scan again.

2. Start from fresh - rewrite the squeezeplug image completely from new. Install LMS. Do a mkdir /mnt/Samba. Edit fstab. Reboot. Run a new scan.

In both do a ls /mnt/Samba to check files are listed BEFORE you go to LMS and scan.

Both will wipe all your LMS settings and you'll have to setup again from scratch.

Before you do either 1 or 2. Have a look in the scan log on Information tab in LMS - anything obviously wrong? The log may be very complicated but you might just spot something. Hope there isn't a rogue file in your 90K files causing this!!!!

Will be away until later today.

Cheers.

Before I do that I'd like to give collating the library more chance , then I'll delete the ,_netdav

Do I delete exactly as typed above?.

Chat later.

What I have noted though is that accessing the LMS server headless without initiating the commands

Ls /mnt/Samba and Mount -a , in the putty software firstly won't work. in 9000 the Samba folder is always empty until starting these two commands in putty, then as mentioned it fills up with material?.

Anyways until later and thanks again.

Wayne c
2014-03-21, 04:22

I guess if the files aren't listed in ls /mnt/Samba command then the LMS will be empty also am I correct as LMS looks to Samba for its library I guess?.

castalla
2014-03-21, 06:42
I guess if the files aren't listed in ls /mnt/Samba command then the LMS will be empty also am I correct as LMS looks to Samba for its library I guess?.

Back ....

1. The mount command at the command line sets up the file-share mount BUT it's only for that session. When you switch off the Pi then it disappears. We know that works.

2. The fstab entry SHOULD mount the file share everytime the Pi is switched on. We need to get that working. (There's a possible workaaround but that's a last straw).

3. Even so, we still haven't got the scan working properly - that /Run thing is totally wrong. Scan is useless unless files show in /mnt/Samba .

If you want, try editing out the fstab line:

//192.168.0.12/albums/all /mnt/Samba cifs password=qqq111,sec=ntlm

Save the file. Reboot. Check /mnt/Samba

If files there, do the LMS clear and new scan

---------------------------------------------

holst1966
2014-03-21, 08:39
Wow!

Reboot

ls /mnt/samba

Files?

If so - then go to LMS and point it at /mnt/samba

Do a clear everything and rescan

Report back tomorrow - got to sleep now!

Hi castalla
I can see that you are busy.
At least It seems that my troubles are solved, the files are still available from my sqeezebox duet, I have only one question left.

Previously I used a usb hard-drive for my music and before I do a full scan of my NAS drive I would like to clear all cash files in LMS but do not know how to do it?

Any ideas?

holst1966

castalla
2014-03-21, 08:57
Hi castalla
I can see that you are busy.
At least It seems that my troubles are solved, the files are still available from my sqeezebox duet, I have only one question left.

Previously I used a usb hard-drive for my music and before I do a full scan of my NAS drive I would like to clear all cash files in LMS but do not know how to do it?

Any ideas?

holst1966

Good question ! I don't know for Linux - Windows has a clear cache option.

All I've ever done is select the Clear Library and Rescan Everything option on the Basic Settings page. It's in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page.

Try it!

Remember if you add more new music to the disk then you need to rescan using the New and Changed media option so the new items appear in LMS

holst1966
2014-03-21, 09:17
Good question ! I don't know for Linux - Windows has a clear cache option.

All I've ever done is select the Clear Library and Rescan Everything option on the Basic Settings page. It's in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page.

Try it!

Remember if you add more new music to the disk then you need to rescan using the New and Changed media option so the new items appear in LMS

Ok, is that dropdown in the squeezeplug LMS? Cant find it.

holst1966
2014-03-21, 09:24

Found it, must be blind.
I would never solved this myself.
A big thank you from me and a wish that you get a really nice weekend.

Regards from Sweden /
holst1966

castalla
2014-03-21, 09:29

Load LMS via //SQUEEZEPLUG:9000 in a browser

When LMS displays, click on Settings at bottom right of display

This loads the Settings pages.

First tab is Basic Settings -

Change the Media Library Name to DLINK (or what you want)
Check Media Folders contains /mnt/samba

Change Rescan Media Library to Clear Library and Rescan Everthing (in dropdown)

..... and click on Rescan button

Select the Information tab - this will display the process of the scan

------------------

Good luck

Wayne c
2014-03-21, 10:17
Back ....

1. The mount command at the command line sets up the file-share mount BUT it's only for that session. When you switch off the Pi then it disappears. We know that works.

2. The fstab entry SHOULD mount the file share everytime the Pi is switched on. We need to get that working. (There's a possible workaaround but that's a last straw).

3. Even so, we still haven't got the scan working properly - that /Run thing is totally wrong. Scan is useless unless files show in /mnt/Samba .

If you want, try editing out the fstab line:

//192.168.0.12/albums/all /mnt/Samba cifs password=qqq111,sec=ntlm

Save the file. Reboot. Check /mnt/Samba

If files there, do the LMS clear and new scan

---------------------------------------------

Library has finished Scanning after 7 hours !, I altered the line to as mentioned above , shut down and crossed my fingers, typed /mnt/Samba , came back with Samba is a directory , then typed ls /mnt/Samba gave me a full list of tunes.

Will shut the Pi down for a few hours and report back if the library is still there.

Thanks

castalla
2014-03-21, 10:51
Library has finished Scanning after 7 hours !, I altered the line to as mentioned above , shut down and crossed my fingers, typed /mnt/Samba , came back with Samba is a directory , then typed ls /mnt/Samba gave me a full list of tunes.

Will shut the Pi down for a few hours and report back if the library is still there.

Thanks

Looks good .... let me know if it works.

A short-shut down is sufficient to test if the mount is successfully done on startup. It will either work or not!

If a ls /mnt/Samba , after a restart, lists files then it's working

----------------------------------

A note of caution: if it works without _netdev then this is good. BUT _netdev was used in previous versions to delay the mount IF the NAS was not on the network (eg. switched off). Until we can get feedback from others then I can't say what happens if you restart the Pi and the NAS is not on.

I'm starting to suspect that there may be a bug in the fstab mount when _netdev is used. squeezeplug 7 uses a later linux kernel and there was a bug if sec=ntlm wasn't used, so maybe _netdev is another. Hmmm, who knows

Wayne c
2014-03-21, 13:18
Looks good .... let me know if it works.

A short-shut down is sufficient to test if the mount is successfully done on startup. It will either work or not!

If a ls /mnt/Samba , after a restart, lists files then it's working

----------------------------------

A note of caution: if it works without _netdev then this is good. BUT _netdev was used in previous versions to delay the mount IF the NAS was not on the network (eg. switched off). Until we can get feedback from others then I can't say what happens if you restart the Pi and the NAS is not on.

I'm starting to suspect that there may be a bug in the fstab mount when _netdev is used. squeezeplug 7 uses a later linux kernel and there was a bug if sec=ntlm wasn't used, so maybe _netdev is another. Hmmm, who knows

The library installed when I switched the Pi on with the Time Capsule switched on first , I had switched the Pi off by the Halt Command, but not actually physically unplugged the Pi from the mains supply, the red light was still on, I will switch off over night and boot tomorrow morning and provide my findings, I am to be very honest finding the Pi to be very slow at transferring the library to the Squeezebox touch ( far slower than a regular desktop does ).

Also transferring the information to the ipeng program is still happening , I know that's a lot further down the road but I'll switch off for now and see if in the morning the library has been maintained in the Pi memory.

castalla
2014-03-21, 13:38
The library installed when I switched the Pi on with the Time Capsule switched on first , I had switched the Pi off by the Halt Command, but not actually physically unplugged the Pi from the mains supply, the red light was still on, I will switch off over night and boot tomorrow morning and provide my findings, I am to be very honest finding the Pi to be very slow at transferring the library to the Squeezebox touch ( far slower than a regular desktop does ).

Also transferring the information to the ipeng program is still happening , I know that's a lot further down the road but I'll switch off for now and see if in the morning the library has been maintained in the Pi memory.

Just a point: the library is not maintained in memory. What happens is that the Pi interrogates the NAS when you switch it on - it creates a file listing in /mnt/Samba each time. LMS keeps a scan copy in its database, and you only need to rescan if and when you add more files to the NAS. So a rescan for new files should be relatively fast.

The Pi probably doesn't have enough cpu power to handle so many files across a network - but that's the tradeoff for price and low power consumption. As I said the Wandboard would be a pricier alternative.

For ref. my 1200 file library of mp3s scans in about 5 mins max. So 7 hrs. for 90K sounds about right.

Let me know tomorrow if the /mnt/Samba list is there after you reboot the Pi. At the moment make sure the NAS is on before you power the Pi on. We can test the NAS off behaviour later. Let's get this first stage working first!

Wayne c
2014-03-22, 03:50
Just a point: the library is not maintained in memory. What happens is that the Pi interrogates the NAS when you switch it on - it creates a file listing in /mnt/Samba each time. LMS keeps a scan copy in its database, and you only need to rescan if and when you add more files to the NAS. So a rescan for new files should be relatively fast.

The Pi probably doesn't have enough cpu power to handle so many files across a network - but that's the tradeoff for price and low power consumption. As I said the Wandboard would be a pricier alternative.

For ref. my 1200 file library of mp3s scans in about 5 mins max. So 7 hrs. for 90K sounds about right.

Let me know tomorrow if the /mnt/Samba list is there after you reboot the Pi. At the moment make sure the NAS is on before you power the Pi on. We can test the NAS off behaviour later. Let's get this first stage working first!

Good News!, switched the Time Capsule on then Pi and did ls /mnt/Samba and long list of tunes populated , so I guess it's worked for once!, can I ask why the shorter command mnt/Samba ?? , did that yesterday and it said there is a directory?.

Shall I try again to moor after leaving switched off for a 24 hour period just to make doubly sure it works.

Thanks

castalla
2014-03-22, 11:20
Good News!, switched the Time Capsule on then Pi and did ls /mnt/Samba and long list of tunes populated , so I guess it's worked for once!, can I ask why the shorter command mnt/Samba ?? , did that yesterday and it said there is a directory?.

Shall I try again to moor after leaving switched off for a 24 hour period just to make doubly sure it works.

Thanks

Good!

You don't need to wait hours! Just halt -p the Pi . Wait 5 mins. Boot up. Then ls /mnt/Samba . If files are listed then it's working.

We still need to test the outcome when you boot the Pi and have forgotten to switch on the TC first. Leave that until tomorrow?

The command mnt/Samba has no meaning in linux as it thinks it's a file (which doesn't exist). Remember, linux is literal and will attempt to do whatever you type at the command line.

Confirm the reboot works.

Wayne c
2014-03-22, 12:51
Good!

You don't need to wait hours! Just halt -p the Pi . Wait 5 mins. Boot up. Then ls /mnt/Samba . If files are listed then it's working.

We still need to test the outcome when you boot the Pi and have forgotten to switch on the TC first. Leave that until tomorrow?

The command mnt/Samba has no meaning in linux as it thinks it's a file (which doesn't exist). Remember, linux is literal and will attempt to do whatever you type at the command line.

Confirm the reboot works.

Just rebooted now and everything is working as was earlier , so that's twice now , cause to be optimistic at last!. Ok till tomorrow for the next stage.

Thanks

castalla
2014-03-22, 14:22
Just rebooted now and everything is working as was earlier , so that's twice now , cause to be optimistic at last!. Ok till tomorrow for the next stage.

Thanks

Looks good!

Tomorrow:

1. Switch off the TC

2. Boot up Pi

3. Check with ls /mnt/Samba - I expect to see no files

4. Switch on the TC - wait a minute or so

5. Check with ls /mnt/Samba - files listed?

If so, good

-----------------

If no files, then

1. Leave TC on

2. Reboot Pi

3. Check if files listed in /mnt/Samba

-----------------

Report back

Mnyb
2014-03-22, 18:46

Thanks

A thing to consider is that LMS always expect the files to be aviable whenever it runs , you could confuse LMS by not having the share aviable and then LMS would discards it's database forcing a rescan for you next time. And possibly revert it settings re file locations.

You seems to have found tour cifs/samba mount issue good ! and not having a problem anymore :) just saying that with this amount of rebooting and conecting disc etc you could get a situation where LMS forgots the file locations even if the server is ok,with it .
So,this means that the share must be up and running and fully mounted on the server before LMS starts , this is usually not a problem as these things are done first when the systems boots but if takes time it could be. An issue .

castalla
2014-03-22, 19:04
A thing to consider is that LMS always expect the files to be aviable whenever it runs , you could confuse LMS by not having the share aviable and then LMS would discards it's database forcing a rescan for you next time. And possibly revert it settings re file locations.

You seems to have found tour cifs/samba mount issue good ! and not having a problem anymore :) just saying that with this amount of rebooting and conecting disc etc you could get a situation where LMS forgots the file locations even if the server is ok,with it .
So,this means that the share must be up and running and fully mounted on the server before LMS starts , this is usually not a problem as these things are done first when the systems boots but if takes time it could be. An issue .

Good point. never encountered the problem myself as my NAS is always on (as is LMS). Theoretically, the _netdev option should handle a delayed mount. There's confusion whether later versions of linux kernels need _netdev with cifs. I can't find anything definitive.

Also, OP never answered my query whether the NAS was always on ...

The Pi uses so little power that I'm surprised the OP shuts it down overnight!

Wayne c
2014-03-23, 10:53
Good point. never encountered the problem myself as my NAS is always on (as is LMS). Theoretically, the _netdev option should handle a delayed mount. There's confusion whether later versions of linux kernels need _netdev with cifs. I can't find anything definitive.

Also, OP never answered my query whether the NAS was always on ...

The Pi uses so little power that I'm surprised the OP shuts it down overnight!

Good afternoon , Castalla hope your Sunday is going fine?,

A little information about the server, it isn't kept on all the time unfortunately as my partner doesn't like leaving electrical items on 24/7 due to the potential of risks involved ( the time capsule and all editions to the current one ) have a known problem of overheating and the power supply burning out very quickly ( bad Apple design , yes they do occasionally make lemons! ), most time capsules have a life of 18 months max and most of version one have probably burnt out long ago.
I think that the issue mentioned above is a valid point, if LMS cannot readily see a library it may get confused and do the /run thing I mentioned the other evening?.
The main issue now is I feel due to the folder being so large, and I have noticed that Ipeng is having major problems with lag behind what is actually going on music wise. I would guess ( and it is a guess as I know nothing of the Pi and it's ability to handle information ) that this is due to the Pi. I was playing Eva Cassidy live from Blues Alley and it kept stopping and starting (akin to buffering).

Any thoughts or suggestions.

I was thinking about leaving the Pi on overnight but then again I would have to shut the TC down and then you may get the problem as mentioned in the post two above this one by Mnyb.

Thanks.

castalla
2014-03-23, 11:43
Good afternoon , Castalla hope your Sunday is going fine?,

A little information about the server, it isn't kept on all the time unfortunately as my partner doesn't like leaving electrical items on 24/7 due to the potential of risks involved ( the time capsule and all editions to the current one ) have a known problem of overheating and the power supply burning out very quickly ( bad Apple design , yes they do occasionally make lemons! ), most time capsules have a life of 18 months max and most of version one have probably burnt out long ago.
I think that the issue mentioned above is a valid point, if LMS cannot readily see a library it may get confused and do the /run thing I mentioned the other evening?.
The main issue now is I feel due to the folder being so large, and I have noticed that Ipeng is having major problems with lag behind what is actually going on music wise. I would guess ( and it is a guess as I know nothing of the Pi and it's ability to handle information ) that this is due to the Pi. I was playing Eva Cassidy live from Blues Alley and it kept stopping and starting (akin to buffering).

Any thoughts or suggestions.

I was thinking about leaving the Pi on overnight but then again I would have to shut the TC down and then you may get the problem as mentioned in the post two above this one by Mnyb.

Thanks.

I haven't much advice, I'm afraid. I guess if you are 'trained' to switch the TC on first, then the Pi, that it should all work okay.

You have a large library - it's going to take time to scan this whatever you use. I just rescanned my 1.2K using the Cubieboard - took 4:34 mins. So, 90K would be approx. 360 mins. A more powerful device like the Wandboard might be faster.

Buffering is almost always down to network delays - especially with wifi.

Are both the Pi and TC wired or wifi?

Wayne c
2014-03-23, 11:53
They are both wired via the Ethernet , can I ask a question regarding the Pi I've tried to find an answer online but have yet to find anything?, when you load your SD card with LMS etc onboard is all information kept on the SD card? Or is anything transferred over to the Pis internal memory?. I was wondering if it's possible to shut the Pi down completely and remove the SD card then insert another SD card inside? Without any negative consequences.

Regarding the Wandboard I'm seriously thinking of buying one of the Quad core models? For LMS useage, as it seems that Ipeng and the Pi don't interact very well at all.

castalla
2014-03-23, 12:44
They are both wired via the Ethernet , can I ask a question regarding the Pi I've tried to find an answer online but have yet to find anything?, when you load your SD card with LMS etc onboard is all information kept on the SD card? Or is anything transferred over to the Pis internal memory?. I was wondering if it's possible to shut the Pi down completely and remove the SD card then insert another SD card inside? Without any negative consequences.

Regarding the Wandboard I'm seriously thinking of buying one of the Quad core models? For LMS useage, as it seems that Ipeng and the Pi don't interact very well at all.

I just rescanned using my Joggler (atom-based) - 3:20 to scan.

You can remove the SD card (when Pi is off) and insert another card. Everything is stored on the card.

Wayne c
2014-03-24, 08:28
I just rescanned using my Joggler (atom-based) - 3:20 to scan.

You can remove the SD card (when Pi is off) and insert another card. Everything is stored on the card.

Afternoon Castalla , hope this finds you well can I ask a question about LMS please?, in the normal sense ( if you own one ) you would use LMS to manage your music library and have for example a Squeezebox Touch as the player to provide the music to listen to, if you have a desktop computer, LMS and no Squeezebox , how can you access the music please? I ask this because I've tried running LMS on my desktop and ipeng , Ipeng keeps looking for a player and says no player found ?, is there apiece of software that can be used on the desktop to mimic the Squeezebox touch?.

Obviously with regard to the Pi it's Squeezeplug but is there something what can be downloaded to the desktop and acts like a Touch? Or other logitech device as far as LMS is concerned thanks Wayne.

castalla
2014-03-24, 08:34
Afternoon Castalla , hope this finds you well can I ask a question about LMS please?, in the normal sense ( if you own one ) you would use LMS to manage your music library and have for example a Squeezebox Touch as the player to provide the music to listen to, if you have a desktop computer, LMS and no Squeezebox , how can you access the music please? I ask this because I've tried running LMS on my desktop and ipeng , Ipeng keeps looking for a player and says no player found ?, is there apiece of software that can be used on the desktop to mimic the Squeezebox touch?.

Obviously with regard to the Pi it's Squeezeplug but is there something what can be downloaded to the desktop and acts like a Touch? Or other logitech device as far as LMS is concerned thanks Wayne.

Yes ... here's a Squeezeplay for Windows - http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/files/SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r328.exe

jimbobvfr400
2014-03-24, 10:34
Or triodes squeezelite running on the PC. Squeezelite is headless which means it doesn't have an interface on the desktop, you'd use the web interface in your browser or an app on another device. There is a "local player" plugin that automates installing and running squeezelite on your server. Just install like any other plugin.

Squeezeplay is essentially the touch interface.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CrankyTom
2014-04-09, 11:29
Hi, I can successfully mount my Asus connect USB drive as a network share to the raspberry pi so that LMS can scan the files using the following command:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=test,password=test,sec=ntlm,rw,file_mode= 0777,dir_mode=0777 '//asusrouter/sharedfolder (at sdb1)' /mnt/samba

But when I reboot pi I have to manually log into pi with putty to enter the above command to get the network share working again.

So I
nano /etc/fstab in putty and scroll to the bottom and enter the following command:

'//asusrouter/sharedfolder (at sdb1)' /mnt/samba cifs iocharset=utf8,username=test,passwword=test,sec=nt lm 0 0

But when I reboot pi the above fstab command just doesn't work, any suggestions on where I am going wrong in the fstab command line?

CrankyTom
2014-04-09, 11:35
I spotted a spelling mistake in passwword so changed it to password in fstab:

'//asusrouter/sharedfolder (at sdb1)' /mnt/samba cifs iocharset=utf8,username=test,password=test,sec=ntl m 0 0

Unfortunately the above still won't mount the drive on a reboot.

castalla
2014-04-09, 11:58
I spotted a spelling mistake in passwword so changed it to password in fstab:

'//asusrouter/sharedfolder (at sdb1)' /mnt/samba cifs iocharset=utf8,username=test,password=test,sec=ntl m 0 0

Unfortunately the above still won't mount the drive on a reboot.

That's strange syntax.

Why are you using '//asusrouter/sharedfolder (at sdb1)' - probably fstab doesn't accept the quotes. Spaces are also problem.

Is the folder actually called /sharedfolder (at sdb1)

Try:

//asusrouter/sharedfolder\040(at\040sdb1) /mnt/samba cifs iocharset=utf8,username=test,password=test,sec=ntl m 0 0

CrankyTom
2014-04-09, 12:12
Hi castalla well spotted and thanks for the quick reply.

To give some context in answering your question, if I disable share with account (effectively no user name and password) in the asus router and add the following command in fstab:

//asusrouter/sharedfolder /mnt/samba cifs iocharset=utf8,username=guest,sec=ntlm 0 0

Everything works great, reboot the pi and can access the USB files connected to the asus router via pi, and import these into LMS.

However I'm not keen on not having a user name and password assigned to the shared folder as this has been shown to be a possible vulnerability on the asus router.

So I then turn on the option in the asus router to share the files via samba with a user name and password. I can access these from my windows and mac without any issue, but the link in windows changes to this:

\\asusrouter\sharedfolder (at sdb1)

I guess this is how the asus router handles or deploys the suer name and password policy.

So if I add the following to fstab without the
' symbol, pi complains about invalid syntax because of the
( bracket symbol.

To circumvent this I tried the following in pi:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=test,password=test,sec=ntlm,rw,file_mode= 0777,dir_mode=0777 '//asusrouter/sharedfolder (at sdb1)' /mnt/samba

By including the
' symbol pi doesn't complain about the bracket
( as an invalid character and it all works great until I have to reboot pi.

But this just doesn't work in fstab:

I agree with you that I also think that fstab is not happy about the ' symbol at the beginning of the command line, but if I remove it then complains about the
( bracket symbols and there's no way to remove these from within the asus router if sharing with a user name and password.

CrankyTom
2014-04-09, 12:41
Yay, so happy, it's fixed!

Anyone having the same issue I found the following link:

http://raetsel.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/samba-shares-spaces-and-fstab-with-a-bit-of-octal-thrown-in/

I essentially replaced the spaces with \040 which gives me this:

//asusrouter/sharedfoler\040(at\040sdb1) /mnt/samba cifs iocharset=utf8,username=test,password=test,sec=ntl m 0 0

Works fine now on reboot and still have user name and password assigned to samba share.

More info on octal code for ASCII here: http://www.asciitable.com/

castalla, I want to say a BIG thank you, had I not read the previous 9 pages in this post I never would have got to this stage. The advice you gave Wayne c helped me a lot.

stever88
2014-05-10, 07:04
I just wanted to say thanks to castalla too. I'd been using a Pi, squeezeplug with u USB drive and decided to get a WD mycloud NAS. I couldn't get it to work from the setup screen of squeezeplug no matter what I tried. After following the advice you have given in this thread it is now up and running and playing music as I type. I would never have gotten here without this thread and your help.

For info for anyone else with the same nas the line in the fstab I used to get it working is
//192.168.1.4/public/music/touch /mnt/samba cifs password=pass,_netdev

I don't have a password set so don't know why pass is used but it was in the thread somewhere. I also had to change the share name from "shared music" to "music" as I couldn't resolve the space. I will try with \040 as suggested by Crankytom, so the line will read.
//192.168.1.4/public/shared\040music/touch /mnt/samba cifs password=pass,_netdev

I'll report back when I've tried it.

Thanks again. :D

stever88
2014-05-11, 04:32
Tried replacing the line in fstab this morning adding \040 and renaming the folder to 'shared music' and it all works fine.

billm555
2014-05-13, 09:32
So now my issue is that when i do a LMS scan it sees the folders but in the scan log I get:
[14-05-13 10:57:16.9876] Audio::Scan::scan (37) Warning: Could not open /mnt/samba/Alice in Chains/Alice In Chains/07 Shame In You.mp3 for reading: No such file or directory

but its goes through a bunch and all error out then quits after like 30 sec and no files in my library

Used this in my fstab:
//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/ cifs password=pass

also tried

//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/ cifs guest,_netdev 0 0

but Same results.

going to try nfs, see if I have any better luck

Bill

castalla
2014-05-13, 09:39
So now my issue is that when i do a LMS scan it sees the folders but in the scan log I get:
[14-05-13 10:57:16.9876] Audio::Scan::scan (37) Warning: Could not open /mnt/samba/Alice in Chains/Alice In Chains/07 Shame In You.mp3 for reading: No such file or directory

but its goes through a bunch and all error out then quits after like 30 sec and no files in my library

Used this in my fstab:
//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/ cifs password=pass

also tried

//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/ cifs guest,_netdev 0 0

but Same results.

going to try nfs, see if I have any better luck

Bill

Try with nfs.

But you seem to be stabbing at various combinations almost randomly.

Make a new directory:

mkdir /mnt/samba/music

Try:

//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/music cifs username=guest,password=,sec=ntlm

billm555
2014-05-13, 09:49
Try with nfs.

But you seem to be stabbing at various combinations almost randomly.

You bet I am, have no idea what Im doing. :)

Will try the above and check back in awhile.

username=guest,password=,sec=ntlm

So user= guest and pass = (blank)?

Thanks

Thanks
Bill

castalla
2014-05-13, 10:43
You bet I am, have no idea what Im doing. :)

Will try the above and check back in awhile.

So user= guest and pass = (blank)?

Thanks

Thanks
Bill

Type exactly what I wrote above - or you can copy it in windows then go to fstab edit and insert. Make sure any other refs to the nas address are removed

billm555
2014-05-13, 11:48
Ok did exactly as you wrote, did mkdir /mnt/samba/music 1st
if i do lst /mnt/samba/ it shows up with a few other folders, itunes, backup, media, etc

then did the fstab line
then mount -a

got no such file /directory exists

Sorry about the random things I tried. Did a little googling. Hate to bother people but I'm starting to get fustrated.

Im done for today. Start up again tomorrow.

Im almost tempted to just use a usb drive in the PI, only have like 20g of music. But I hate to let this beat me.

Have a good night, thanks again for the help.

Bill

castalla
2014-05-13, 12:46
Don't give up - it will work!

cifs:

Maybe you don't have guest or anonymous access set on the nas. Then just change the user and pass to what you know are correct for the nas. If possible, switch off the nfs feature - let's start with what we know should work!

nfs:

//nas-address:/public/nfs /mnt/samba/music nfs username=name,password=pass

All the refs. I've found include the : after the ip-address and before the directory.
Not sure if ,sec=ntlm is necessary for nfs

It's trial & error I'm afraid.

billm555
2014-05-14, 10:58
Well thanks to the help of Castalla I finally got my NAS mounted. Not sure what did the trick but I believe it was an issue with my NAS itself. Made a few changes but unfortunatly all at once so Im not sure what actually fixed it.

I made a new user and pass on the NAS, also turned off all the services that I wasnt using.

I used this in my fstab:

//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/ cifs password=pass,_netdev

Thanks again,
Bill

ps my NAS is a WD Mybookworld (few years old)

castalla
2014-05-14, 11:03
Well thanks to the help of Castalla I finally got my NAS mounted. Not sure what did the trick but I believe it was an issue with my NAS itself. Made a few changes but unfortunatly all at once so Im not sure what actually fixed it.

I made a new user and pass on the NAS, also turned off all the services that I wasnt using.

I used this in my fstab:

//192.168.0.102/public/music /mnt/samba/ cifs password=pass,_netdev

Thanks again,
Bill

ps my NAS is a WD Mybookworld (few years old)

Excellent! Bear in mind that the ip-address should be static (not dhcp assigned)

billm555
2014-05-14, 11:17
Excellent! Bear in mind that the ip-address should be static (not dhcp assigned)

Ive been meaning to go and assign static to my NAS and PI.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Bill

castalla
2014-05-14, 14:43
Ive been meaning to go and assign static to my NAS and PI.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Bill

At some point unless you fix the ip-address of both then your router will likely give them new addresses. Do it asap and it's one less headache you've avoided!

You can assign the Pi a fixed address in the squeezeplug setup - the NAS admin must have something similar.

Good luck!

bukow
2015-02-25, 15:00
Hi There!
I've installed squeezeplug v.7.50 on my RPI B+ in order to have a low power consuming squeezebox server.
Squeezebox is succesfully connected to it, but with empty music library.
My problem is how to set-up the media folder. Music files are stored on NAS (Iomega StorCenter ix2-200)
I enabled NFS service on it, but can't find the way to make files visible by the squeezebox server.

IP of the NAS is 192.168.1.100
In Windows, the music files directory location is seen as: \\BUKOW\Music

Please help!

Second day....
Reinstalled squeezeplug 3 times, turned off NFS on NAS and tried with Samba... still nothig
Still empty library.
I won't make it without your help :/

# /mnt/hd1/itunes
# /mnt/hd1/media
# /mnt/hd1/media/audio
# /mnt/hd1/media/pictures
# /mnt/hd1/media/playlists
# /mnt/hd1/media/video
# /mnt/hd1/media/misc
# /mnt/hd2/...
# /mnt/hdx/...
# /mnt/nfs/...