PDA

View Full Version : Duet stops playing (like Cybrand) but different, I think :-)

magielsr
2014-03-17, 11:03
My Duet stops playing after a while (no fixed duration of playing). It stops with internet radio stations and Spotify and others. It is annoying and my children keep saying: Yes, you shoud have bought another brand like Sonos. I read the problem of Cybtand (I am also from the Netherlands, maybe that's the reason?) very well and did not find anything that could help me (at least I think). Both the player and handset have the latest firmware, my.squeezebox.com is also up-to-date. The network (wireless) signal is good (92%).
The remedy: when I touch on the handset the symbol for 'Next Track'(>>) it resumes. Is there somewhere as hidden cache that gets full? I have disabled all sleepfunctions on my computer, disabled the screen going black.
In the advanced settings I have 'ticked' the box for 'preventing going on sleep'.
So please give me some help and if you ask me if I am playing througt the Logitech Media Server or My Squeezebox, please tell me how I can determine that. I am using Windows Seven Home Premium.

Recoveryone
2014-03-17, 11:46
I am not a big internet listener myself, but to test out if it is the player stream your own music and see if the same results occurr. From reading the forums over the years, depending on the the time length of time listening what may be happening is a shift in the internet handshake protocal causing a loss of signal from the source. just my 2 cents

magielsr
2014-03-17, 14:46
Thanks for the answer, but what do you mean in plasin English?

Mnyb
2014-03-17, 14:56
Does it also stop if play your own music filÚs store don your computer instead of something from the internet .

magielsr
2014-03-18, 01:57
Thanks, no I never play my own music through the Duet because I have no clue how to do this! 'Sorry for my ignorance in this matter, but that's the way it is. Though I would like to learn this.

toby10
2014-03-18, 02:26
Try connecting the Duet directly to www.MySqueezeBox.com as a test (i.e. eliminate LMS and your computer as the potential culprit). In fact, turn your computer off when you try this. Now play some internet streams (can't play Spotify this way). If problem persists then you likely have a network or ISP issue. If it plays fine you likely have a LMS or computer issue.

Mnyb
2014-03-18, 05:13
Thanks, no I never play my own music through the Duet because I have no clue how to do this! 'Sorry for my ignorance in this matter, but that's the way it is. Though I would like to learn this.

1. You do that by installing Logitech Media Server on for example your PC

bpa
2014-03-18, 06:23

OP must have LMS installed as otherwise how can they play Spotify through a Duet ?

garym
2014-03-18, 07:07

In browser go into LMS webGUI (right click on LMS icon in lower right tray, select web control), then lower right corner select SETTINGS. Then "basic settings" tab, then browse to the location of your music folder and select that. then LMS will scan your music files. When it is done, these should show up under ARTIST, ALBUM, etc. in the main LMS control page.

magielsr
2014-03-20, 13:09
Yes, I succeeded in playing my own music via the Duet: same thing happens, it stops after a while and pushing the 'Next Track' buttom (>>) resumes it.
For Toby10: could you please talk a little more in the layman's way?

Mnyb
2014-03-20, 14:04
Yes, I succeeded in playing my own music via the Duet: same thing happens, it stops after a while and pushing the 'Next Track' buttom (>>) resumes it.
For Toby10: could you please talk a little more in the layman's way?

What did you play mp3 files ? Something using more bandwith like a flac file ?

Question is both the computer running LMS ( the one with your music ) and the reciever ( the part of duet you connect to your hifi ) wireless ? A lot of other stuff using the wifi ?

magielsr
2014-03-21, 00:55
I play MP3's.
Next: Question is both the computer running LMS ( the one with your music ) and the reciever ( the part of duet you connect to your hifi ) wireless ?
How can I find out?
There is nothing else using the wifi (as far as I know).

Mnyb
2014-03-21, 01:21
I play MP3's.
Next: Question is both the computer running LMS ( the one with your music ) and the reciever ( the part of duet you connect to your hifi ) wireless ?
How can I find out?
There is nothing else using the wifi (as far as I know).

:) is there any cable conecting computer to router or the reciever to router (router= that internet thing with your wifi=wireless )

Try Tobys sugestion play a normal (not spotify ) internet radio station with the computer off .

magielsr
2014-03-21, 09:07
Thanks for being so patient! My router is conencted to my computer by a cable. Then there is a wireless connection to my extender and then, again, wireless to the Squeezebox Receiver. Network strength is 90%. I have done the following experiment: Duet direct to the router and Duet via the extender tpo the router. In both cases the music stops after a while, without noticing any significant change in the time-period.
I have not done the experiment you suggested: playing an internet radio station with the computer switched of. I am going to do this right now!
Once again, I appreciate all you help very much!

garym
2014-03-21, 15:24
regarding your test of duet receiver wired to router vs wifi. Just plugging in an ethernet cable to receiver from router does NOT change to duet receiver to wired (from WIFI). One mys plug in the cable and then go into the duet receiver network setup to change it the ethernet (wired). Did you do this? If not, you were still on WIFI even when you thought it was wired.

magielsr
2014-03-23, 05:02
I followed the advice and played an internet radio station with the PC turned off anmd it stopped after 60-90 minutes, resumed by pressing 'Next Track'. I repeated it and the result was the same.
Are my conclusions right:
First: It cannot be not the PC. Secondly (see my previous post) when I conencted to the network direct to the router, it had the same result as connecting through the extender and trhen to te router: stopping after a while, so the extender is not the problem.
Conclusion (at least mine) is that it must be the router causing to stop?

garym
2014-03-23, 05:07
I followed the advice and played an internet radio station with the PC turned off anmd it stopped after 60-90 minutes, resumed by pressing 'Next Track'. I repeated it and the result was the same.
Are my conclusions right:
First: It cannot be not the PC. Secondly (see my previous post) when I conencted to the network direct to the router, it had the same result as connecting through the extender and trhen to te router: stopping after a while, so the extender is not the problem.
Conclusion (at least mine) is that it must be the router causing to stop?

see my earlier post. Are you sure you actually connected via ethernet (and not WIFI). simply plugging in cable does not automatically switch to ethernet from WIFI.

magielsr
2014-03-23, 09:46
Hi, I am normally connected like this:

Router - Cable - PC
and
Router - Wireless - Extender - Wireless - Duet Receiver and Remote (network strength at remote says 90%)

For test reasons I connected as follows (with the same results):

Router - Wirelles - Extender - Wireless - Duet Receiver and Remote (playing an internet radio station, not spotify, no local music and PC switched off)

I know that simply plugging a network cable in, does not change the way it is connected, but that is not the case here (see remark about this in posting of Cybrand, iirc)

garym
2014-03-23, 10:07
OK. Agree that the PC is not the problem as you have same issue with regular internet radio via mysb.com (no PC or local LMS involved). WIFI extenders can be problematic at best. Have you considered something like ethernet over powerline adapters or MoCa adapters to get internet to your Duet location without need for WIFI connection. I'm currently using both of these approaches at my weekend home in lieu of ethernet cabling and either works very well.

magielsr
2014-03-24, 09:06
OK. Agree that the PC is not the problem as you have same issue with regular internet radio via mysb.com (no PC or local LMS involved). WIFI extenders can be problematic at best. Have you considered something like ethernet over powerline adapters or MoCa adapters to get internet to your Duet location without need for WIFI connection. I'm currently using both of these approaches at my weekend home in lieu of ethernet cabling and either works very well.

Thanks, I don't think the extender is the problem: Router - wireless - Remote & Receiver did the same. I will consider using the powelines, but I am afraid it won't help and then I have bought it for nothing. Maybe I can try to borrow it from soemone.
Is there a way to test the router? But however, my internet connection and the one of another computer are always working, downtime is practically zero.

toby10
2014-03-24, 10:58
... But however, my internet connection and the one of another computer are always working, downtime is practically zero.

Are those computers streaming a station/service online for 90 minutes uninterrupted?
Did you try the Duet Receiver actually wired directly to router? Confirmed it is using wired via Receiver information (i.e. no WiFi signal)?

magielsr
2014-03-26, 01:21
Hi, did not try that, because that is a major operation due to the location of everything! But I'll consider it.
I think it is either a 'mechanical' problem with or the router or the Duet receiver:
1. Playing without the Extender: no solution, no difference;
2. Playing with the PC switched off: no solution, no difference.
Leaves then only the router and the Duet receiver, imho.
Can you agree with that or do I overlook something important?
Cheers!

toby10
2014-03-26, 01:55
Yes, either the router or duet or modem or isp or wifi..... so you need to eliminate more possibilities.

Not a major operation. Move Duet to router, wire it, connect simple headphones for testing, let play for a while. Try PC streaming non-stop as well.

garym
2014-03-26, 04:38
Yes, either the router or duet or modem or isp or wifi..... so you need to eliminate more possibilities.

Not a major operation. Move Duet to router, wire it, connect simple headphones for testing, let play for a while. Try PC streaming non-stop as well.

and when you wire the duet to test, be sure to go through network settings to tell it to use ethernet. plugging in ethernet cable doesn't automatically switch to wired.

magielsr
2014-03-26, 08:45
I'll move the Duet to the comuter and use headphones!! I did not think of that, I was afraid I had to move my sound equipment also to the location of the router :). This proves again the value of this forum, thanks!

garym
2014-03-26, 10:49
I'll move the Duet to the comuter and use headphones!! I did not think of that, I was afraid I had to move my sound equipment also to the location of the router :). This proves again the value of this forum, thanks!

and don't connect to the computer itself, but to the ROUTER with ethernet cable.

magielsr
2014-03-27, 12:48
Today I did the suggested experiment: connected the Duet receiver by networkcable to the router. It now works perfectly during almost 4 hours with streaming from an internet radio station. What conclusions can I draw?
Is it now either the wireless ourput of the router or the wireless input of the receiver? At least that is what I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Next step I am going to make tomorrow is trying another router: connect it wireless to the Duet receiver.
Hopefully it is the router, because if it is the Duet receiver: what to do?

w3wilkes
2014-03-27, 13:56
I would think the next step is to connect wireless to the router leaving the extender out of the picture. If this works fine it would seem to point to the extender or the wireless network from the extender to the receiver. What channels are in use between the router and the extender and also from the extender to the receiver?

garym
2014-03-27, 13:59
Today I did the suggested experiment: connected the Duet receiver by networkcable to the router. It now works perfectly during almost 4 hours with streaming from an internet radio station. What conclusions can I draw?
Is it now either the wireless ourput of the router or the wireless input of the receiver? At least that is what I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Next step I am going to make tomorrow is trying another router: connect it wireless to the Duet receiver.
Hopefully it is the router, because if it is the Duet receiver: what to do?

duet receivers were never great when it came to the WIFI antenna/connection. Not broken, just not very good. I interpret your tests as the Wifi connection to your duet receiver is simply not good enough. I had similar problems in distant past. I moved to ethernet over powerline connectors (one at router, one at duet location) and problem solved. Also keep in mind that sometimes moving the router a matter of inches or changing position just a bit can really improve things. It is not just strength, but also interference from other local networks, microwaves, cordless phones, fridges, and all sorts of other things. the RF spectrum is a messy place.

jimbobvfr400
2014-03-27, 14:22
The duet apparently doesn't have the best WiFi performance.

There's a guy on here who did as little fiddling and improved it greatly, thread here

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100887

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

magielsr
2014-03-28, 01:02
duet receivers were never great when it came to the WIFI antenna/connection. Not broken, just not very good. I interpret your tests as the Wifi connection to your duet receiver is simply not good enough. I had similar problems in distant past. I moved to ethernet over powerline connectors (one at router, one at duet location) and problem solved. Also keep in mind that sometimes moving the router a matter of inches or changing position just a bit can really improve things. It is not just strength, but also interference from other local networks, microwaves, cordless phones, fridges, and all sorts of other things. the RF spectrum is a messy place.

When you use powerline connectors, is it then absolutley necessary to plug tthos direct in the main or can you also plug them into an exentsion cord?

garym
2014-03-28, 05:08
When you use powerline connectors, is it then absolutley necessary to plug tthos direct in the main or can you also plug them into an exentsion cord?

Not an expert on this, but I recall that the instructions talk about plugging directly into the mains plug.

jimbobvfr400
2014-03-28, 06:52
They do but I've set them up for friends a couple of times and used an extension lead with no issues, YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

magielsr
2014-03-29, 01:48
Yesterday I installed the poweline connectors (very easy to do, indeed) and this morning the streaming still went on! So I think the problem is solved. A big thank you to all of you who offered advice, thanks!!!