PDA

View Full Version : Bufferring issue with HD files from NAS; same files OK from Imac

Jandeman
2014-03-10, 13:06
Hi Folks,

first post :)

I am having a buffering issue on my SB classic, only with HD files (24/96 Flac's) which are stored on my QNAP NAS which is running LMS 7.7.2. Other file types are doing just fine.
Funny thing is that if i redirect ("change music source") my SB towards my Imac loaded with LMS 7.7.3 which is then transferring the very same files from the very same QNAP NAS: no problems !!

(btw: I think i double checked all relevant LMS settings on the NAS comparing them to the setings on the iMac)

What do you guess?
Thanks!
Jan

----------------------
QNAP TS-210 (LMS 7.7.2); SB3 classic , iMac 10.9.2 (LMS 7.7.3) ; everything gigabit wired
----------------------

epoch1970
2014-03-10, 13:14
Welcome!
The SB3 only handles 24/48 files at most. So the NAS (or iMac) has to transcode in real time.
You're seeing buffering issues because the NAS is CPU-bound by the job. The iMac is much more powerful and handles it ok.

Jandeman
2014-03-10, 15:19
Thanks Epoch! For the welcome and clear answer :)

Would an upgrade to a SB touch ( if i can find one) or any other recommended audio streamer help in this respect?
Replacing the NAS would also be an option in my case (5 years of uncompromised service, but runnig out of storage space)

Thanks again!

jimbobvfr400
2014-03-10, 15:27
In theory yes I guess so, the touch does support up to 24/96 so wouldn't require transcoding, although for the price current touches go for the NAS might be cheaper.

Alternatively you could permanently convert the files to 24/48

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Recoveryone
2014-03-11, 15:47
In theory yes I guess so, the touch does support up to 24/96 so wouldn't require transcoding, although for the price current touches go for the NAS might be cheaper.

Alternatively you could permanently convert the files to 24/48

From a price point Jim is 100% right, you be better off finding an old P4 PC or Mac and add a external drive to hold your music. You come out better on both sides, more cpu power and storage space. Prices for a used Touch is close to $300 and higher now days. You can find and older PC for almost free and storage is dirt cheap.

acanning
2014-03-13, 03:20
It depends on what your priorities are.

If you're concerned about the sound quality, and I would guess that you are if you're bothering with the high-res files, then you need to get a Touch to benefit from the increased resolution. A new server solution will carry out the transcoding but what is the point when this will negate the possible sound improvements. If you can't find a Touch anywhere I would permanently transcode the files to 24/48 and then put them on the Nas.

Regards