PDA

View Full Version : differnetial versus incremental backsup

Kellen
2014-02-27, 10:52
Howdis all.

I have finally made complete my goal of ripping my collection of close to 800 cds. What a pain the the asses job that was. I have been saving my flacs to a second hard drive as the backup strategie. Now my want is to get a good backup plan to keep all of my work at its saftest levels so that my job of ripping isnt needed again.

I use a program called Acronis to make an image file of my operating system which I keep in case of a drive failure. I have never needed to use it but feel good knowing that it is there for me. I would like to use Acronis to do regulars of my backup flacs. I will do a full backup of my flacs now but should I use differential or incremental backups afterwards? I don't expect to be seeing more than 50 cds a year purchased from now on.

dasmueller
2014-02-27, 11:39
I add to my backup also when I add new folders to my library. It's simple and then both always match.

DJanGo
2014-02-27, 13:54
I will do a full backup of my flacs now but should I use differential or incremental backups afterwards? I don't expect to be seeing more than 50 cds a year purchased from now on.

Well its like do you have a notebook or a laptop?

(Notebook is original a brandmark from Toshiba - laptop a brandmark from IBM) so mostly no one has a Laptop / Notebook.

So its your fav style - do you think you mass changed in the next future your lib - means new tags, new folderpics?
If yes you should have some "diff/incremental" backup.

If not - just only copy newer files, or files without archivbit into your "fullbackup"

@home i'll prefer only full with updates - @office i prefer full with some of the lastest changes.

A full only is something like xcopy /D source destination
full with lastest changes is something like @ 14.00 do a shadow copy from the source @ 18.00 mirror source to destination.

But thats the same like do you prefer blondes; redheats or brunettes :o

cparker
2014-02-27, 16:42
I use a program called Acronis to make an image file of my operating system which I keep in case of a drive failure. I have never needed to use it but feel good knowing that it is there for me. I would like to use Acronis to do regulars of my backup flacs. I will do a full backup of my flacs now but should I use differential or incremental backups afterwards? I don't expect to be seeing more than 50 cds a year purchased from now on.

Look for a 3-2-1 approach, ie. 3 forms of backup, 2 backups onsite and 1 backup offsite. I use a product GoodSync it will automatically keep track and just push the changes from source to destination and you can set this up to run daily/mthly or whatever schedule you want. I have this setup to run in idle time, so when various family laptops are left on, the changes are pushed out to them from the main system plus I also have a backup on a hard disk that lives in the car's entertainment system.

In answer to your original question, this may help;
http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/resource/solutions/backup/2005/incremental-backups.html

JJZolx
2014-02-27, 17:54
Many people don't use traditional backup software and methods for backing up media libraries due to their (usually) static nature. Once you rip and tag a CD, the files created may never change. What many of use do instead is create a mirror copy of the library and then periodically update this mirror.

Using directory and file syncing software, the first time you make a backup will be the same as doing a full backup and will take the same amount of time. After that, only changes you make to the master will have to be updated on the copy, and will generally take just a few minutes. If you happen to make some wholesale changes to your master library - for example, if you made a library-wide tagging change to all files - then the next time the backup procedure is run it will have to copy all files again. But that should be rare.

A couple of advantages to this approach are 1) it's very simple and 2) it requires no more space on the backup device than the size of the main library. There are some potential pitfalls, however - it means that you have only one copy of each file in your backup, unlike a traditional backup that may keep each generation of change, as well as keeping backup copies of deleted files. The traditional method would let you go back and restore the files as it was in July of 2013, for instance. That might be good if you made a change to the file's tagging that you found was in error and you wanted to undo. Or if the file became corrupted, or accidentally deleted.

d6jg
2014-03-03, 14:33
Since upgrading to 7.7.2 I have changed strategy a little. LMS 7.7.2 is the first version that I have experienced that allows multiple music folders. I now have my music stored in Music and Music2014 - the former never changes and the latter is of course getting added to regularly. This has had an impact on my backup strategy as follows:

LMS is installed on a QNAP NAS with a second QNAP as a local backup device but the strategy could apply to any Linux servers.
"Music" has been rsynced to QNAP2 with LMS on it in case of need on a weekly basis until 31/12 but the job is now switched off.
"Music2014" is now rsynced every Sun.

Offsite backup is provided FOC courtesy of Google Play Music where I run MusicManager on a PC which sends the contents of Music2014 up to the Cloud. As with the rsync job Music used to be the source so I have a full copy of all my mp3s available via Google Play but I am nearing the 20,000 track limit. When I do I shall set up Music2015 or whatever and rsync that to the second QNAP and also to a second Google Play Account.

Couple of notes.
My collection is high res mp3 only but I understand Google will transcode FLACs as they get uploaded.

Most of the time I can stream remotely from my LMS via VPN but when I cant for some reason I have the Google Play Music streaming to fall back on.

RonM
2014-03-04, 11:36
Look for a 3-2-1 approach, ie. 3 forms of backup, 2 backups onsite and 1 backup offsite. I use a product GoodSync it will automatically keep track and just push the changes from source to destination and you can set this up to run daily/mthly or whatever schedule you want. I have this setup to run in idle time, so when various family laptops are left on, the changes are pushed out to them from the main system plus I also have a backup on a hard disk that lives in the car's entertainment system.

I personally use Second Copy (http://www.secondcopy.com/), which has worked well for me. Sounds a lot like GoodSync.

In reality, I mostly do copies at the time a file is created/obtained. For CD rips, I make three copies at once using dbPoweramp -- one to my main music archive (on my main computer) and a second to the music server. Both of these are flacs. I then have dbP make a third lossy copy (at 320 kbps) to my lossy archive. When I download files, I process them through MP3tag in the first instance to get the tags right, and then copy to the two flac locations above, and convert to MP3 for the lossy archive.

So I have three copies of most everything from the start.

Periodically, I copy both the lossless and lossy sets to a small external hard drive (I like to use my Thermaltake BlacX dock (https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001949), which allows me to use a naked 2.5" drive). I use Second Copy for this, with the setting that adds new files not already on the drive, and overwrites older files that have a newer version on the origin drive. The populated back-up drive then goes to my bank's safety deposit box, and gets rotated every few weeks. These backup drives are 1tb units that are getting uncomfortably full. I may have to go larger soon.

R.

aubuti
2014-03-04, 11:38
Offsite backup is provided FOC courtesy of Google Play Music where I run MusicManager on a PC which sends the contents of Music2014 up to the Cloud. As with the rsync job Music used to be the source so I have a full copy of all my mp3s available via Google Play but I am nearing the 20,000 track limit. When I do I shall set up Music2015 or whatever and rsync that to the second QNAP and also to a second Google Play Account.

Couple of notes.
My collection is high res mp3 only but I understand Google will transcode FLACs as they get uploaded.
Which is why Google Play Music would not be a suitable offsite backup for anyone's FLAC files....