PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for the ReadyNas Duo v1

stobby256
2014-02-23, 06:45
Hi All,

Ive got an OLD ReadyNAS V1, with 2x1 terabyte disks. The logitech media server constantly plays up, never scans beyond any artist starting with 'S'.. Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, enabled SSH and gone in that way... Can't unistall squeeze centre ... click on remove and nothing happens... it aborts the scan for no reason... believe me I've tried it. :mad:

So,

Please advise me on an upgrade !! To what? Logitech only support ReadyNAS... I'll need a two disk solution obviously, and something that will back up to the internet over FTP. Synology uses RSync, which is a pain...

Thanks in advance!
Steve, UK

stobby256
2014-02-23, 07:11
So to make it clear...

I need a NAS that will back up to the internet via FTP.. Synology will only do that via RSYNC, ReadyNAS uses FTP, Buffalo does not use FTP at all...

So readyNAS it has to be :eek:

Someone recommend a new version please...

DJanGo
2014-02-23, 09:58
So to make it clear...

FTP is one of the oldest buggiest Protokolls that only can handle File transfer in a poor way.
rsync and other newer Protokolls can handle "copy newer files only" and some other stuff.

Btw: if you can ssh to a nas there is mostly a way to enable cronjobs and put some scripts inside some path.
A ftp copy script isnt that hard to write :p

Pascal Hibon
2014-02-24, 11:36
Hi All,

Ive got an OLD ReadyNAS V1, with 2x1 terabyte disks. The logitech media server constantly plays up, never scans beyond any artist starting with 'S'.. Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, enabled SSH and gone in that way... Can't unistall squeeze centre ... click on remove and nothing happens... it aborts the scan for no reason... believe me I've tried it. :mad:

So,

Please advise me on an upgrade !! To what? Logitech only support ReadyNAS... I'll need a two disk solution obviously, and something that will back up to the internet over FTP. Synology uses RSync, which is a pain...

Thanks in advance!
Steve, UK

ReadyNAS is fine, as long as you go for an x86 processor in the NAS. This goes for any NAS you would buy.
I'm running LMS on a NVX with no issues at all and it is very fast. Sure enough, the NVX has an x86 processor.