PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Wandboard user...

zoula
2014-02-08, 13:44
Hi,

My Duet is now officially dead :( I now need a replacement. I'm looking for a Raspberry Pi or a Wandboard running piCorePlayer. or some other soft. I'm also changing my loudspeaker system for a 4 ways active diople system, that will be control with a Najda DSP board.

The good thing about this board is that it can use I2S inputs. The raspberry PI is "plug and play" with this board, but I would really like to use a Wandboard for this. It seems better in every ways. Despite all my research I don't seem to find a real answer about if the wandboard could output I2S signal. Is it possible with the Wandboard???

Thank you

kesey
2014-02-09, 07:48
Hi,

My Duet is now officially dead :( I now need a replacement. I'm looking for a Raspberry Pi or a Wandboard running piCorePlayer. or some other soft. I'm also changing my loudspeaker system for a 4 ways active diople system, that will be control with a Najda DSP board.

The good thing about this board is that it can use I2S inputs. The raspberry PI is "plug and play" with this board, but I would really like to use a Wandboard for this. It seems better in every ways. Despite all my research I don't seem to find a real answer about if the wandboard could output I2S signal. Is it possible with the Wandboard???

Thank you

http://forums.wandboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=281&p=1090&hilit=i2s&sid=f8ffdfe17ee4a849db2f847704dd16f4#p1090

"The only place to access I2S (without modifying kernel source, anyway) is on the signals that go to the audio chip on the carrier board. It's the small 32-pin chip near the center of the carrier board, on opposite side of the processor module. The schematics are in the download page on Wandboard.org, so you can check which pins are which."

http://www.wandboard.org/images/downloads/wandboard-user-guide-20130208.pdf

To see the pins on the carrier board, do a search for I2S on the .pdf

Pascal Hibon
2014-02-09, 08:17
Hi,

Thank you

I think you can connect the Najda board via USB (like some sort of DAC) or at least by Toslink. This way you don't need to fiddle with I2S (and drivers).
Simply run CSOS on the Wandboard and you have a Squeezebox replacement: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99395-Community-Squeeze-OS-F19-Release-1

zoula
2014-02-09, 09:29
Pascal,

No the Najda don't allow for a USB connection. The USB is only intended for programming. The inputs are SPDIF Toslink analog and I2S. Using the I2S inputs give me the advantage that I could place a Wandboard centimeters from the input and reduce all conversion too the minimum.

Kasey,
Is there a way to get the signal from the GPIOs with a different Kernel???

JohnSwenson
2014-02-09, 16:52
Pascal,

No the Najda don't allow for a USB connection. The USB is only intended for programming. The inputs are SPDIF Toslink analog and I2S. Using the I2S inputs give me the advantage that I could place a Wandboard centimeters from the input and reduce all conversion too the minimum.

Kasey,
Is there a way to get the signal from the GPIOs with a different Kernel???

The Wandboard has I2S signals on its IO connectors. Right now there is no driver that is actually putting anything on those signals. JackOfAll is working on an I2S driver for use with our CSP1 hardware, it MAY be possible to use that with those I2S outs. There is an issue with that, the driver he is writing is syncing to an external clock, the Najda does not work that way, it doesn't provide a master clock. The driver would have to be modified to work with an internal clock source.

Another option is to start with the existing driver for the codec on the Wandboard, unfortunately it runs in slave mode with the codec providing the timing signals. It could be rewritten to have the Wandboard provide the timing.

I'ts not that the wandboard can't do it, it's just that nobody has actually done it yet.

John S.

zoula
2014-02-09, 18:52
John,

Thank you, This is exactly what I was thinking. To bad it's not available yet.... The Wandboard as a clear advantage over everything for a dedicated media server, but with no I2S support it's a no go for me, and it don't look like a priority for the Wandboard team. I gess I'll have to go with a Raspberry PI.

Thank you,